Does anyone here mix nickel and Steel wound strings?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Camer138, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Camer138

Camer138 SS.org Regular

I think I may try this for my next batch of strings, though I haven't seen anyone say that they do this. From my perspective it seems like a good idea for extended range guitars to get more brightness out of the lower strings.. can anyone confirm my suspicions? Or perhaps shoot them down with some odd science behind mixing strings that I am unaware of..?

2. Jessy

Jessy Banned

That's a very interesting idea. The low strings are always going to be duller than the high ones, and I just get the brightest strings I can, because I don't believe that tone can be even, so I take all the harmonics I can (all steel for me for several years). But I'd really like to hear results. My main concern would be volume difference for the magnetic pickups.

3. Camer138

Camer138 SS.org Regular

that's the idea, I use a .070 gauge for my low A to keep the tension, a .068 also works well, but with that high of a gauge the string gets alot more mellow sounding which isn't a good thing for such a low string. I wonder if volume difference would be a problem.. though I doubt it'd be nothing that adjusting pole pieces can't fix.