Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Hemi-Powered Drone, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

That mid-season finale was amazing. But also terribly sad.

Basically, Rory gets trapped in Winter Quay by the Angels, and sees himself die, thereby cementing it into time. To try and prevent it, he jumps off the building to create a paradox. Amy goes with him. It works, and they wake up in the graveyard Amy and the Doctor bounced back to earlier, after trying to land in 1938 the first time. As they're leaving, Rory sees the gravestone with his name on it, and gets shot back in time by a lone angel. Amy freaks out, and basically follows him, via the angel, so they don't have to be apart, then her name appears on the gravestone. However, they did end up together, and Amy published and put an afterword in River's book, saying they're fine and happy, and they miss him. Cut to the trailer for the Christmas Special, and we see a split second of the new companion.

2. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Well crap. That season's second part will be fucking awesome.

From the new beginning intro to the preview of the upcoming episodes, that episode gave me goosebumps. What the hell with Oswald, that plot is pretty nice. And I freaking love Stax (I think thats how its spelled) humor, freaking potato man ahahah

3. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

I don't have BBCMurica so I've not even seen anything from this half of the season :(

4. Captain Butterscotch

Having acquired BBC Murica, the finale last night WAS AMAZING!

And the last bit when John Hurt turned around and the screen said "Introducing John Hurt as
    The Doctor" made me jump around like an idiot. I love John Hurt! Tennant, Smith, and Hurt for the 50th anniversary?! Hell. Yes.

5. WaffleTheEpic

WaffleTheEpic Banned

Yeah dude, Jenna Louise Coleman is a babe. :lol:

I'm still on season six though. I think episode 8? When I get all caught up to season seven, I'm gonna go back and watch Docs 1-8. They have that on Netflix :D

6. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

Yea, the wifey and I were blown away too. So eager for the 50th now~!

7. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

I started Dr. Who from season 1 on Netflix. I'm only a few episodes into season 5 or 6 (whichever is the first with Smith) and I still think Eccleston was the best Doctor of the 3. I liked Tennant, but I don't think he portrayed the darker aspects of the Doctor as well as Eccleston did.

Anyway, I'll be perusing this thread as I get caught up on Dr. Who.

8. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

Oh wow, I have the compete opposite opinion. I thought Eccleston played the doc like a ham and even when he tried to be dark, just never got there.

Tenant on the other hand....oh my lord, darker than black metal on Satan's personal playlist:lol:. I suppose that could just be the difference in their abilities and Tenant being a largely Shakespearean actor prior to the doctor but I felt Tenant did justice to the manic moodswings that the Doctor is prone too.

Smith is very good though. Slightly goofier, but he has a nice childlike reverence and awe for the universe that wasn't quite there with the other Doctors...

9. Vostre Roy

Really hard to tell wich one I prefered. Eccelstone made a briefer appearence than Smith and Tenant so I couldn't really bond with him as the Doctor at all. Tenant was pretty much the Doctor when I started to get into that serie, so he will always be the "original doctor" for me. Smith brought a darker side, dunno if the actor or the writters deserve most of the credits, the story itself turned really dark with him, especially with the Weeping Angels.

And now, since I watched the finale, I just can't wait to see the new "Doctor", altough he said that this is another incarnation of himself, but not as "The Doctor," explaining that his chosen name is a promise he made to himself, and that the mysterious stranger is "the one who broke the promise"; rather than his true name, this lost incarnation is his hidden secret. Well shit, I for one can't wait to see more of it, and the next episode is supposed to be a 50th year anniversary of the serie and will feature Tennant and Piper. Wish that Ecclestone and maybe one of the still alive past incarnation of the Doctor will do a feature aswell

10. Vostre Roy

50th anniversary is tomorrow. David Tenant and Tom Baker (4th Doctor) will be in it. Should be interesting.

11. guitarmadillo

guitarmadillo Son of Popsyche7

Where'd you hear that Tom Baker is in it? He said he isn't and wasn't asked.

It's Tennant, Smith and Hurt.

12. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Gotta wait to watch it with the kids. Otherwise they'll be self-made orphans.

Ray

13. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

I already overdosed on having them all on the show.:yesway:

14. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

If you haven't seen it yet, you're in for a treat :D

Oh man, this was more than I hoped for it to be. Amazing dialogue, and the acting was just superb. Thought it was really cool to see Tennant get right back into the swing of it, genuinely smiled seeing him and remembering all the great moments 10 brought to the show. The dynamic of the 3 was so incredibly interesting, there wasn't a single dull moment throughout the episode with them.

Also, I am SO glad that Billie got the role she did instead of what most people including myself expected. I thought she was almost creepy when she was introduced in the episode, but I enjoyed her lines and what she brought to that "character" throughout.

Also, I'm definitely not spoiling anything for anyone. But all the nods to past and future of this show were great, especially some of the surprises near the end to keep it obscure. The only "forced" line I though, was disappointingly Tennant's, but I can completely overlook that since I know why they threw it in there.

Overall it was excellent, I was so burnt out by Season 7 being the drag it was. Seeing McGann's mini-sode and this one has completely reinvigorated my interest in the series. I just hope they keep the writing this good for Capaldi's ark.

Happy 50th everyone! :D

15. guitarmadillo

guitarmadillo Son of Popsyche7

It was hands down the best episode I've ever seen. I loved Billie and everyone.
    Ahh, so Tom was the "curator".

16. Vostre Roy

Up until the end, I thought I was about to be wrong... they kept the best for the end.

And I totally agree. I have hard time thinking of any Dr Who episode that can top that. It was just superb.

17. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

That was very very good... the only thing I just thought of in relation to it
    is so ok he saved Gallifrey... this is the same Gallifrey ruled by the Rassilon that created the Master etc etc etc. So was that actually a good thing? :lol: (see The End of Time)

I feel the need to watch a lot of Tom Baker over the holiday...

18. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

So guys...

Anyone else cry because of the Christmas Special?

19. shanejohnson02

shanejohnson02 Hammer of the Gods

It didn't measure up to the rest of Matt Smith's episodes. I liked the Impossible Astronaut story arc MUCH better.

20. Captain Butterscotch

His monologue at the end was the best bit he's ever done as the Doctor. I died a little.