Does the change tension affect set-in necks?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by GÜMERSINDO, Oct 26, 2017.

1. GÜMERSINDO

GÜMERSINDO SS.org Regular

Hello there, I´m planning to tune down my explorer from E standard 10-46 gauge) to C or B with a new set of strings (10-60 seven string set; I´ll remove the first string so it will be 13-60).

I´ve don this several times with some other guitars, but they were bolt on, and this time is different so my concern is about how much can affect the change of tension on the neck joint of Gibsons and set in necks in general.

I don´t want to adjust the truss rod, is just to change the string gauge and see how it sounds. If I´m happy with the sound I´ll take it to a professinal luthier for a professional set up.

Thanks.

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

adjusting the truss rod is no big deal though.

use a tension calculator to check the new tension. if it's close to the old tension then you won't need an adjustment.

3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Don't worry - there's a first time for everything. You can't really mess up a trussrod if you only do 1/4 turn at once and let it rest to adjust...

4. GÜMERSINDO

My worry actually is about the neck joint, if the change of tension may harm it. I don´t have the proper tools to measure the neck relief so the truss rod wouldn´t be adjusted.

5. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

If you think about it, steelstrings attach the full string pull to a small surface on a 2.5mm thin spruce top and use string sets like 0.56-0.13 (E standard tuning). I wouldn't be worried to put that same set on an electric guitar at all when tuning to B...

exo likes this.
  6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Yeah the tension would be high with those big strings if your guitar was in standard, but if you're tuning own to B then the tension isn't so strong. Like, if you used even slightly smaller strings than what you're suggesting for turning down to B I feel like the strings would be even lower tension than standard strings in standard tuning.

7. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

you will not damage anything.

8. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Do it yourself, mate, not a big deal messing up with the truss rod. As advised, only a quarter or turn and a couple of hours resting. No need for "professional" truss rod turners if you are a little bit careful.

Hollowway likes this.
  9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Bonus points for using “affect” instead of “effect.” This grammar nazi can sleep easy now.

And yeah, I’m on board with these guys. Nothing more than a truss rod adjustment, at the most.

chopeth likes this.
  10. austink

austink SS.org Regular

If anything it may just be a 1/4 turn. I changed my prs in standard (9s) to drop C (10-52) and didn't have to touch the truss rod. Since you are going even lower than that, I am confident you won't do any damage to the neck joint.

11. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

If you're really concerned about the neck stress then go to stringtensionpro.com and put in your string gauge for E standard 10-46 and add all the separate string tensions. That's the tension on the entire neck.

Then change the values to 13-60 with drop C or B and calculate the tension again. It shouldn't be that much different at all.

12. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Absolutely no danger to the joint whatsoever.

I've strung a guitar that came with 9s, with 13s in standard before now. Bolt on joint, no issues. Truss rod needed tightening a bit to correct the forward bow in the neck. It's been rock solid ever since and that was 3 years ago.

A set joint will be much stronger than a bolt joint so should be even less of a concern.

13. GÜMERSINDO

Hey, thanks for the inputs guys. I´ll dare to do it as a 13-60 in B seems to be way less tension than 10-46 in stardard. The guitar is setted up with a medium/high action so I don´t expect to have any fret buzz issues, therefore, a truss rod adjustment wouldn´t be required (at first instance); my concern was only about causing some damage in the neck joint due to tension changes, but it doesn´t look so.

14. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

The only issue you may find is the intonation. 13-60 seems to me a too thick gauge for C, but it would work nice for B standard.

15. GÜMERSINDO

I use 10-46+60 on sevens tuned in E standard + B and works good in 25,5", I don´t know how will apply to the Gibson escale as I like to keep certain tension; It helps my sloppy hand, hehe