Djent is just a nice way of saying deathcore

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ryugkun, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryugkun

ryugkun Lazy Bastard

Seriously I really can't see the difference other than the processed guitar sound and the majority of bands I've seen that call themselves "djent" sound tighter than those that call themselves "deathcore"

Whats all your guys opinions on it?

2. AChRush1349

AChRush1349 SS.org Regular

I, Individually...

A. Don't personally see "djent" as a genre
    B. Don't see all "djent" oriented bands as inherently core, or specifically deathcore
    C. See distinct differences between bands typically labeled as/grouped in the "djent" scene vs. the death core scene (guitar tone, lyrics, playing style, musical philosophy, gear, even fashion style, as pointless of a difference it is)
    D. Do admit that the styles can/do intersect a lot, but,

"Djent" is derived from Meshuggah (obviously). Meshuggah themselves are not a "djent" band, but I think any band from the "first wave" took Meshuggah's rhythmic approach, and added a little of proggy elements from bands like Dream theater and Cynic and melded them together into a sub-sub genre of progressive metal...some bands who saw bands like Periphery doing this took it a step further and added more typical song structures with breakdowns (albeit, syncopated or odd-timed breakdowns) and more "core" vocals, making the style more trendy and typical. Not to sound elitist, but just from experience listening to, and talking to people in bands that identify with the "djent" scene, I think most times it's a little more creatively written and musical. Even though many "djent" bands have similar song structures, the good ones stand out to me, as opposed to 99.99999999% of deathcore, which sounds the same to me.

However, this is just all how I see it. I have an intense hatred of 90% of core, so take what I say worth a grain of salt.

3. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

I think I don't care.

KingAenarion likes this.
  4. CyborgSlunk

CyborgSlunk SS.org Regular

What I consider Djent are Bands like Meshuggah, Vildhjarta etc. and I don´t think those sound like deathcore. You could play these songs without the "djent" on a 6 string and it still wouldn´t sound alike.

5. AChRush1349

AChRush1349 SS.org Regular

I'm with you. The whole "djent" scene to me is Vildhjarta, Periphery, TesseracT, but 90% of these bands I just call progressive. The genre people call "djent" to me is just a sub-sub genre of progressive metal. I REALLY do hate using the word when not referring to tone or technique though...

6. Cabinet

Cabinet :O

My opinion is to stop trying to categorize everything.
    It's a waste of time.

7. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

You've been a member of this forum for this long and yet STILL haven't figured out this topic isn't a good idea? Oh boy

8. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

...That still makes it a genre, whether you like the fact or not.

Using the word genre to mean a group of things that share a style, form, or content, I think we definitely have a group of bands that can be said to possess more common or shared characteristics than other generally accepted genres.

Having said that, if by the OP you mean the trendy nature, I can agree with you. It certainly seems to be getting more and more popular, similar to deathcore during 2004-06, right before that genre really exploded. Stylistically, I don't see where TesseracT is nigh-indistinguishable from Suicide Silence or With Blood Comes Cleansing. In pretty much every category one would list for defining a musical genre, there is a huge disparity between the two genres.

9. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

I think this is the place to use that drinking coffee smiley, right?

10. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

This. Also yes to comment above. Sub-sub(sub-sub) sub-genres/categorisations suck. Listen to the music, who cares whether it's deathcore or djent, how does that hurt you?

11. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

I partially agree. Metal (and music as a whole) is at the point where you can hear two songs from the same band, that are both identifiable as being typical of that band's style, but also are from different genres. This is silly.

However, labels and categories are useful. When I first heard Liquid Tension Experiment it blew my mind. I wanted to listen to those two albums all the time, to an almost wearying extent. I wanted to find more music of this style, so I jumped onto Wikipedia (the source of all human knowledge) and discovered that it was progressive metal. Through that I discovered that vast and highly interesting music that this sub-genre of metal has to offer.

-------------------------------------------

On topic, I pretty much agree with AChRush1349, except the intense hatred of 90% of all -core is more like a burning indifference. I can also see where you're going with this thread in terms of bands in the ilk of After the Burial and Born of Osiris, but whilst they may have influences from djent to varying degrees, I'd still call them deathcore.

12. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

This. I just call different genres by their most basic category. If something is a mix of 2 or more genres, I call it by whatever genre influence stands out the most. Metal. Blues. Rock. Reggae. Jazz. Your mom. Country. Pop. Rap. Classical.

13. Cabinet

Cabinet :O

Yeah, that's how I would approach it. Genres are nothing more than perspectives. Certain characteristics might stand out in Band A that would make me file them under progressive metal, but what I think counts as progressive metal doesn't apply to someone else. And if we can't keep our heads it ends up in a pointless argument.

14. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

I'm bored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.