Distortion pedal or Pre amp pedal?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Jacksonluvr636, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

I am getting a Quilter 101 mini head. I am not very familiar with this amp or with using these types of pedals so I am not sure what I need.

The Quilter DOES have an FX loop so I assume this is basically an amp with the regular power section and its own preamp but I think I can use either or distortion pedal out front and/or preamp pedal in the loop.

Just looking for two things here. If anyone can clarify which would suit me better and why (distortion or preamp pedal) and also to avoid another thread what would be your recommendations on a pedal for the most amp like and brutal tones?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Get the amp, see what it sounds like, and take it from there. :2c:

USMarine75 and budda like this.
  3. Jacksonluvr636

Well, I am already 100% without a pedal the amp is not going to give me brutal metal tones. Even the OD200 that they have falls short to my ears so I will definitely be needing a pedal.

Just not sure which one and which type.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

But we still need to know what the amp sounds like. Is it on the bright side? Does it have enough headroom? Nasal mids? That's all going to help narrow down what pedal will work best.

It would probably also help to hear some examples of the tone you're looking for.

Jacksonluvr636 and USMarine75 like this.
  5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

^ this.

Watch some That Pedal Show vids and you'll get an idea that your current rig will greatly vary how a given pedal sounds. My Keeley DS9 sounds great in front of my Splawn Marshall type amp, but sounds like hot garbage in front of my Tone King Fender style amp. Some pedals sound great with everything, like my Megalith Delta, because it has super wide tonal adjustments to dial it in to any platform.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

yeah basically like usmarine said, the more control you have over the initial sound, the more likely the pedal will work with the amp. That applies to pretty much any pedal. It also helps when you know the basic sonic profile of your amp, so then you can determine if a more simplistic pedal will work with your amp (one knob pedals are not your friend if you want versatility). For example, my mesa f30 has a prominent midrange like my mk3, but has a lot squishier low end. My mk3 sounds like ass with a tube screamer style pedal in front of it (just way too much midrange between the pedal and the amp), but the f30 works quite well with a TS style boost, since I can roll back the mids more on that amp than the mk3 (plus it cuts some of the low end to tighten up the response).

USMarine75 likes this.
  7. Jacksonluvr636

Ah ok, makes sense now.

Well it should arrive on WED. Will report back.

8. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

So I'm gonna be the one to ask: Why in the first place did you choose an amp that can't do the metal tones if that's what you want?

Flappydoodle likes this.
  9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Some people don't really intend to ever use the distortion that comes built into the amp. Pedals are a big market, and especially recently it seems like boutique pedals that by the time you have them all on a pedalboard with a power source/conditioner/etc you've probably spent at least as much as you would have on a nice amphead that probably has fewer options and obviously is less customizable.

I'm kinda in this boat at the moment. It seems like a lot of bands with really excellent tones are getting them from pedals. I think it'd be cool to be able to have a really premium sort of sound and then when/if I want to change it a bit I can just switch out the distortion pedal or the reverb, etc. Plus it's super easy to sell a pedal that you're done with and they've got relatively good resale value. I'm working with a Big Muff Pi tone for this new band I'm in, why break the bank on some famous amp distortion sound if I'm only gonna use the clean channel anyway?

10. I play music

Well, the Hotone Mojo Attack for example is cheaper than the Quilter 101 Mini Head and already has a high gain channel. And if you want to use another preamp/distortion with it, it's also possible...

11. vilk

vilk Very Regular

lol I guess I wasn't really talking about these two specific products as much as I was rambling about my own situation :lol: sorry

12. I play music

Yeah I get that no worries but I'd still prefer to have a high gain channel already. If you quickly want to jam with a friend then you can only grab the amp and take it with you in the guitar gig bag without pedals. That's my logic.

13. Jacksonluvr636

I get tired of lugging my stuff around. Pedalboard rig and i got the quilter in trade.

I play music likes this.
  14. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

I run a Revv G3 in front of a Fender Excelsior Pro as a practice rig in my office and it sounds amazing. I think I may actually prefer playing it over my Axe-Fx II XL.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  15. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

I am notorious for using/changing/buying new amps but ever since i started using my quilter toneblock 201 and amptweaker tightmetal ive never looked back. Been very happily using it for the past year or 2.
    I play mostly essentially technical/modern death metal and have or do own such amps as the vh140, ss150, 6505, dual rec, jcm800, vtm120, many more peaveys and others..... That im able to compare my current pedalboard rig to.
    Ill try to take some crappy phone vid sometime this week.

Fotor_15348439202225.jpg

16. Jacksonluvr636

Nice setup. I do have a few pedals on the radar. The Tight metal is one of them for sure.

17. mguilherme87

mguilherme87 SouthShoreSeven

I recommend the ISP Theta or Theta PRO (if you can afford it) Its probably on of the better preamp/distortion units and the PRO comes with all sorts of tweakable effects and a DI out for recording and live situations

18. Jacksonluvr636

Forgot about that one. Rewatched Fluffs vid and wow that does sound killer. Pretty pricey though imo. No way I would ever spend that much for the Pro, possibly the smaller one for $365.

mguilherme87 likes this.
  19. mguilherme87

mguilherme87 SouthShoreSeven

The smaller one can be had for $150-$200 used off Reverb or Ebay or something! My drummer plays in a band with Ethan Brosh and He uses and endorses that Theta! Sounds so very sick!

20. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

If u go for the tightmetal get it from amptweaker and pay the little bit extra for the resonance/presence mod!