Dissection - Where Dead Angels Lie - Cover

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Loco, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Loco

Loco SS.org Regular

Hello from Spain.
    I share with you my last full cover project, a cover for the song WHERE DEAD ANGELS LIE of the swedish band (Yes, a swedish band again jajaja) called DISSECTION.
    Everything created by me. No backing track sounding.
    100% made by me in E tuning.

- All Guitar Recording (Jackson SLSMG).
    - Bass and Drums midi programming.
    - Mixing and Mastering.

I hope you like it. THANK YOU.

All my covers in my channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ferlocodeath

episode666 likes this.
  2. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Very nice cover -- such an awesome band! Your guitar playing is spot-on. My only critique is on the sound of the drums and bass; they just sound like...well...programmed midi. I realize, most of the time, there just aren't many options there. I spend the majority of my production time on drums; making them sound as real as possible.

It sounds like you're playing this at a significantly higher tempo than the original Dissection version. I think this contributes to the 'fake' sounding drums, and to a lesser extent, the bass. I think if you added just a slight touch of reverb to the bass, it would sound more real because it would "smear" into the mix a little. Just a very light touch, mind you.

All in all, great choice in songs to cover, and like your last cover (Cold -- by At the Gates, right?), the guitar playing was awesome.

3. Handbanana

Handbanana SS.org Regular

Fuck me, I haven't heard this song in forever. Great album.

4. Loco

Loco SS.org Regular

Thanks again my friend for your kind words.
    Drums and Bass are midi programmed. I tried to sound as real as possible but as you say is the most complicated part of the mix.
    Good idea the little touch of reverb in the bass line. I will prove it in the next mix (Windowpane by Opeth), perhaps in parallel.

5. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Awesome cover dude, and a fantastic song too! Although it also seems like the tempo is slightly higher, but all credits to you playing it a higher tempo! Mix needs some work imo, but for having done this all yourself it sounds great.

6. Loco

Loco SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot my friend. It´s very comforting that you like it.
    In your opinion, what parts do you thing needs more work? What things would you apply?
    i need tips to improve my mixes. THANKS

7. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

De nada!
    Well like mentioned above, the drums sound very programmed, so I would personally work on the velocities to make them sound more realistic and less of the same sound the whole time. The kick also needs some more low end, snare could some more smack/stick attack. In general the drums sound pretty good though, but more realism and more thump to the kick will do wonders already.
    The mix is also slightly harsh, mostly due to the loud guitars and the fact that the low-end of the bass is barely audible and as a result not driving the mix the way it should. In general, the mix is slightly thin. And of course, it being "black metal" i guess it doesn't require as much bass maybe, but the mix still requires some low end push. Turn the guitars down, bass up and let them gel more as one instrument.
    That being said, I still like your mix, it suits the song!

8. Loco

Loco SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot for your comments. (Tack så mycket för dina kommentarer jajaja)

As a summary it would be the following:
    Guitars are too loud, drums not very human, poor low-end in bass and kick.
    They are the same mistakes that people tell me in all the projects. I have to improve these aspects.

The velocity in drums are:
    Kick and Snare: Between 120-127
    Rest of parts of drums: Between 115-127
    What values would you recommend me? More variation?

What plugins could I use to improve the low end response in bass and kick?

THANKS AGAIN MY FRIEND

9. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Hey man, I just listened to your track again, and here is what I'd try with the bass and drums:

I wouldn't play around with variation in velocities quite yet. That's kind of a final step (but important). You can do most of what I recommend with a good EQ plugin.

It sounds like the kick is high-passed a little too high, so it sounds kind of "clicky" without as much "meat" as it could possibly have. It isn't a terribly fast song, double-bass-wise, so you could get away with more bottom end. I'd set the high-pass all the way down to 45-50 hz. Mess around with giving the kick drum a little boost anywhere from 60-80hz. That'll increase sustain on the bass drum hits, and some will kind of blend together when the drum is played fast, but IMO it sounds a lot more natural.

Try giving the snare a little boost in the 180-200 hz region. That'll give the snare more body and also help ensure that it still cuts through the kick drum and overall mix.

Finally, for bass guitar sounds, I'd high-pass it a little higher than the kick drum; say around 65-80hz. I always do at least two tracks of bass guitar; the clean signal is EQ'd to just have the lower frequencies, and then I have a dirtier signal that is EQ'd for mids and low-highs. I blend them so that just a little grit is audible, but the bass is still primarily a bass instrument; providing low-end under the guitars. On your mix, the bass sounds a little twangy; not quite enough low-end rumble to my ears. It depends on what sound you're going for though. I could definitely hear your bass no problem, which is a good thing.

10. Loco

Loco SS.org Regular

Thank you very much for your time and words!!!
    I´m going to apply your recomendation of boost the low-end kick in the 60-80hz area.
    In the bass guitar, i do the same techniche as you of split de bass in two: low and distortion, in the Nolly of Periphery style. Perhaps i have to increase the volume in low in reference with de distortion volume.
    As always, try and try until you hit jajaja
    Thanks a lot for listen to the song and comment