Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Hemi-Powered Drone, Apr 30, 2011.

1. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

2. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

*SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS*

Only when Karen showed up, that was it. Cool that she came back for it.

That arc was perfect, although the ending of the Pandorica season blew my mind when I went through it for the first time :lol: but I do agree. It was good, just didn't accomplish much besides the obvious regeneration haha.

It's up there for sure, I think he hit the nail on the head when he said "I'll always remember when The Doctor was me" AND LOOKED AT THE ....ING CAMERA. Great nod at the fans that he really enjoyed his time there as The Doctor.

3. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

So I met someone near and dear to our hearts.. also reppin' the Devin Townsend Project if you can see it under my jacket!

[​IMG]
    IMGP7745 by nrrfed, on Flickr

They won't have the digital download ready until the 16th so I just set up the lighting the best I could and took a picture with my DSLR. Turned out decent, but obviously the digital download will be full quality.

4. metaldoggie

metaldoggie Pro smeghead

Greetings fellow Whovians!

I am new to the forum......just wanted to drop in and say hi!

5. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i tried REALLY hard to try getting into this show time and time again. and the reason why i tried more than 4 or 5 times is because i seem to befriend hoovians quiet easily. its just not working for me.

the first time i tried, i heard that the guy who made Sherlock did some work with doctor who. i couldn't find any comparison aside from the accent. then the 'epic' story line, and it didn't work. then the 'comedy' of it and it still didn't work.

i'm trying to take the show seriously, only to have aliens farting non stop, or plastic eating people, or a screw driver/wand that seems to be the answer to the universe.

am i really missing something here? :S

6. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Whelp, just began watching the rebooted series from the beginning. Never really followed it before, but just finished rewatching Battlestar Galactica with the wife and decided to jump into it.

7. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

My girlfriend also watch that show. She totally hates my new windows background ahaha

[​IMG]

I saw that trick on the web. Just get every frame, set them as your background picture and make them change every 1-3-5 minutes, to liking.

8. Vostre Roy

Bump for the new season :)

9. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

Did you watch the premier? I was sadly disappointed. It felt...lost? Wandering? Kind of aimless?

And the last bit with
    Matt Smith's doctor making that phone call really hit me in the feels just because I truly loved that Doctor so much. I feel like it took away from Capaldi's limelight at a time when we should really only be thinking of his incarnation.

Oh well. We'll just see what will come of this next season. I want to like Capaldi, but this episode wasn't written well imo.

10. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

I thought it was fantastic, and that Capaldi absolutely nailed it.

11. Vostre Roy

WOuldn't say that it was the best episode ever, but I think it was on par with the usual first episode after a regeneration. We'll see after a couple of episode if Capaldi will be a good or a great Doctor, I know back when Smith took over Tennant, it took me almost an entire season to get with Smith, now I think that both did an awesome job

I think that Strax has became my favorite secondary character. That show I think has some of his best quotes ever lol

12. metaldoggie

metaldoggie Pro smeghead

Not a bad episode, but kind of a rehash of "Girl in the fireplace".
    The situation they were in was kind of a throwaway backdrop to the post-regeneration stuff. I kind of wish he were thrown into a dire situation from the get-go and had to deal with this stuff at the same time.
    I agree Strax is a great comic relief character.

I did like Matt Smith but he could get a bit whiney at times.....we'll see how Capaldi does with the Daleks next week.

13. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

Thought it was pretty good. Darker in many places. The equations all over the floor, the ambiguity over who killed the half-face man, the fact that he's Glaswegian...

Also Strax. Strax forever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't unsee Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker though, so this part was amusing.

[​IMG]

14. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

Okay so I haven't watched this show since David was the doctor, Matt Smith for me was to energetic, and it felt quite bipolar in his character and then how extreme they went with time travel crashing into itself (I've only seen about 5 of matts episodes) I did watch the new doctor because he was going to be a bit more serious and I did enjoy it very much after the first 20 minutes of him being frantic, I do have a couple of points I want to make though.

1. I don't think the companion is going to work with the new guy unless her character is changed.
    2. I might not like the epsiodes because I'm so used to Russel T Davis's work on the show.
    3. finally, did anyone else feel like the phone call at the end was ment for all the tumblr fangirls who are going to drop the show now that the actor isn't young & attractive?

15. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

Could barely pay attention to this last season. The opening sequence seems like the "Doctor Diaries"

Tennant or gtfo

16. Captain Butterscotch

I definitely feel as if the whole episode was saying "It's okay that he's old, he's still cool." With Matt Smith at the end basically looking into the camera and saying "Guys, I know you miss me, but Peter will be pretty awesome and you should give him a shot!"

this review I found said it very well:

The whole thing wasn't exactly subtle. :lol:

17. Abaddon9112

Abaddon9112 SS.org Regular

I've recently gotten semi-addicted to Doctor Who. I used to watch the David Tennant era episodes after school sometimes, mostly for laughs at the shitty CGI and foam rubber monsters. Never really got that into it, though I appreciated how different in premise and tone it was from other mid-2000s sci-fi stuff like Stargate or the Battlestar Galactica reboot, which seemed to take themselves way too serious even though they were kinda crap IMO. I didn't follow the Matt Smith series at all, but I caught up on it during the week long marathon on BBC America last month. And I've now been following the Capaldi series as well as watching the old 1st Doctor series on Retro TV.

I think at this point I can say that I definitely like the Tennant episodes more than Smith. The 11th doctor series was certainly filmed better and has a lot more cinematic feel, but I think the stories are totally convoluted and not very well thought out. I get the impression that the writers were trying to craft this deep story arc with many layers of interconnected meaning, but falling short of that goal by a long shot. A lot of the episodes have a very disjointed feel; the story won't make any sense until the very end, the dialogue and action is too fast-paced, and you pretty much can't follow what's going on without being utterly familiar with the universe and storyline of the series as a whole. It's fun to watch and can be downright hilarious at times; I definitely enjoy it. But it just doesn't seem as good from a storytelling perspective as the 10th doctor era. The amount of hype and fanboy/girl (mostly girl)-ism around this show was also absurd.

The Capaldi episodes so far haven't been great, but I think it has potential to get a lot better. He's has some of the mystery of the early doctors, which I personally like. At four episodes in I feel like I don't really understand his personality. He can be pissed off, fatherly, smart and scientist-y, or zany and weird, which reminds me a lot of the 1st doctor (who I'll get to shortly). The tone of the show is also more serious and reminiscent of the 10th doctor show. The Robin Hood episode was corny as hell ad I din't enjoy it, but the other episodes have interesting stories, though they could have been directed better. I look forward to seeing the show develop.

Now...the 1st Doctor show I really, really like and have been following closely. It comes on every night of the week on Retro TV, so you can see years worth of story arcs in the span of a couple weeks. But I enjoy it mostly for just how outright bad it is. This show was on during the same era as brilliant sci-fi like Twilight Zone and Star Trek, but it is on the same level as the worst 1950s movies like Plan 9 form Outer Space. The special effects are beyond terrible, and the acting is really bad. It is comedy gold though, and has a lot of creative stories. The Vortis story arc (butterfly people vs. giant ants) had me laughing harder than I have in six months. I love it for its flaws, and it is actually probably my favorite era of DW that I've seen.

I've also caught some of the 9th doctor episodes, and I really wish they'd show him more often in the US. I mean, it's only one season, but I literally never knew there was a doctor prior to Tennant in the reboot era because they just don't show it that often on TV in the US. But he's cool, he's a lot more burdened psychologically from the Time War and is an interesting character. I wish he'd had more seasons.

All in all I still don't really know that much about DW, and I'm sure this post isn't as well-informed a critique as it should be. I'll probably never be as big of a fan of Doctor Who as I am of stuff like Trek and Wars, which I've watched my entire life and cherish more than any other sci-fi universes. But DW is a great show because it is creative and doesn't take itself entirely serious. It's a fun world to escape into and is one of the few shows on TV today that doesn't try to be an ultra-gritty gore fest. Definitely a fan now.

18. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

I just enjoy that we have the doctor. Bad Dr. Who is better than 99% of what's out there......and I don't think this is bad so far. It's kinda weird though.

Actually, I think I'm more akin to the current version than I was with Matt Smith at first. He ended up being terrific but it took a while to grow on me (I liked David Tennant so much! )

19. The Q

The Q The Engineer

I insist that the best Doctor so far from the new ones was Eccleston - I really liked its down to earth approach on things and the lack of the wackiness. Then as soon as Tennant and especially Smith came, the show practically became a circus and I got disappointed.
    I still blame Moffat for that.

I had decided not to bother with Capaldi's run, but then I watched an episode. It wasn't that bad. Then another and then another and... while it had that awful Moffat tone it had actually improved and wasn't as bad as I had expected.

So Doctor Who team, please try to at least keep it half-decent now, will you?

20. Captain Butterscotch

Last night I caught up with all the Capaldi episodes after his debut. I really really like his Doctor and look forward to what he can bring. The writing still has pretty odd pacing at times, but Capaldi is awesome.