Don't Fear the (Carolina) Reaper

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dredg, May 20, 2017.

1. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

There's actually a lot of skepticism about the chili. The claim comes from a farmer who says he accidentally created it, which makes little sense considering that dedicated chili growers have been actively trying to dethrone the Reaper for years. Furthermore, the only evidence of claim comes from a single lab testing what appears to be a single chili. The vetting process for dethroning the reaper is quite extensive, and will require a good amount of chiles to be verified and tested. We're also looking for the average scoville rating, as some reapers have tested in the range of 2.2 million, with the average being around 1.5 million and the official world record showing 1,569,300 scovilles.

Also, the whole "this pepper will kill you" talk is utter nonsense. It will only kill you if you have an allergy or other condition... and at that point you're not going anywhere near chilis in general, especially the superhots. There's plenty of fools on the internet who have decided to disrespect higher concentrations of capsaicin. There's even an entire youtube channel dedicated to showing a kid eat ludicrous extracts, which is slightly more entertaining than watching Ted Barrus puke his brains out.

AxeHappy likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Yeah... I'm not trying the reaper. I tried the bhut jolokia and the scorpion and it felt like I got bear maced in the mouth. Hell I'll take getting pepper sprayed again over eating a reaper. more power to you for eating something that hot.

3. IGC

IGC OCDG

4. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

eating spicy/hot foods is a texas past-time.

years ago a friend tried to get me to eat some tiny chili pepper, not sure what. when i wouldn't, he tried to shove it in my mouth, but turn away and it hit my cheek...my skin burned for a few minutes afterwards.

5. Dredg

I remember spilling some 800,000 shu extract on my finger once. Got hives all over it for like 3 weeks.

6. Dredg

sorry for the late reply, can't believe I missed your comment.

in a sense, you did get bear maced in the mouth. Nearly all conventional pepper/mace sprays use capsaicin as the active ingredient. There's a booth at Texas RenFest where a guy will feed anyone brave/stupid enough a form of edible mace. If you don't cry, you get a badge. He doesn't like me, because he can't hurt me.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

I for one like to not use my colon as a flamethrower, so I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon.

8. Dredg

You get used to it after a week :)

9. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

You just need to stock up on chapstick.

This thread led me to buy a bottle of Sling Blade - I've been pouring it on everything.

10. Dredg

Friggin' delicious, ain't it?