Don't you miss Agalloch?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by chopeth, Oct 16, 2016.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Thinking about the future break after this last The Dillinger Escape Plan album, playing some background Agalloch at home, I feel sad for bands who don't achieve what they think they deserve in the world of music business. While there are a lot of new interesting bands breaking ground here and there every now and then, there's a lot of old unispired bands as Metallica and G'n'R I couldn't care less at the moment feeling so much music gap and massively being the focus of attention.

TL,DR,

I love Agalloch, and feel sorry for their split a few months ago. Plus, nobody seems to miss them too much. Any other good bands recently (or not so much) disappeared you miss?

2. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

I don't really know. I mean they released 5 records in their time and basically defined a sound of their own.

The only way from there is stagnation (which angers one half of the fanbase) or including new elements (which angers the other half).

To me Agalloch quitting is like it would have been if Opeth broke up after Ghost Reveries.

It's a loss, sure. But they have done more than enough to justify such an early ending.

Durtal likes this.
  3. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I miss them!

But I can understand why they split too

4. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

They had a good run atleast!

20 years or so I'd say

5. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

Fair to midland made some pretty good music, but they went bankrupt.

Malevolent_Croatian likes this.
  6. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

I will miss agalloch, but I think they've made enough music. Chapters have to close anyway.

7. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Where da likes at yo.

8. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

If it is for stagnation and boredom, I applaud their decission, especially after a few very good albums, but if there's impotence for not reaching the audience and commercial peaks they want to reach, it's a pity. I think TDEP are in that second situation.

By the way, nice reference to Opeth, after Heritage they should've change name, but it's their band to decide, so...

9. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

Fair to Midland.

There's a good chance that their best music was still ahead of them. Totally devastating.

10. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I definitely enjoyed Agalloch, but I always got the impression from reading about them that John Haughm was a bit of a control freak and minor "trver-than-thou" diva.

Not really surprising considering he's from Portland. :fawk:

11. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

It seems like they had a very good run and stopped when they felt that had done all they could do with that particular project. Good on them, and I can't wait to see what the members have in store for us in the future.

12. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I've read J. Haughm is creating a new project called Pillorian:

"Pillorian takes inspiration from blackened metal, dark folk, and avantgarde music"

So, as somebody said, Agalloch 2.0, I guess

The rest of the members are apparently in another band called Khorada with the vocalist of Giant Squid

13. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Oh man I didn't even know they split up. :( I love these guys, but the last album kinda slipped past me. Still, though, they made some incredible albums and beautiful music.

I kinda got that impression from John too, Xaios.

14. HaloHat

HaloHat 7 string Baritones

I miss [but still listen to] a band I discovered here at the forum that had a member change/i.e. same name different band after their second release.

End of 2014, after their third release, with the member change, it looks like they are done with Karhu and moving on. Gonna give a listen to the last release [I paid for the "Survival of the Richest" release off BandCamp] and if I like, I'll buy. Like their first release too.

Karhu
    I love the bands release "Survival of the Richest". Check them out at BandCamp and listen to song#7 - The Dream. The song is too long but from about 2:45 - 4:25 there are some nice changes and rhythms happening :hbang: Great band, too bad. Killer drummer, both guitarist sang well, good bass, nice mix etc.

https://karhu.bandcamp.com/album/survival-of-the-richest-20-super-crazy-hd-edition

https://metalshockfinland.com/2014/11/06/karhu-band-decides-to-call-it-a-day/

15. Julia.rose.waters

Julia.rose.waters SS.org Regular

I miss seeing them live.

16. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Not metal, but definitely will be missing Brand New

17. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I loved their first few albums, but was very unpleasantly surprised by The Serpent and the Sphere. Maybe it was for the best!

18. Thorgrim_Rexor

Thorgrim_Rexor CROM!

Agalloch is probably one of the greatest bands ive ever heard and yet i really only listen to them when im in a certain mindset. Beautiful soundscapes and in the most simplistic ways. It is a loss, i never got to see them live.

19. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I got to see them in a very small venue once. 'Twas epic. Pretty sure some of their parents were in attendance as well; as the singer and bassist are from my home state of Montana and that's where the show was. Glad I got to see them before they broke up-- it was right around the time they released Marrow of The Spirit. I also rather liked Serpent and the Sphere -- I guess it was a good one to end on.

I listened to John Haughm's band today--Pillorian, and that band has promise. However, it's clear that he wasn't the only one responsible for the magic that was Agalloch.

20. fps

fps Kit

I'm heartbroken for many reasons that we won't see that new Soundgarden record which they were ready to record. I feel DEP's time had come - was it possible to keep pushing that envelope musically? They have stayed true to their vision throughout their career, and have utter integrity.