Direct-In heavy guitar tone?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by JD80, Sep 26, 2010.

1. JD80

JD80 SS.org Regular

Hey Guys,

I've been searching through forums again, listening to demos, etc. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Is there a viable option for doing some kind of direct-in guitar tracking that gets say, 95% close to using a tube amp, a cabinet and a mic? In fact, I'd settle for 90%. But seriously, its 2010, hasn't somebody got the $hlt figured out yet?

I have a PODXT, and a Line 6 vetta II. I find the heavy guitar sounds out of those to both be severely lacking.

I'm willing to spend some money, but my "recording" "studio" is essentially my apartment with neighbors on all sides, so getting tone via cranking a tube amp through a cab isn't possible. I have a damn uberschall, but I can't use that to record here.

Sorry if this is a n00b question but, I'm a recording newbie, so that's the only kind of questions I have so far.

2. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

3. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

:scratch: I don't think you are doing it correctly. Those have produced the heaviest tones his forum have ever heard.

4. JD80

JD80 SS.org Regular

5. JD80

JD80 SS.org Regular

Well, they can be quite heavy, but they still sound pretty digital IMO, especially when recording. The Vetta 2 sounds pretty decent with the speakers (its a 2x12 combo), but again, its DI really that I'm looking for.

6. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

Haha it is expensive, but all in all, it actually sounds like its running tubes. It's not gonna be hard to work out a good tone like line 6 products and all and it's worth every penny!

7. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

+1 to AxeFX, it was basically made PRECISELY for what you're looking to do.

8. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

And made to make me want it but be unable to afford it. :(

9. Splees

Splees splees

The POD HD is coming out shortly... maybe that is the answer you are looking for.

10. jaretthale78

jaretthale78 7 stringed playa

wait. so you got a vetta II and a uberschall and u cant get a decent metal tone? woah...

11. Splees

Splees splees

12. Slampop

Slampop Artist: Idoler

dude, if you got a POD and Vetta...i still have complete faith in those, and with some tender time put into the post eq, and a lil bit of love, you can make it sound tubey as hell. but if you want quick results that take little to no time to work on post recording...the Axe fx is your friend! :yesway: the price however is not! :noway:

note: i have also heard that the engl e530 can yield some decent tubey direct in results as well btw...

13. Andii

Andii Captain tying knots

Use your amp head connected to a cab or dummy load and use impulse responses.

If you use your cab as a load and record the signal from the send on your effects loop you won't have to buy anything.

14. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

15. JD80

JD80 SS.org Regular

16. Splees

Splees splees

Yep. Just take the line out from the load and into your interface. slap on some impulses and booyah you got awesome tone and a gold record.
    You could use the line out from the uberschall but you'd still need to plug into a cab. kind of defeats the purpose of silent recording though. Your best bet and investment would probably a dummy load. At least that's what I think.

17. JD80

JD80 SS.org Regular

I've been looking at these Weber attenuators. It states that the Lite version doesn't have the full "DI Tone Stack". Any idea what this is? Is that some sort of tone shaping function...something better left to impulses?"

18. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Best attenuator + line out I got to try (and I tried quite a few of them, hotplates, spl cabulator, etc) is the Marshall SE100, provided you like marshall cabs. It's quite old gear now but it's very good.

19. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

building up on this post.....I don't mean to appear condesending....apologies if I am, but maybe it would be best to detail how you are recording and what you are doing with the tracks? The only reason I ask is that I've heard some amazing recordings using pod xt's, vettas and amplitube 3 from a variety of people. Personally I don't see why you should spend any more money on gear, especially if you might end up having the same, or worse tone if it's an issue with production/eq/whatever, and not the gear itself.

my two cents anyway.

20. Splees

Splees splees

Well the uberschall does have a line out, unless I'm mistaken. So you wouldn't have to worry about the line out of the dummy load too much. as long as the weber is accepting the load you can still record silently from the uber's line output and using an impulse on that.

the mass lite will be fine. although it would be nice to have the option for the tonestack later on.