Disappointing NGD-Guitar returned

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MetalHead40, Jun 30, 2017.

1. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Well after 5 months or so of waiting from the initial pre-order date, I received my RG1027-PBF a couple weeks ago and within the first 30 seconds of pulling it out of box knew it was going right back. It had some issues that may have been easily corrected by me, but I decided not to keep it just based on principle.

The major issues/reasons I returned it were:

1) Tuning machine mounting screws were backing out and several were screwed in on an angle to start with. One of the screws was just a half turn away from literally falling out.

2) the Strap button on the body was installed on an angle. No big deal, but at that price point, c'mon Ibanez :(

I just couldn't justify keeping it at this price point point despite loving the aesthetics, play ability, and tone of the guitar. The neck was simply incredible to look at and to play on. This was my first 7 string experience and honestly it was more comfortable to play on than my 6 stringers. The frets were stainless, which I love, and felt slick as hell. The wenge fretboard figuring was incredible on this guitar, absolutely stunning.

The figuring and finish on the body was insanely beautiful as well. Was definitely a tough decision sending it back but felt those little flaws would haunt me, so back it went :(

Toxin likes this.
  2. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

Pics? To me these sound exceptionally minor. Maybe I'm just not seeing what you're seeing?

Descent likes this.
  3. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

This needed pics

4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

holy farts that guitar costs more than a prestige line

5. chuggalug

chuggalug SS.org Regular

I dont know why people are asking for pics?...I dont need a picture to visualize exactly what it is you are describing.
    I'm sure all the complaints you have are like you said easy fixes - who wants to get a brand new guitar that looks as good aesthetically as the RG1027-PBF does and then have to turn right back around and take it apart and reassemble it correctly.

I'll just say that you can throw all the pretty woods you want on a guitar, at the end of the day its a $1300 indonesian made guitar.
    I've owned several indonesian made Ibby's and unfortunately its a crapshoot...out of the 4 i've owned I kept 1. The others were laughable as far as build quality/QC goes.

I like ibanez, but this premium line garbage they have going on is just that. GARBAGE.

Descent, AxeHappy, Ammusa and 3 others like this.
  6. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Yeah I don't have the most faith in the Premium line, although I have heard that quality and consistency have made significant improvements since I last dabbled in the nicer indo stuff. Still not going to risk it until prices come down a bit. That sucks dude, I'm with you though. Screws loose I can deal, but screws drilled in at an angle? That's....that's something that would bug me.

7. MetalHead40

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

8. MetalHead40

^^^
    I have more pics, but Photobucket is going wonky on me. These are all I can get to work, but there was a screw almost completely backed out not far from basically falling out the back of the machine head. Like I said these are relatively minor things, and I could have corrected them, but its the fact of the matter for me. YMMV.

9. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

If its not made in a country that actually pays its workers decent, I don't trust it. Not to say you cant get a good guitar from asia(Japan is still exceptional IMO) and such. And frankly, the best bang for your buck is something indo just due to the fact that if you get a gem, the cost to quality ratio really comes out in your favor.

But 2 things, 1. When I buy American, Canadian, Aussie, English, German, ect..., the odds of getting a bunk guitar just always drop down to a great ratio of good to bad. If i take a American Strat off the wall, damn near every time, its a solid guitar.
    And 2. It rubs me the wrong way when your buying an indo/import guitar and they are charging as much as they do. 1300 bucks for an indo guitar is just too much IMO. It takes away the bang for the buck by raising the price and doesnt up the quality in the process.
    For 1300 bonez, you can get a solid MIA ect... guitar.

10. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

lmao
    The guitar is $1300, minor things shouldn't be an issue.

couverdure likes this.
  11. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

Good luck with that.

12. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Yeah, I understand why the OP sent it back. For the price it shouldn't have those issues.

That said, I'm so picky about guitars that if it played well, sounded nice, and had a good looking top, a few odd screws wouldn't have sent it packing.

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

1300 is the new 800

14. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

That sucks man. I recently picked up an Indo Iron Label 8 and *almost* sent it back. Around $1100...fret edges were sharp, neck finish had bumps all over it, and the nut came off after two restrings. Luckily I was able to fix all those things on my own, but I imagine if I didn't know how to do that stuff, I'd have probably exchanged for a new one. Which honestly would have been a shame because the fretboard on it is one of the best cuts of rosewood I've ever seen, better than my old Petrucci even. Like 7 Strings of Hate said, if you get a gem (or a partial gem) from an Indo guitar, you have really scored.

15. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Suddenly my signature feels relevant again thanks to this thread.
    I just don't like hearing "Anything that isn't made in a specific country means that I won't buy it because I have a higher risk of grabbing a lemon" because it generalizes all guitars made in those other countries as unworthy.
    I still don't understand why Photobucket is still being used in 2017 when there are a lot of alternative image sharing sites out there (that aren't Imgur of course).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  16. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Read what you just said. How does saying "higher risk of grabbing a lemon" turn into "because it generalizes all guitars made in those other countries as unworthy.
    First off, its true that the ratio of good to bad guitars is higher with certian places, and 2nd, I pointed out how if you get a good one you score.
    Problem is, 1300 is way too much for an indo guitar IMO.

FILTHnFEAR, AxeHappy and trem licking like this.
  17. MetalHead40

You know sending it back was a damn hard decision because like I said it had an amazing neck and the fretwork was sooooo nice, but I've just set a standard for any new guitar I get. If that guitar was in the $500-$800 range I'd of given in, fixed the issues myself, and kept it. It does still hurt to have let it go but $1200-$1300...naaaa.

As for the photobucket thing, I'm not too up on whats out there for pics. Maybe I'll explore other options this weekend and see if I can get the pics back up. Sorry bought that!

18. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I'm just an old chunk of coal, but I felt 7 Strings of Hate's original post was fair and accurate, and that anyone looking to be offended would first need to put words in his mouth before claiming offense.

19. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Yeah I agree completely.
    I'm definitely an unapologetic Ibanez fanboy- but the emphasis on the Indonesian stuff definitely bothers me. I get it, from a business perspective, because their margins on those guitars have to be amazing. But the fact that you just crank up the specs (Ebony, Stainless, BKPs, 11p necks, etc) doesn't justify the (in my OPINION) meteoric spike in price without the corresponding increase in craftsmanship. Especially with how they seem to be deliberately keeping these specs largely out of the Prestige line...definitely a sour taste.

20. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

J-custom - some features / best quality = $$$$
    Prestige - less features/ better quality = $$$
    Premium - more features / less quality = $$
    Standard - less features / less quality = $

Simple business practice really. I think Prestige delivers best bang for the buck. At only a few hundred dollars more msrp than premium, prestige deliver a better quality instrument, with less features. i won't sacrifice quality for features. Quality is #1 imo