Do you get trashed while playing?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by spinecast213, May 2, 2008.

1. spinecast213

spinecast213 Banned

alcohol, weed, coke, whatever it may be.

when i was drumming, i loved to get trashed, i swear it helped me play better, but now that im playing bass i find that if im too fucked up i get dizzy when headbanging LOL

ibznorange and FortePenance like this.
  2. Edroz

Edroz new album soon!

wow, imagine that.

yeah, those things will make you think that :lol:.

i sometimes have a beer or 2 before i go on stage... but getting trashed and playing and performing well, i can't do.

i like to save the partying 'til after the show.

3. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

I'm tee-total and don't touch drugs, so this concept is a little alien to me :lol:

4. daybean

daybean ... Contributor

start drinkin when it starts slowly, then just get a good feeling going, but not to the point when you can't play and disrespect your group. then afterwards party to you pants come off.

5. kristallin

kristallin punk'd

No beer till after the gig or rehearsal. No drugs at all.

6. Zepp88

Zepp88 Arktanian Diplomat Contributor

Absolutely not, I'd rather not play like shit and make an ass out of myself on stage.

After the show? Absolutely! :lol:

7. daybean

daybean ... Contributor

What about at practice...its always a party for myself and friends towards the end of that. sometimes I come up with a new riff and nobody has a recorder. Then the next day, "Do you remember how that riff went?"....

"i'll come back, just hand me another beer".

8. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

Only after playing a show. Only time I'd do it before/during is if I was just having fun with some friends, just jamming at their place or something and having a good time (a.k.a. not playing a show).

9. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

No drugs period.

And no alcohol until after the show. Drinking alcohol for some reason completely ruins my voice. If I don't drink, I can scream, growl, and sing through a 40 minute set with no problem (or a 2-5 hour practice with no problem). But, if I start drinking, my voice is ruined within 10 minutes. All hoarse and stuff.

If it's just a little alcohol, I can play guitar fine, but the more alcohol, the more sloppy I get and the more my timing gets thrown off. One beer isn't going to give me even a buzz, but it will ruin my voice and make my lead guitar playing and such ever so slightly sloppier.

Therefore, the answer is "no." After I show, I go out drinking like crazy. Or, even at the show after our set has finished (if we're not the last band), I'll start drinking.

10. InTheRavensName

InTheRavensName Dog says yes ^.^ Yes

Maybe one pint, but I'll nurse it for the 2 hours of setup and soundcheck...been drunk once on stage, but thankfully our power metal band was playing a gig full of punks, so noone noticed :p

Practice, we stopped having drinks because after 3 or 4 we'd start getting lazy and distracted, and from 4 it started to get sloppy and not worth the money to hire the rehersal room

tl;dr after, not before (also no drugs)

11. John_Strychnine

John_Strychnine I Was Once Groove.

Few pints before,

Smoked weed a few times before playing, not a good idea tbh.

I have been totally fucked before going on stage a few times, not a good idea either.

both our vocalists are normally baked on stage.

12. DaveCarter

DaveCarter Melowiddler

Reggae band: a few Jack n Cokes before I go on, helps loosen me up and get in to the groove. Our frontman is usually very VERY stoned when we go on but so long as he absolutely nails everything, we dont mind.

Metal band: total opposite, usually dosed up on lots of caffiene so I can keep up with the ridiculous speed we play at. Then Jack n Coke after the gig!! :D

13. Rick Pierpont

Rick Pierpont SS.org Regular

Absolutely not! There is no way I can play like that. I've had a drink before, but even that's not a normal occurrence and can affect vocals. Naren, you are correct -- it does affect vocals. Alcohol dehydrates you, which is the worst thing for your vocal cords. In fact, I take the opposite direction and make sure I stay really hydrated the day of a show (like today). You really need it in your system. Getting dry and then drinking water on stage isn't really good enough. And even when I was a teen, weed would absolutely kill my playing. If I'm in the right mood and already warmed up and little is OK for just jamming, but to play anything complex or with structure, there is NO WAY! And don't even talk about what THAT does to your voice!

Playing on stage is enough of a rush that I don't feel the need to "enhance" it with anything. Afterwards I'll party a little bit, but I'm not a big drinker anyhow. Good thing I don't play in Division! :lol: Don't know how Ron has lasted this long!! ;)

14. Groff

Groff Medicine Chief/RHLC© Contributor

I had 3 drinks before we went on once, and that was enough to make me say "Fuck that" the next time we played.

It makes things spin, and causes me to say stupid things.

15. ZeroSignal

ZeroSignal Appreciates Kwolity Contributor

I've never seen a band that was under the influence of anything and actually enjoy the gig. :shrug: For the sake of the fans don't do it! :lol:

:wavey:

16. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

i wouldnt say trashed, but i smoke a big fatty before, but thats not really different because i am high pretty much 24/7 ,

17. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD ERG Drummer! Contributor

Yeah... they always make you FEEL like you were amazing... but get honest feedback (or better yet, video! :idea: ) and you'll find you were mediocre at best, or majorly sucking at worst.

I've played in 3 bands now where one of the members had a substance problem (pot and/or alcohol) and it always cause problems with motivation, attitude, and ability.

To me, playing music is a job, only better: I get paid (sometimes ;)) to do what I would do anyway. I don't indulge before or during work, I don't indulge before or during music.

And afterwards I'm usually just too damn tired! :lol:

Next time someone says they play better when a little buzzed, ask them if they drive better a little buzzed, too. ;)

18. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

i find that to be a bit of b.s. tons and tons of bands get ripped out of their head before they play , but they are probably used to it and its a normal occurance for them, i'v seen so many bands i KNOW for a fact are high, and rock it out, so, the fact is, just because someone is high or a little drunk it really doesnt mean they are better or worse in their performance if they are used to it

i mean, i'v seen pantera, i know dime was blazed and phil was tore, but it was the best show i'v ever seen to be honost

just because YOU cant do it, doesnt mean everyone cant.
    i cant reccomend driving with no arms, but there are alot of armless people with licenses and drive with no incident in this country

19. ZeroSignal

:rofl: Dude all you said was that I was wrong simply because you enjoy it and I don't. Then that disabled people were comparable to people on drugs in terms of mental faculties. Nice.

20. ZeroSignal

You know this thread is just going to degrade into a pissing contest between the pro and anti drug camps. One side'll say something and the other will just go "Nuh huh!" :shrug: