Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Hemi-Powered Drone, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

After four episodes, I think I can say that I'll enjoy Capaldi as the Doctor way more than I enjoyed Smith. I had hard time liking him as the Doctor, especially after Tennant's portrayal. Looking back though, I must say that Tennant wasn't has good as I remembered him, probably because I've watched a couple of Hartner and Baker's episodes. Ecclestone was indeed a great follow-up of the War Doctor.

Now back to Cappaldi. He seems to bring a "vintage" look to the doctor, if I can say. He has a very dark eccentric side and seems to look like he has less humans emotions or connection with them, wich I think is better has he's less likely to have another useless romantic story with one of his companions.

2. asher

asher So Did We

Just watched the first Capaldi episode.

short: I liked him quite a bit, feels adapted old school... which is a plus, for me. And I get the sense that's how Capaldi would do it, forced vintageness or no.

I've seen a large majority of old Who (parents) and so we started watching the new series. I bailed at the end of Martha. I loved Eccleston and liked Tennant alright (and odds and ends I've seen of Smith I've liked him fine too).. but the sidekicks were all horribly written, doing the same story over and over, etcetc. I know I left at the end of Davies' reign, but I just couldn't deal with the taking-itself-too-seriously, over the top, overedited, etcetc. But I might pick it up again now.

3. Abaddon9112

Abaddon9112 SS.org Regular

Watched part 1 of the finale last night. I personally thought it was hella good; my favorite of the new season unless next week can outdo it. I think a lot of people guessed who the big reveal at the end was pretty early on, but it was still a good twist. They did a lot to keep you wondering till the end.

I liked the season overall, but a lot of the episodes felt sort of like filler (as well as being kind of soap opera-ish). Still better than the vast majority of the 11th Doctor stuff though, IMO. This was Capaldi's first real edge-of-your-seat adventure episode, and he was excellent. I think this was sort of a buffer season to introduce the new doctor and what he's all about, and my hope is that next season will be a little more engaging.

I've gotten totally into this stuff over the last few months. Doctor Who isn't exactly "hard" sci-fi or anything, but it's a very entertaining show that has some real creative gems in it. Definitely looking forward to what's to come.

4. FretsOnFyre

FretsOnFyre SSO's sociopath

Wow, how have I not found this thread yet?

Also, can someone tell me how the spoiler tags work? I can't find them and I don't want to spoil last night's episode :wallbash:

5. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

I like Capaldi much better than Matt Smith. I didn't really like his Doctor very much for some reason. Nothing against him as an actor...I just feel what they wrote for him was 'meh.' Tennant was my fav "modern" Doctor before Capaldi.

EDIT: I love that the inside of his coat is red lol. I'm such a sucker for black & red :p

He definitely carries the old-school Who vibe, but with a modern twist.

I also love that they wrote in his being Scottish into the 1st of his episodes

My fav Doctor will always be Tom Baker because that's who I grew up on.

Nice little bit of (maybe accidental) trivia.... just before the announcement of who was going to play the new Doctor, Peter Capaldi played a W.H.O. Doctor in World War Z. I like to think that was intentional, even if it wasn't.

6. FretsOnFyre

FretsOnFyre SSO's sociopath

I figured out spoiler tags!

First of all, Peter Capaldi is PHENOMENAL. I haven't disliked any Doctor I've seen, so maybe that's not saying much, but Capaldi hooked me right from the beginning.

I watched Dark Water at 12:30 in the morning, and honestly
    the speculation about Missy being the Master has been all over the internet for about six months so it wasn't a huge surprise, but the reveal was well done. Michelle Gomez was fantastic. I do have a sneaking suspicion that Moffat's trying to pull a fast one on us, and it will turn out to be someone else, but I'm looking forward to the finale either way.

And even though I knew the Cybermen were coming, the scene with the water draining out of the tanks was brilliant.

7. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

I thought that part was well done, too

8. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

I have to admit, I cried during the exchange right after the "go to hell" line.

I know, I'm such a baby. But in my defense, it was 2:30 or so in the morning.

9. The Q

The Q The Engineer

Yeap they managed to keep it decent. Thankfully for us fans...

10. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

Doctor: You betrayed me … betrayed my trust. You betrayed our friendship, you betrayed everything that I’ve ever stood for. You let me down!
    Clara: Then why are you helping me?
    Doctor: Why? Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference?
    Doctor: Stop it with the eyes. Don’t do that with the eyes. How do you do that, anyway? It’s like they inflate!
    Doctor: We’ve got work to do. This is it, Clara, one of those moments.
    Clara: What moments?
    Doctor: The darkest day. The blackest hour. Chin up, shoulders back. Let’s see what we’re made of, you and I. (must admit...i thought they were going for a Green Lantern rip off at this line lol)

Ya man....it was a very well written, emotionally charged exchange. Not gonna lie.... I dig the Clara/Capaldi Doctor chemistry better than the Smith-Clara-awkwardness. I am wondering if she'll eventually get replaced with a new companion.

11. Abaddon9112

Abaddon9112 SS.org Regular

I was actually expecting Clara to be out by the end of this season, but I'm not entirely sure now. She's been getting gradually more fed up with the new Doctor, and that culminated in the exchange at the beginning of the last episode. And she's been building a life for herself on Earth with Danny, which the Doc is kinda interfering with.
    I was in the camp who thought Missy might have actually been some future version of Clara Oswald, returning for revenge on the Doctor after some great tragedy, but that turned out to not be the case.
    But if everyone makes it out of the next episode safe and sound, her opinion of Doc 12 could change and she could stick around for a while.

12. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

Yes, that exact exchange, ghostred7.

13. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Over a year old bump!

Man, Capaldi is really my favorite doctor of the serie's reboot so far. The last season was awesome, the first episodes just hooked me back, couple of slower episodes but overall, it was a really great season.

Haven't catched the christmas special yet, will try to catch is up once I get back to my place.

14. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Season 9 sh!t all over season 8. Capaldi is awesome, but the writing for season 8 was crap.

9 was awesome! They totally redeemed themselves. I havent seen the christmas special yet but I hope Clara stays dead. I cant stand that woman. I'm tired of all this falling in love with the doc stuff. Give me Donna Noble back!

15. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Same for me. And Elisabeth Sladen, well... :yum:.