Djenty/metalcore tone. Should i go 6505 or engl powerball??

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by olliclark4, Mar 25, 2017.

1. olliclark4

olliclark4 SS.org Regular

Hey guys i really need some help on my first ever tube amp purchase. Ill be playing small live shows and maybe recording with this amp. I will either be using an evh 2x12 or orange 2x12 (both closed backs and i could also use some help on which one of these is best). I play djenty stuff (I love northlane, August burns red, Erra). Should i go 6505 or Engl Powerball? Thanks

2. Bladed-Vaults

Bladed-Vaults Broceidon

I tried to type this in a way as to not sound like a .... But this is all I got.

The peavey invective comes out soon. Wait until it's out. It was built for your people.

3. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

[​IMG]

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I feel the 5153 does the djenty thing better than the 6505 or Powerball. I mean, opinions differ, but the 5153 is smoother, tighter, and brighter.

5. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

"Your people" why does this crack me up so much?

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

7. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

On a serious note, buy a boost and eq pedal with either amp. Put the amp on the lead setting and set the gain to a point where it barely breaks up, then put a maxed out boost into the front with the gain on zero. Run the eq pedal through the loop focusing on boosting the high frequencies and mid frequencies. For extra djent points, buy a gate and run it through the front end of the amp right after the boost.
    Don't forget to tune below A, good luck I guess.

8. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Agreed. I loved my 5150 III for the short time I owned it. The bass response had this "bounce" to it that the 6505 didn't have. Super fun for the djenty stuff but, I liked the grittier gain structure of the 6505 and that kind of turned me to keeping the 6505 and selling the 5150III

Also I wouldn't get the Invective if you aren't going to use all the features. You can get a used 6505 (not the plus) for $600 then get an AMT F1 and have a true "Fender" clean by using the effects loop of the 6505 and the "channel" loop of the F1.

Super cool trick that not many people know about. You can also use this trick to fix the volume jump of the 50 watt 5150III

9. olliclark4

Yea i know about the evh 5153 and would love one but its currently drastically out of my budget. I have a used engl powerball and a used 6505 in my area for $700AUD and need some help choosing between these.

10. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Hard choice

Reliable, known for cutting through the mix, as tight as you'll ever need if you get a boost, super easy to give it a clean channel if you want, known to be great for recording.

Powerball.
    Comes with a clean channel off the bat, probably tight enough for what you need even without a boost, and I've never heard any complaints about how they cut in a live mix or recording.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

Which version of the Powerball?

I feel like it can do the djent thing since it has a pretty processed sound, but the Powerball 1 has trouble cutting through the mix.

If it's a PB1, then get the 6505 and some kind of boost.

12. olliclark4

Yea its the PB1. Is it really not going to cut through even with the mids massively boosted and a couple of good eq pedals? (I have a multi effects pedal with like 6 different types of eq).

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

It might work, but I think a boosted 6505 will be best. A lot of people pair the amp with an EQ, but the 6505 is just fine without an EQ. Just need to tighten it up and add a gate.

14. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

:lol:

There is wisdom here.

15. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King Contributor

I don't want to derail this thread, but would you mind explaining how this works? Sounds cool.

16. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Exactly the opposite I've heard, the Poweball I gets lost in the mix, is the worst engl some people told me. My bandmate has one and I destroy him with my 5153 50w

17. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

^This
    Played with a guy who had a PB1 and easily got lost in the mix when i was using my Baron K88, Rivera K-Tre or 6505.

18. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Depends which PB version. If it's the Powerball version 1.0 (shiny chrome face) skip it and get a 6505+. Otherwise PB2 is more bang for the buck.

19. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

The AMT F1 has something called a channel loop. If you're familiar with the TightMetalPro's "SideTrak" loop it's basically the same thing. It's a loop where, when you turn the pedal off, your signal COMPLETELY bypasses F1, goes through whatever pedals or preamps you have in that loop, returns to the F1 and exits through the main output of the F1.

You can basically have a completely separate preamp in that loop that you switch to by simply turning the F1 off.

So... all you do is plug your guitar into the F1, plug cable going from the "channel send" to the input of the 6505, plug a cable from the 6505 effects send to the "channel return", and plug a cable from the F1 output to the effects return of the 6505.

What you are doing when you do this is nestling the 6505's preamp in the channel loop of the F1. Now just set both of them how you like, set to unity gain, and play :)

I'll post a picture in a little bit

20. geetar_geek79

geetar_geek79 SS.org Regular

This.

The AMT F1 or V1 are really awesome for this feature alone and it is similar to a four cable method. They are perfect for single-channel, high gain heads with an effects loop and will function as the "external" clean channel.