Do you get trashed while playing?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by spinecast213, May 2, 2008.

1. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

i smoked pot all day every day until 2 months ago. so yes i was always "high" while playing. but if you smoke the stuff all day, every day you dont get "trashed".

2. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

yeah, I'm a perpetual weed smoker as well, so I don't really count that as inebriation, since it's just my general state of being. ;)

Somewhere in my mid 20s, having been 'performing' since I was 14, I realized that I will NEVER stop getting TERRIBLE butterflies before any set, or really for the entire day leading up to the set for that matter. It's not a confidence issue -- it's just nerves. Upon that realization, I started a semi-tradition of having ONE drink before a set, to help take the edge off. (about half of) A rum + coke can be the difference betwen me shaking like a vibrator named after a rabbit, or just being kinda nervous 'internally'. :yesway:

3. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

Im sorry but i really dont agree with this thread...

4. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

:agreed:

people who don't smoke as often always make it out to be much more than it is.

this too.

well you have the choice to ignore it... but you chose to write something. that's your fault. :shrug:

5. Lankles

Lankles Fuelled by Chicken alone.

:lol: Given the broad spectrum of response found within, you may have to elaborate a little for us to understand.

6. Neal

Neal Down-pick or die

In the bands that I've played in, I usually don't get fucked up at all before a show. In the past I could get away with a drink or two, but these days it just slows me down too much. I don't like smokin weed before going on stage either, mainly because cotton mouth under stage lights is a little slice of hell. That's not to say there hasn't been a few booze soaked stoner jams at the practice space in the past. Sometimes some cool ideas come out and if you're recording you can work them out later.
    I think the most rediculous thing I ever did on stage was play while frying on acid a few years back. I was in a thrash metal band and we had been rehearsing to the point where I could just about play the material in my sleep, so the set actually went fine. Before we played, I just sat in my girlfriend's car listening to Deep Purple on cassette tape over and over. 3 of the 4 other guys in the band had no idea how fucked up I was or that I was having an out of body experience on stage. Not something that I'm gonna try to pull off again! If it wouldn't have been some shit show at a shit local venue I wouldn't have done that at all.

7. rossevans

rossevans SS.org Regular

drugs make you forget the Am pentatonic scale. everytime. 70% of the time.

a beer before a show, just to ease nerves!

8. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

yup, a beer or two. that is all

9. Konfyouzd

i never forget that shit... Am pentatonic is a marvelous thing. :yesway:

10. TomPerverteau

TomPerverteau Tube & Analog Snob

Waiting to get onstage it's tempting to drink while socializing with the people who showed up. Then you have to be careful & not have too much. It's much easier not to bother with alcohol at all. This also works for activities other than playing!

11. Konfyouzd

^ it definitely is better to not drink before playing. at least it definitely is for me. but i doin't see anything wrong with drinking otherwise... unless you're going to work. :squint:

12. wookie606

wookie606 Telecaster Fetish

depending on how serious the band is, ive had bands where we just jammed and we were all wrecked and it went well and ive had bands where were really serious about the music and all take care of ourselves for a show.

13. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

I think it depends on the type of music you're playing.

if you're playing folk metal, you could get fucking plastered before the show and still be able to play your set.

i.e. I could play Korplikaani's set completely fucked off my face and I'd still play it note perfect.

but then there's stuff like tech death that has to be 100% tight or it doesn't work.

i.e. I can't play The Faceless' set sober, let alone drunk :lol:

14. Anton

Anton Death Squad

Before a show to get a bit loos I drink like 3-4 beers and 5-6 shots of whisky...But i have very high liquer tolerance

15. Konfyouzd

^ you, sir, are a tank. i'd be destroyed after that...

maybe i'm just a pussy... :lol:

16. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

yeah that would do nothing much to me apart from make me a little bit more talkative.

having a high alcohol tolerance sucks man I tell you, it's goddamn expensive :mad:

17. chaosxcomplex

chaosxcomplex 01123581321

I like to smoke a little, maybe have a beer or two...I have an extreme tolerance to the ganja and a decent tolerance to alcohol, and in moderation, neither of them have ruined any set I've been a part of. I get very nervous on stage (and before...even the day before the show) and those things help me to loosen up. And being loose helps me to keep my train of thought and not lose concentration.

18. Konfyouzd

not so much with the alcohol tolerance, though. i have like 2 beers and my hands instantly go retarded.

19. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

$8 Gin for the win. :D

20. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I don't even want to try and imagine how miserable my life would be after 5-6 shots of whiskey. That would have me spending at least half the evening clutching the toilet in a bear hug while desperately attempting to vomit all of my internal organs out of my system.

When I was 21, a band I was playing (via long distance) got together to write and record a song in a day. We were drinking most of the day (I hadn't quite learned my lesson yet, but this day pretty much sealed the deal) and during the last pre-recording jam of the song I thought it would be 'fun' to skip the sips and chug an obscene amount of vodka.

Let's just say I should have recorded first. :noway: