Does battery brand and quality matter for active guitar/bass electronics?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by AkiraSpectrum, Jun 19, 2017 at 3:37 PM.

1. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has noticed any significant difference between brand name 'higher end' 9V batteries vs. 'budget' brand 9V batteries in their bass or guitar. I can get 9V batteries at the dollar store for next to nothing but was wondering if I am better off with the name-brand batteries for #1 longer life #2 better performance.

Does anyone have any experience with budget batteries lacking significant life and performance in comparison to name-brand 9V batteries?

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Performance :
    No.

Battery life:
    Yes.

One of my EE Professors back in college did a study at one point where he bought like 100 of each major brand and type of battery and tested their life under load. He found pretty consistently that the higher end batteries lasted noticeably longer (under the specific midrange mA load he used). IIRC they lasted longer per dollar of cost as well.

But 9v batteries last so long in a guitar I'd say try the dollar store ones. Why not?

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. AkiraSpectrum

This was helpful, thanks!
    Yeah, I might just throw in a dollar store battery to see how far it goes.

4. dxjxrose

dxjxrose SS.org Regular

lithiums 9v will hold 9v right till the end of there charge where as a alkaline will slowly drop below 9v over the course of its life.... i run lithiums in all my active guitars

EverDream and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  5. AkiraSpectrum

Great info, thanks!

6. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

Actually, I would say I do notice a performance difference, not only life expectancy. I doubt I could quantify it entirely but cheap batteries with actives just don't seem to have as much oomph.

This is my genuine feeling on the subject. That said, I usually swap batteries once a year. While it's a hefty cost given most of my guitars are EMG loaded, it's worth just doing it.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Most of my EMG loaded guitars can take years before the batteries need to change- but I usually put standard 'name brand' batteries in. Duracell 90% of the time. Life span of the battery is one concern, but I'd also be concerned about the battery leaking and damaging the instrument. I'm always paranoid that a cheap battery will die quickly, explode, and leave all kinds of leaky-battery-nonsense in the guitar.