Do drummers exist anymore?

Discussion in 'Musician Classifieds' started by Jahka, May 30, 2015.

1. Jahka

Jahka SS.org Regular

Seriously though, in my experience, I've crossed zero metal drummers. Where the hell did they all go? ....

2. Hbett

Hbett SecretlyADog

When guitarists decided that programmed drums composed by a guitarist were just as good as real drums composed by a drummer, I guess it took a lot of incentive out of it. Drummers got too little credit as it was.

3. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Tragically, they've all accidentally locked themselves in the same basement.

4. asher

asher So Did We

No wonder mine never gets his kit out of ours!

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

:lol: Cue the drummer jokes!

OP, do you specifically mean METAL drummers, or just drummers in general? I still see drummers in general around. Granted, not nearly as much as guitarists, but I don't see what I would constitute a decrease. At least in my area. But, as was said, people might move more toward guitar/vocals/bass (or piano/violin, etc. etc.) if the feeling is that it can be programmed. It would be interesting to lurk on a drum forum and see what is said there about that.

6. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

I seem to always find good metal drummers on craigslist when they're in the process of selling their gear and "growing up" :lol:. Always late to the party it seems.

7. Jahka

Jahka SS.org Regular

Metal drummers. I see many rock drummers in my area but none of them know how to use the bass drum for anything other than a straight 4/4 beat. I guess it goes in waves, my area is terrible for metal, but when you drive 30 min away you hear meshuggah blasting everywhere. And I've tried going on drum forums, but I always hit a brick wall for some reason.

8. asher

asher So Did We

You're expecting them to be able to type coherent thoughts, no wonder you're not getting anywhere.

9. Alex6534

Alex6534 SS.org Regular

Same in my area, guitarists and hell, even bassists for days! :lol: But there is a severe lack of GOOD drummers, majority think they're the sh!t until we play then they can't keep up with the stuff an never hear from them again. Yet 1 hour away the music scene is thriving.

10. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Not everyone is on internet forums or scouring classifieds. Try this suggestion I gave someone else in another thread. You'll probably increase your chances of finding someone significantly:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4373261-post4.html

Rev.

11. Jahka

Jahka SS.org Regular

Hmmmmm, I like this approach. Not only do you get to get yourself out there, you also get to find people that like similar styles of music. You have inspired me, I will try out this tactic.

12. thrashmetal85

thrashmetal85 SS.org Regular

Time and money needed to invest in the instrument, vs expected return on investment, significantly depletes the available pool.

13. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I doubt the average person wanting to be a drummer is thinking about a return on investment. I think the biggest issue is it's one of the hardest instruments to accommodate. A kit takes up a lot of space and even more importantly is **loud**, not very friendly to most living situations. Of course, there are electronic kits, I even have one, but most newcomers don't even think about the electronic option. Plus, while there are many inexpensive kits out there a good electronic kit is indeed quite pricey.

Rev.

14. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

All of the metal drummers around here are in three bands each, plus working, trying to survive. I jammed with a guy a few months ago and we just pounded out doom for 45 minutes straight. It was beautiful, but he's too busy trying to survive to be in a band. We just improved the entire time, had never met before, and everyone in the room thought we'd been practicing together online for a year.

I played with another guy the next weekend, but there were two other guitarists and a bassist there, which meant we had to come up with three chords and jam on them forever, with everyone taking turns soloing. I was bored out of my skull and deaf 20 minutes in. Running the C-8 through an 8x10 bassman at full tilt was so loud, I couldn't even discern what I was playing. and the drums were still drowning it out. Even with no one playing, we had to yell to hear each other over all of the amps hissing.

In the future, I don't really even want to jam with a drummer unless they've got an electronic kit. The volume levels necessary to get over a standard kit are just abusive and as a sound guy too, setting up acoustic drums to sound good is a nightmare.

So, drummers out there, or aspiring drummers, please consider electronic kits for practice at least. It's so nice to be able to mix the drums and guitars so everyone can hear without being deafened. There are kits out there for $400 and seem to sound just fine to me. I'm not a drummer though so they may play like crap or something.

If there's anyone in the Verde Valley, AZ that wants to jam, hit me up!

15. Inertia

Inertia SS.org Regular

Im a drummer , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUJvuyUWlac

We are a rare breed. I started doing vocals because carrying around my kit is a bitch but id drum for the right band.

16. behindthen0thing

behindthen0thing Contributor

drummer here

17. behindthen0thing

behindthen0thing Contributor

18. Inertia

Inertia SS.org Regular

What's up man . I'm right here - Tech death / prog drummer

19. TheDrumEquation

TheDrumEquation SS.org Regular

20. Aghasura

Aghasura SS.org Regular

Just had to laugh when i saw your avatar. I own that guitar! :D

*On topic: I usually find that any drummer I meet has five concurrent projects going on, all of them more important than mine.