Do you smoke?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Regor, Jul 7, 2006.

Do you smoke cigarettes?

1. Yes

22.9%
  2. No

70.4%
  3. Very funny

6.7%
  1. Prometheus

Prometheus Oh no, no you don't!

Yeah, totally. If you need a cigarette THAT badly that you need to go and get your fix, while at work, you may as well admit you're addicted, and get some help. If I can't go and shoot heroin every hour, I don't see why you're allowed to go and smoke. Same thing. Different degrees, maybe, but ultimately the same thing.

(Yeah, this is preachy as hell. I'm going to stop now :p)

2. JBroll

JBroll Hard-On For Freedom™ Contributor

Prometheus, do you get to take breaks every hour or two? (If not, start smoking.)

I'm all in favor of anything like that in the workplace *until it interferes with work* - cigarettes, unlike alcohol, heroin, or uppers, don't make your work suck. They just make you step outside every once in a while, and that's not a bad thing anyway.

Jeff

3. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

I currently do, but I'm down to 3 a day at most. I quit all through the month of January, then started again...couldn't have been more upset at myself for it. I'm getting sick of it. The less I have been smoking, the more I hate the smell of it. I used to smoke in my apartment, and now I'm yelling at my roommates for making my clothes smell like smoke. It's a funny thing. I don't think I'll ever be a dick non-smoker, but I'm losing my "Go smokers!" attitude pretty quick.

4. Prometheus

Man, I beg to differ. When my coworkers go outside and furiously puff away, I know when they've come back inside, because I can smell 'em from across the office. I might just have a sensitive nose, but I doubt it. It honestly seems to me that smokers just don't realise how insanely intrusive their little habit is to everyone else. Well, either they don't realise, or they're just a bunch of selfish bastards, and I'd rather believe they're mostly just a bit... ignorant. If you want to go outside and walk around for a few minutes, go for it. Using smoking as an excuse to get some, ahem, fresh air is - seriously - ridiculous.

Man, this is becoming a bit like one of those religious discussions. I'm really not as big a dickhead as what my diatribes make me appear. Shit, I hope not, anyway. Back to the guitar! (needly needly needly chunk doooooooooooooooooooooom)

5. JBroll

No, it's not coming across that way, and I see where you're coming from... even if I know that I work with things that smell *much* worse than tobacco smoke. I can tell when people have been smoking, but I have worse reactions to perfume and cologne and there's nothing I get to do about it. My biggest problem, though, was with the comparison that we both know wasn't fair or suitable.

Jeff

6. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

seems to me that's their choice to make... :shrug:

don't like it? don't do it. same thing as with religion. why do people spend so much time trying to change someone else's mind when it doesn't directly affect them? (even though i suppose second hand smoke can.)

7. Prometheus

OK, yes, comparing smoking to heroin was pushing it. I apologise for that, I've got friends that smoke, and they'd probably be annoyed to being labeled as junkies.

8. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

^ :lol:

i've been smoking cigarettes on and off for a while. i normally don't. i actually don't know why i do the times that i do because i usually end up hating myself and feeling like shit afterwards. but i do smoke herb and i get just as annoyed when people compare that to heroine, cocaine and the like. i don't really see how it's comparable to any of those. although i can understand how the smell could bother a non smoker.

9. Anthony

Anthony Banned

Hahaha, oh man.

I quit smoking last week. My whole band smokes, and it's hard sometimes to fight the urge, but it's not worth it to continue.

10. Fred

Fred SS.org Regular

Started when I was about 16, but have never really smoked that much. Stopped for about a 6-month period because of a whole host of pretty un-related things, but otherwise probably smoke one or two a day during the week. Normally a lot more - 40 or so - on the weekend. Can quite happily go for a week without one and I'm still not sure how that works!

I smoke because... I enjoy the taste, I enjoy the smell (even stale smoke, but can understand why most people wouldn't!) and there are few things I find quite as relaxing as a cigarette after a stressful day. Of course I'm fully aware of the consequences, and that story on the 2nd or 3rd page of this thread is one of the most moving things I've read. The logic behind smoking? There probably isn't any. All I know is I'm far happier smoking cigarettes than weed!

11. JBroll

It's more than pushing it. It's simply all the way to absurd.

As for 'conscience' - since I don't smoke around those who object, I'm not harming anyone else. Since I enjoy it, and it has no control over me, I fail to see how it is doing anything wrong, unless you'd suggest that I don't have rights over my own body. As for 'half a brain'... unless you've tried it in other people's circumstances (would you like to try being a 21-year old half-finished with a master's in mathematics?), or at least tried to understand it, you wouldn't have a chance at getting it - by any accounts, though, I have significantly more than half a brain and I smoke because I like the taste and it helps clear my head when working on something frustratingly difficult.

Jeff

Konfyouzd likes this.
  12. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

I used to, but don't really anymore. I started drinking less and consequently started smoking less and less since for me personally cigarettes went hand in hand with beer or wine.

13. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

I'm 23 and in math, same thing :lol:

I don't think the comparison was absurd though. The highs and lows might not be as bad with nicotine as heroin, but they are both extremely addictive and dangerous substances.

There are also people who do both who cannot function at all without their substance of choice - making it actually impact their work if they don't get to use.

That being said, I probably have a less negative opinion of heroin than many people (along with a more negative opinion of nicotine) so the comparison might just seem fine to me for that reason.

14. JBroll

I'm hesitant to say anything about addiction (since I've never gotten into heroin and I don't know of any standard unit of addictive tendency) but the effects are not nearly as damaging to cognitive functions as far as I'm aware. That's the biggest thing - perhaps since I'm such a bastard as far as determining one's own lifestyle I don't identify much with those unable to quit (I have no problem with it myself), but what concerns me is not being able to think... I don't object to any drug at all, but I will never feel the need to use something that turns my head off.

Jeff

15. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

I'm with you on that one, though I do enjoy drinking. I've found that a certain amount of alcohol sometimes helps with problem solving. Other times it produces stupid solutions which seemed good at the time - make sure to look them over in the morning! :lol:

16. JBroll

I get the same thing - usually, the snooty part of my head that's completely opposed to inelegant solutions of any kind drowns out any 'ugly' answer that helps me believe what I'm trying to prove, but alcohol lets that middle step happen and makes it easier to find an elegant solution to whatever I'm trying to figure out.

Jeff

17. Thin_Ice_77

Thin_Ice_77 You'll never make it

I went all day without a smoke yesterday for the first time in months. Feels pretty weird. Not a bad weird though.

18. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Give it a while...

During my first two years at uni I was on about thirty a day, but now I can't have one without feeling a bit ill.

19. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

I quit smoking not too long ago, I don't want to smoke again but I am addicted to Nicorette gum now, I love the stuff but the constant chewing is driving Lollie crazy. I have also used quitting as an excuse to buy more scotch.

20. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

^How long did you smoke for, btw?