Does anyone here have a degree in economics?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wannabguitarist, Mar 28, 2009.

1. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing now? I'm getting to the point in my community college career where I actually have to make up my mind and transfer instead of sitting around and collecting associate's degrees:lol:. This is something I've been interested in since high school but I don't actually know anyone with an econ degree.

2. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

my mom did. she worked at state farm for 10 years, then when she was pregnant with me she became a stay-at-home mom.

3. wannabguitarist

That's exactly what I want to do! :lol:

4. scottro202

haha sweet man, hope all works out for you :yesway:

5. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

The econ guys I know are all just doing PhD programs now, so the answer is: after school you just do more school!

6. wannabguitarist

:lol: yayy, the only person I know that's currently getting one is going for a law degree afterwards

I was actually being a bit sarcastic and referring to the stay at home mom thing:lol:

7. scottro202

o haha :lol:. sarcasm detector doesn't work over teh interwebz, my bad

8. AvantGuardian

AvantGuardian Orange Vigilante

I have a degree in Finance which involved taking a good amount of Econ, but the Finance side seems a little more real-world applicable. Its been my observation that the Econ majors are more on the academic track, while Finance majors are looking to get into banking or something. That being said, I'm a financial analyst at a small consulting company and one of the other analysts here was an Econ major.

9. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

get pregnant? :lol:

10. wannabguitarist

Interesting, most UCs don't seem to differentiate between the 2.

Isn't that the point of going to college:scratch:

11. JBroll

JBroll Hard-On For Freedomâ„¢ Contributor

If you go into mathematical economics (you'll need a lot of math, as the name indicates - a lot of modern analysis, really) you'll have guaranteed jobs all over the place... but if you get a real math degree you'll have even more guaranteed jobs all over the place *and* you'll make a living off of terrifying 'normal' people.

Jeff

12. wannabguitarist

While I'm not afraid of math I'm curious to how much more math would be necessary for an econ degree. I know I have to complete up Calc 3 to even transfer.

13. JBroll

A lot of economics depends on math - basically, the less 'fuzzy' you get, the more math you use. Math is absolutely necessary for a lot of stuff, and mathematical results very frequently are used in economics - a lot of modern analysis winds up being used, for example - so in any route you go you'll need to deal with it somehow.

Jeff

14. wannabguitarist

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a bit more intimate with my calc textbooks:lol:. Having to take a lot of math to get a decent "real" job seems like a given nowadays. I don't see why people avoid it like the plague.

JBroll likes this.
  15. JBroll

Let me know if you need any help with the stuff, I do teach it for a living so I know a few things here and there. Consider at least minoring in math... your focus will be more on analysis (measure and integration theory, as far as I know) than on algebra, geometry, 'advanced' (i.e. not the basic required-for-analysis-) topology, and so on.

Jeff

wannabguitarist likes this.
  16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Probably a dead thread by now, but... While I was most certainly NOT an econ major (american lit), my roommate was, and is currently doing economic analysis for a small telecom consulting firm whose primary business seems to be providing expert testimony (and the analysis upon which it is built) for class action lawsuits against the telecom industry. He loves it.

Aside from that, a lot of macro hedge funds are looking for guys with economics backgrounds, but expect (as JBroll points out) to really get the quant side of econ down cold, and even then while the hedge fund industry as a whole is certainly in for the long haul, considering how much downsizing has occured in the past year alone I don't know how easy it would be to bank on landing a job at a hedge fund right out of school.

The other area an econ background would get you in of course would be economic policy, but that could very well require a PhD (as well as relocating to DC).

wannabguitarist likes this.
  17. wannabguitarist

This thread won't be dead until I transfer out of community college :lol:

What exactly do you do (if you don't mind me asking)? From your posts I've read on here and mg you seem to either really know your shit, or you work in some field related to economics (and hopefully know your shit :lol:).

18. metallatem

metallatem SS.org Regular

I was an econ major, but I graduated college almost 20 years ago, back when we used an abacus and slide rule.

Went on to get an MBA in Finance, and I'm now a bond trader.

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol: I work for a custodial bank in the investor services branch, doing performance analytics. I hope I know my shit, but sometimes I wonder! :lol: I'm looking to move from the custodial side (which is pretty boring, IMO - basically, we prepare data that primarily gets used for board reports, and as a check against investment manager data) to the management side where I'd be doing the same basic things, but it'd be way sexier because my analysis would be used as "feedback" to fine-tune management strategies.