Disincentive To Work

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Eric Christian, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

She talked about how Obamacare was nothing more than a big slop trough for big HMO & Pharma. I think she sums up the feelings of most younger people that were suckered into voting for B.O.

2. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

"Suckered into voting for Obama."

Are you kidding me?

Maybe it had something to do with the fact they didn't want a homophobic, anti-choice, anti-poor, (the list goes on) stooge in office who's main goal was to reduce taxes on the rich. I think the ACA was a very small factor in getting him elected.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather live in a slightly unstable country where equal rights are held to be important rather than a stable one based on a Christian theocracy...

Edit: Again, let's not pretend that the right has anything better in the works...big pharma aside.

3. narad

narad SS.org Regular

By "talked about" you mean...ranted while a series of propagandized pictures scrolled through the backdrop? Whatever reasonable debate might be had on the topic, some random attention-seeking youtuber regurgitating the talking points of other random attention-seeking youtubers isn't helping anyone.

If you form your political opinions from youtube, there's no saving you. You're just a bored weekend away from believing in the illuminati and modern day plesiosaurs.

4. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

What you don't get is that people like me were voting against McCain/Romney, not for Obama.

It was the lesser of two evils.

5. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

^ Amen.

6. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Possible? Sure...

Probable?

:ugh:

7. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

There were other choices you know. If only 34% voted for one of them things might have been different. Tell me one thing the girl said that is less than truthful...

8. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Well basically everything she says is suspect, because she's dealing with terribly complicated issues and summarizing them in one sentence. I don't know many of these issues, but I have the common sense to know there is more at play, so I decided to nitpick one at random for 5 minutes.

There was a shot of a news broadcast reading something like, "Obama signs NDAA granting indefinite detention of American citizens.", which she attributed solely to Obama. Some quick Googling would point out, besides anything else that may be misleading about that statement, that it was John McCain who pushed for that power to remain in the bill (which is actually rather uncharacteristic of McCain, who I always at least appreciated for being stern on PoW type issues due to his own personal experience):

In November, a bipartisan group of Senators affixed an amendment to the NDAA that would have explicitly prohibited the military from detaining American citizens on US soil. But earlier this week, a House-Senate conference committee led by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) stripped away that measure.

All points are complex. Politics is complex. It is, in fact, purposely complex. If you wanted a government where the president had significant sway over all of these issues, and electing a new president meant sweeping reforms against resistance from congress, then you aren't looking for a democracy. Democracy averages out - over a wide enough window it's quite clear we're making improvements, as viewed from the perspective of a modern citizen.

9. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

Nothing terribly complicated about the assassination of two American citizens by their own government. They were simply executed without any trial. All targeted killings like this were directly authorized by the Commander in Chief.

Anwar al-Awlaki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I don't even care. Suspected Al-Qaeda operative in Yemen. I'm not a fan of the run-all-over-the-world-assassinating-people thing that governments love to do, but if that's how we're going to play it I don't see why it matters what country someone was born in. An enemy combatant is an enemy combatant.

11. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

You don't even care? I'm an American and I do care about the Bill of Rights and Constitution of these folks. Many Americans have fought and died for these two citizens. Neither committed an offense that warranted the death penalty, nor were either given due process of our laws.

12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

And if an American citizen had been a commander in an opposing unit in a previous war, would we have arrested them or killed them? The definition of war has changed, and as tangential as all of this is, certainly discussing that is much too far removed from the topic of this thread. But you conflate two issues: 1.) what is the status of an American citizen who plots, orders, or encourages violence against other American citizens, i.e., what constitutes an enemy combatant, and 2.) what is appropriate treatment for such combatants.

Like I said, I'd prefer we'd just mind our own, but if we're going to pursue this more general definition of war then citizenship is a non-issue, and has always been a non-issue.

Too ironic. We should have a seance to see just how much effort they believe we should go through to detain people who wish harm to American citizens.

13. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

If that's the case then by the laws we have in place we right now we follow the process to change the Bill of Rights and Constitution to allow American citizens to be executed without a trial not just make up something behind closed doors and call it real when it clearly violates the law of the land. All three branches of our Federal government are bound to follow the Bill of Rights and Constitution. Each member takes an oath to protect the Bill of Rights and our Constitution. At which point they don't keep the oath then we are in a state of lawless anarchy pure and simple.

14. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

Yep, let's bring that situation up again....

BENGAZI.
    BENGAZI.
    BENGAZI.

Bring a substantive talking point and not a polarized piece of conservative rhetoric to the table and we can talk.

15. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Separate from the issue of whether it's warranted or constitutional, the lack of pragmatism is also disconcerting. Let's make a big deal about the rights of two citizens on foreign soil who aim to do harm and train/motivate others to other American citizens, while neglecting issues that affect the 318 million other citizens. Just like the conservative media: something important to do domestically? Let's get 24 hour news coverage seeking to scandalize Benghazi for six months. Priorities are all a mess.

There's statistically more innocent people currently on death row, which is ultimately a more egregious injustice, but it's difficult to make that a political issue so let's not talk about reforms to the criminal justice system which affects millions. We'll just talk about the two men whose motives were so infringing on the safety of the American public that they were identified on a shortlist of terrorists, and weren't included under it. I'm not saying it's right, but it's clearly more of a talking point than a substantial issue, and would be way down on the list if we were sorting it by the degree it actually affects American citizens.

I also love how people include "with drones!" like it ups the scandal even more. Jeez Obama, kill your people with other people, just like everyone else!

EDIT: ^^ ha, yea, just what I was thinking with Benghazi.

16. asher

asher So Did We

Wishful thinking at this point, I'd say. Ever leaning more heavily towards troll.

17. SpaceDock

I'm glad he's keeping all of this repubtardness confined to one thread.

18. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

"Repubtardness"

That's pretty cute. Maybe Webster will eventually add that to their hipster dictionary.

However, I'm not affiliated with that party. Thanks for the insinuation though.

19. SpaceDock

^ just messing with ya :p

20. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

See Narad's earlier comment about your political proclivities.

You may not be officially affiliated with the Republican party, but you regurgitate enough of their rhetoric and talking points that it honestly doesn't make much of a difference expect on paper.

Note that this is not an insult. It's a statement of fact. You've attacked:

Drone Killings
    Obamacare
    Government Handouts

Let alone any actual content, the way in which you've titled or raised each point proves you aren't coming to the table unbiased and willing to be educated. An open mind is important in debates like these. I think it speaks volumes that most of us have voiced in some way or another that we don't necessarily support Obama and the Democrats, but we're certainly NOT going to let the Republicans and their Christian cohorts get their grubby hands on the helm of our country. Lesser of two evils, simple as that.