Do Elixirs and other coated strings cause more (and/or quicker) fret wear.....

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Max Dread, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Max Dread

Max Dread SS.org Regular

.....when compared to regular strings?

I was just reading about how DM Blue Steels can cause more fret wear (being steel rather than Nickel).

Got me thinking about Elixirs and such.......

2. Hosenbugler

Hosenbugler Untilted

In my experience, Elixirs cause less fret wear, likely because they are (or at least they feel) "smoother", due to the coating.

Elixirs are just the best in every way, as far as I'm concerned. Some may consider them too expensive, but I reckon they actually work out cheaper in the long run.

3. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson

Yes if anything the coating would lessen fret wear.

4. Max Dread

Max Dread SS.org Regular

5. onefingersweep

onefingersweep SS.org Regular

If you're concerned about fretwear, get stainless steel frets.

6. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

my rg7621 is in need of a few things. i will see if my local sam ash has some of these and try them. i havent heard of them till now.

7. Max Dread

Max Dread SS.org Regular

I'm being thick - didn't account for the fact that they do not have seven string sets. And I think it will look pretty daft if the low B isn't black as well.....

8. Rev2010

Rev2010 SS Contributor

I've used Blue Steel strings for many many years now and have never ever had a problem with fret wear because of them. I guess if you play your guitar 10 hours a day everyday you might notice some fret wear over a very long time span, but seriously? And to be honest even if it did wear frets out a bit quicker than nickel strings how much are we talking here? I certainly have never had a problem with them all these years and still buy them to this day.

Rev.

9. darren

darren Decibel Guitars

Coated strings have a coating of a GoreTex-like membrane on them. (In the case of Elixirs, they're actually made by W.L. Gore, so it's likely the genuine article.)

This membrane is much softer than metal, and will actually flake off over a very extended period.

Stainless steel strings, on the other hand, are quite hard on nickel-silver frets.

10. Soopahmahn

Soopahmahn Tu ne cede malis

+1.

Anything harder than the NiAg fret alloy will wear the frets, and the harder it is the faster the abrasion will occur. I bet that the coated strings cause dramatically reduced fret wear overall. Strings wrapped in stainless steel will definitely wear NiAg quickly.

I agree that this is really not worth getting worked up over. If you are concerned about it, the next time you get a re-fret pay the extra for stainless steel frets and they'll last forever.