Do any of you jazz players play metal, or vice versa?

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by acriticalcookie, Jun 27, 2013.

1. DropDizzle

DropDizzle SS.org Regular

That's an interesting idea and I think it would work if you're okay with missing the upper bass sections. However, even on my 8-string doing jazz I don't always walk my bass lines on the two lowest. Probably about 50-60% of the time I'm down there. It's nice to bring it up for the mood ebb and flow. After all, when was the last time you heard Ron Carter stay on his two lowest strings for very long?

2. jimwratt

jimwratt SS.org Regular

I started playing guitar at 12 and my parents basically forced me into Jazz (and classical to a lesser extent). I just wanted to rock and roll. I never found jazz that appealing as a guitarist, but I definitely learned how it works and have a pretty good chord vocabulary from it. I'm just the opposite if the guys who started off in metal but didn't have the vibe for it. I play jazz for fun, but it never felt natural. Fortunately, my high school jazz band played related music like Latin classics, fusion, and r&b. I love those and feel as fluent in them as I do with rock and metal.

Also, everybody should check out Sonny Sharrock.

3. wootsmitty

wootsmitty Jellytron

I've always played and listened to metal since around age 11. These days I'm really attracted towards jazz guitarists like Adam Rogers, Lage Lund. I think a step towards jazz is next for me in my musical career. I will never stop playing metal tho lol.

4. SevenString

SevenString RJ-D0 : Heavy Metal Droid

I sometimes do live shows where in a single night I do everything from jazz to prog metal, with country, soul, R&B, dance music, classic rock, etc. mixed in too. Some eclectic crowds seem to dig the variety.

Anyway, I typically start the evenings like this with classic jazz and ramp up from there. By going in this order with jazz as the "warmup" material, the metal stuff (at least on guitar) gets easy in comparison. My metal soloing is also much more fluid and melodic when I keep my head in a "jazz" space.

I hope I didn't already say this stuff in an earlier post, but it's been a while since I visited. :eek:

That said, I can relate to the "never stop playing metal" thing. Even banging out an old Priest, Accept, or Dio tune is still satisfying after all these years.

5. algtrdom

algtrdom SS.org Regular

Here's a free improvisation taken from a recent gig with my band (some Drop B stuff in there):

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/ilusorecords/zobik-3-free-improv-encore-at-touzon-abetxuko[/SC]

hope you dig it!