Do you get trashed while playing?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by spinecast213, May 2, 2008.

1. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

:yesway: Same here I wait till after the show.

2. I_infect

I_infect SS.org Regular

I have blood sugar issues, so beer just gives me a headache anymore. And I can't do anything if I smoke. We tried jamming back in the day drunk as hell as a joke, and while fun, it sounded like ass and would never go over in a professional gig setting.

3. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

i'm not so sure i agree with you about hendrix. what he played wasn't necessarily easy by any means but it wasn't full on technical either. so i agree partially with you, but i feel like a lot of people couldn't play what jimi did on all those drugs. i think part of it also depends on how you feel comfortable playing. when i practice i play for a while and when my hand gets tired i take a quick smoke break (a little ganja :lol: it helps a lot with muscle cramping and such) and when i come back i continue playing and i'm fine. and i practice a lot of technique intensive things. if you get used to playing that way it's really not that big a deal. also, weed (or any other drug for that matter) affects everyone differently. :shrug:

i've seen people get stoned and completely forget where they are whereas being stoned for me just relaxes me at this point. although i'll admit there was a time when i'd get stoned and become a complete moron. but it all depends.

4. telecaster90

telecaster90 Smokestack Lightning Contributor

It really all depends; I don't think there's a definitive answer. People react to substances differently, me shitfaced and whoever posted above me playing guitar would sound completely different. It also depends on what style of music you're playing. I would never show up to a classical guitar or jazz gig fucked up but before playing a set with a jam band? You can bet your ass I'll have properly prepared :yesway:

5. Petef2007

Petef2007 SS.org Regular

I barely drink anyway, and refuse any kind of drug, so its pretty much a non issue for me.

I've seen some horrendous performances from guys who think it'd be "cool" to go onstage drunk/stoned/whatever. Mainly its the scene type bands round here trying to show off somewhat, and its annoying.

6. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

i just can't play for shit when I'm drunk, im a real lightweight too so that doesnt help either. That being said my old drummer is awesome on stage after he's had a drink or two, otherwise he's too stiff & anxious.
    I don't really get anxiety when i play so i usually have a red bull or two to charge me up before i go on stage so i can give a more energetic performance.

7. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

jamming ripped is awesome. :lol:

8. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

I've tried playing once on the only time I took LSD, I just didn't have a fucking clue what I was doing:lol:
    Generally, I don't drink just before or during playing at all.
    I did get trashed once while playing a gig at a friend's 18th birthday party.
    Basically what happened was, one dude fell off the back of the stage while we were playing The Trooper by Iron Maiden, we went to the next song and he was still playing The Trooper riffs because he was more trashed than anyone, while still behind the stage where he had fallen off:rofl:

Luan likes this.
  9. JakeRI

JakeRI SS.org Regular

Honestly, i think getting fucked up prior too, and consequently during a performance is just unprofessional

10. WarriorOfMetal

WarriorOfMetal The Dragonrider Contributor

a drink or two before playing a show helps me relax enough to make the material a bit easier to play solidly...i used to find caffeine helpful, but lately i've found that it makes me too wired, and i end up hitting lots of bad notes because i just can't relax enough.

11. ryzorzen

ryzorzen shake and bake!

im never under any influence while i perform, the adrenaline alone does it for me. but nothing beats getting tanked up with everyone after the set, if you really kicked ass you can usually score a free beer or two haha

12. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

No drugs before, during or after a show/rehearsal. I do sometime drink after! :yesway:

13. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

No, and I tell my bandmates to do the same thing... even if the singers never do. Bloody singers. :realmad:

Afterwards, I still don't drink because I usually take the singer home. Bloody singers. :lol:

I don't drink or do drugs in general, despite the company I keep. A good person to have if you get trashed and want to sleep in a bed by the end of the night. :ugh:

14. redenemyjoe

redenemyjoe SS.org Regular

I used to get on stage polluted a lot. One time (in an old band) our drummer fell over his kit 5 times before he got behind his stool. Heheh, good times!

Not anymore however, no matter what you think, or try and tell yourself, you are not as tight when U the I.

15. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD ERG Drummer! Contributor

I'm a drummer (in my gigging life) and I can't play for SHIT when I'm buzzed, even. The one time I had two shots before a gig, my timing was off. Not so much the audience noticed, but the band knew it wasn't as tight, and I knew, and it pissed me off. If I'm in a situation where I'm not at all tired, and already fairly relaxed, I might have one drink, maybe; otherwise, it's water and/or caffiene for me.

Of course, I rarely drink, so one is usually plenty to get me buzzed, and usually gigs are after a full day of work so I'm already beat - not a good time to do alcohol! ;)

16. Meldville

Meldville SATANOGRAPHER

Not trashed, but I have no problem drinking 4 or 5 beers before/while playing. At the same time, I don't mind playing sober. Whenever we're on tour, we're more prone to playing in an altered state :D

17. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

1 beer and/or shot before our set to take the edge off, and then we get trashed Afterwards! :D

18. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

With my ska band I only drink if we get shafted by nonexistent soundchecks or late running. We played a gig a few weeks ago which should have had a soundcheck at 6:30, and us on stage at 9. I turned up at 5:30 to get my double bass, wireless, amp and pedal set up and check out the venue. By 7, the PA hadn't arrived and our drummer was nowhere to be seen (which didn't matter because there wasn't a drum kit at that point). I went to the pub down the road and told them to text me when we were ready to soundcheck. Perhaps it's passive aggression: you screw us over with crap organisation, I screw you over with a drunk bassist?:fawk:

Turns out we didn't get a soundcheck so I spent the first two songs fighting feedback and fiddling with the EQ on somebody else's bass amp to get a sound that didn't suck. Awful gig from my point of view, but the audience seemed to enjoy it.

Thing is, I drink pints so slow, and have such a horrendously high tolerance for alcohol, that by the time we got on stage I wasn't even that buzzed. It's relatively simple music unless you're taking a solo (and even then it's all in 4/4 over a handful of easy chords), so a few beers didn't impede my playing. I still managed to do the "spin double bass around in your hand at the end of your solo to look like the coolest bastard on the planet" trick, so I suppose it wasn't so bad. I'd have been a lot more annoyed if we'd experienced the horrendous feedback-driven initial bass sound sober...

With my metal band, when we start gigging, I sure as hell ain't drinking until we're done. I drop enough guitar picks when I'm sober, let alone after a beer or five. I dread to think what people would think of me attempting to tremolo pick a death metal riff with my bare fingers and a few pints in my body. :shred:

19. AVWIII

AVWIII Pope of Chilitown

I'm too much of a perfectionist/self depreciating jerk to drink while I play.

20. Neal

Neal Down-pick or die

Fuck that. 101 Proof and Trendkill have more balls, attitude and soul than anything you've ever done or ever will do. As for your fans, I'm sure there's legions of them.