Do you need guitar lessons? (rant)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by 777, Sep 20, 2009.

1. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

so im talking to this girl ive been seeing and one of her mates/ex-bf is in a metal band who i saw play in town recently, hes pretty good but tbh i think me and him are on the same level.

Now this girl has seen me play (youtube vids etc) and says to me "hey "name" is teaching do you need lessons?" :mad:

I was really offended by this and the conversation continues onto "but hes been playing 20 years!" I changed the topic but i think its kinda ignorant to say someone whos been playing 20 years is automatically better than someone else whose been playing less time... maybe he is slightly better but anything he has i could practice and get down........

Didnt help that hes her Ex-bf, made me feel like im fucking shit

Know what i mean

/rant

Dusty201087 likes this.
  2. telecaster90

telecaster90 Smokestack Lightning Contributor

Yeah, I think you overreacted a little bit. Seems to me like she was just getting the word out for him.

edit: How long have you been playing? Just curious.

3. cyril v

cyril v Contributor

if you think you know everything, then you're probably wrong. i don't think you can ever stop learning things when it comes to music. always nice to pick up tips from more experienced players.

4. defchime

defchime SS.org Regular

I recently started getting theory lessons (from my sister) because I realized how little I knew about guitar and music for that matter.

I don't think people need lessons, but you should know your theory. BUT I have still yet to have seen someone play some Spawn of Possession just by looking at the standard notation....there is no goddamn way you can play technical death metal just by looking at the sheet music, I dont even care if you know absolutely everything about music, it can't be done.

so in conclusion, you dont need lessons as long as you dont challange people who do know theory...would this guy be teaching you what a D chord is? or what because you dont need to know how to play a D chord to play guitar lol.

5. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

Keep learning, at all times. She probably figured you're serious about guitar, she knows someone who's really good and wants serious students, maybe you'd be interested? I would. I've had many different teachers with different experiences, you can't buy that sort of thing.

- edit - It's worth mentioning that most of my guitar lessons have consisted of discussing guitar playing, and playing together using concepts we'd just discussed, rather than actual practice. 99% of my technique is self taught, so is my repertoire. Doesn't mean I'd be anywhere near the player I am without getting lessons.

6. caughtinamosh

caughtinamosh SS.org-er

I too would probably be a little miffed if I were you, but it's probably irrational annoyance, fuelled by the fact that he is an ex of hers.

7. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

:nuts:

ZeroSignal and dnoel86 like this.
  8. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

I forgot to mention im getting 2 lessons a week in music college

9. JohnIce

I've taken lessons for 12 years, still do.

- edit - Sorry, misread your post. Thought you said you DID take lessons in college. My bad.

10. White Cluster

White Cluster Gives Life Meaning

Ask her if she wants to take dick-sucking lessons from your ex-gf..That should shut her up...or make her leave:lol:

loktide likes this.
  11. caughtinamosh

caughtinamosh SS.org-er

OK, this is what *not* to do is you want to be a guinea pig for such activities. :lol:

12. ZeroSignal

ZeroSignal Appreciates Kwolity Contributor

She clearly either didn't know any better or she's just promoting him because he's giving guitar lessons.

Don't beat yourself up over it!

The sheer false-itude of this statement boggles the mind... :noplease:

Scar Symmetry likes this.
  13. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

Is she really an accurate judge of ability? Would she know enough about music to say with any level of authority which one of you is better? Most girls who are not musicians (for that matter, most PEOPLE who are not musicians, and even many who are) have a very skewed perception of what makes someone a good musician. She might think he's a better guitarist for reasons that are meaningless to somebody who actually knows music.

14. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I understand why you got offended, and that makes perfect sense to me - i think most of us would be caught a bit off-guard, and have a similar reaction.

That said, do you feel You personally need lessons?

I don't necessarily need lessons per se, but I would like to get lessons again so that I can learn in a structured environment and further my playing abilities.

15. JohnIce

Exactly. As I've said before, there's a difference between what you need and what you'd benefit from.

16. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

this.

:lol:

17. liamh

liamh Geek-chic

Fixed :agreed:

18. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

To take the thread title a bit literally, I don't think anyone needs lessons from anyone else as such, but yet of course I believe guitarists should learn about certain things and of course have good technique as to prevent/reduce the risk of injuries.
    The best players are always the humble guys.
    They got good because they stayed humble and knew they could keep improving.
    I always tell myself I'm a pretty mediocre player even if others don't think so, just because it keeps my motivated to improve.

19. katierose

katierose SS.org Regular

Does this girl play guitar? No. Tell her to get back in the kitchen. Maybe she was just trying to be nice and it came off wrong. Either way I wouldn't let it get to you.

Harry likes this.
  20. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Awesome:lol::lol: