Dingwall pickups for SR405EQM?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by WintermintP, Jul 11, 2018.

1. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

I'm not able to change strings today but today is the only day I can record that new track... Is there anything I can do to mitigate the damage?

WintermintP

2. WintermintP

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1teN8He7BbaMkiIWTgZwaVekoelHz_hT0

I can't tell you what I did to enhance the DI but what I can tell you is that I've now split the DI into three channels. One of them is the low which is everything but the fundamental lowpassed out and then the fundamental brickwalled to oblivion. The second is the B7K Ultra tone with the fundamental highpassed out. The third is the VD Ultra tone with everything below 1K highpassed out and additional grit added using the VD.

Also, what I ultimately decided to do was buy DR bass strings. They should take two weeks to arrive. I'm a little nervous because the packaging has a spider on it and I'm afraid of spiders...

WintermintP

3. WintermintP

@LordIronSpatula Okay, back on the topic of preamps, do you recommend any preamps that would go great with the SR405EQM?

Also, you said that people that wanted to get this kind of a tone went for Fender-style instruments. Were they successful? Will a 5-string J Bass with a B7K sound real close to that of the Dingwall tone as shown in the video?

More examples of what I'm after:

This one's not a Dingwall, I don't think.

WintermintP

4. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

To be honest, the basses in those two videos you posted don't sound all that alike to me. The first is pretty much the NG-2 signature sound, I'm guessing with the pickups in series. Hard to tell in the second video, but I'd say it looks and sounds like some kind of P-style bass, maybe with hotter pickups.

I don't think a Fender-style bass can truly cop the Dingwall sound. "Real close" is probably subjective but I would say for the sound of the bass itself, no. For how it sits in the mix compared to the clips you've posted, maybe. If the second clip above is any indication, it might get close enough to satisfy you - as I said, I'm pretty sure that bass is Fender-style.

You may have already seen them if you've been digging, but here's a couple videos of Fenders with the B7k.

You'll notice without the ability to put the pickups in series, the Fender basses miss a lot of the throaty low mids that NG-2 clips often have. Keep in mind also that the heaviness of right hand attack varies quite a bit, along with the gain settings. Again, I don't think either of them sound like Dingwalls, but I think they're a lot closer to your goal than your last DI track is. If they had a series option they might get closer still, but that's something I've never messed with.

Regarding preamps, there's the aforementioned Darkglass Tone Capsule, which has two mid bands instead of mids and highs. There are also 4-band Audere preamps that give you independent control of low mids and high mids - they're excellent and I love mine, but they're a little more subtle. Pretty much anything would probably be better than OEM in your case.

However, I want to be clear that based on your clips I don't think a new pre is the cost-effective solution to your problems. If you get a new pre and new pickups, you could be looking at several hundred dollars, especially if you get a combo like FD-3s and a Tone Capsule. Putting all that in your Soundgear kind of seems like overkill. Don't get me wrong, it might work. But I'd at least consider putting that money toward a brighter sounding bass and some new strings instead. Maybe even sell the Soundgear if you're not using it for other stuff and put that money in the pot too. Just a thought.

5. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I don't think a Dingwall Combustion costs 3000 Canadian Dollars...

6. WintermintP

Based on the maths I did, I have found a new Dingwall for $2.2K, but that's just the bass alone. You mustn't forget that I use real heavy gauges on bass strings.

The second clip in question is actually a double-humbucker bass. As I've indicated in the second clip, It doesn't have the "throaty mids" but it does have the clangy treble and that is what I'm actually after. The clangy treble tone that would cut through in Drop G tuning. Neither of the clips sound any satisfactory but that's just because the guy didn't dial that much gain on his B7K. I couldn't care less of the low mids at all, as I would be cutting them anyway. The clangy treble is what I actually want.

For the exact same reason I have begun considering the Sterling Stingray bass. It's also got a really nice price tag. Good idea or no?

WintermintP

7. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

8. WintermintP

Well it couldn't just be the fresh strings... although I understand that does play a big factor... :'<

@LordIronSpatula 2:21 on the first video is real close to what I'm looking for actually.

0:57 YAAAAS O3O O3O O3O O3O DIS TONE O3O O3O O3O O3O #fuego

WintermintP

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  9. WintermintP

@LordIronSpatula (sorry for the double-post but I'm not able to edit the other one so I have to ask here)

So is it going to be possible to get that 0:57 tone on the above video with a Ray5 and not a Ray35? The price tag of the Ray35 feels too steep right now. I know for a fact that I'm selling all of the stuff I don't use so I can save up for that Dingwall bass but...

WintermintP

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  10. WintermintP

@Beheroth I thought about it again, and... maybe I should wait until the DR DDT order's in before I actually start making a decision. If you haven't kept up, yes, I did say I did order the DR DDTs. They should arrive this week actually. You have to understand, though, I hate spiders and the spider on the front of the packaging is really going to make me want to wear gloves before I touch the packaging. DON'T JUDGE!!!! >.<

WintermintP

11. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Stingray-style basses in general can usually get a pretty grindy high-mid thing going, though to me it sounds a little less open than a Jazz. I don't have any experience with either of the particular models you mentioned, though I doubt they would sound significantly different, especially with the amount of gain you intend to use. Try finding some youtube demos, or even dig around on Talkbass. I'm sure someone has compared them.

12. WintermintP

I found some threads but the responses have too many varying degrees. I'll have to rent out a Ray5 if I can, or see if I can play a Ray5 through a Darkglass B7K. It's a bit of a shame that what I have is a plugin version of the B7K.

EDIT:

O3O

WintermintP

13. WintermintP

Hold on, THIS is actually Andrew Baena playing a lower end Ibanez vs what I currently have... O_O

So it really could be that I just need fresh strings?! O_O;;

WintermintP

14. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Your strings did sound quite dead in your clip. If you're happy with how Baena's SR sounds, new strings will certainly get you closer. The Baena clip sounds to me like yet another different tone, but the fact that you seem open to a few sounds as possibilities could well mean there's a tone attainable with your SR that would work for you.

Personally, if I was starting from the sound you've got now I'd be looking at more than just the strings. I think there's more work to be done later in the signal chain as well. But strings are a huge variable and a relatively inexpensive one at that, which makes them a great place to start. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

15. WintermintP

@LordIronSpatula Sorry for the late reply!

I was dialling some tones on another DI of the same bass and I started to feel, yes, it actually might be the strings that are the biggest problem. Although if I really were to change the onboard preamp, I would have to get a preamp that actually fits the current SR405EQM routing, and I've heard of a number of different preamps, none of which actually complies with that criterion.

I would get the Tone Capsule if I could, but there are two main problems. One is that there is no treble control, which is concerning because treble is the main bulk of the bass tone I'm looking for, and the other problem is that there are only EQ knobs for the preamp, which means not only do I have to check if they're going to fit the smaller holes, I'm also going to have to figure out how I'm going to solder it to the existing blend knob and volume knob (I think it's the master volume knob?). Also, price (and accessibility, because there aren't any stores in Canada that sells one, seems like).

WintermintP

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  16. WintermintP

Oh?! I didn't realise that there were those screwdriver suckers like there were for EMG pickups! So does one pair work for the blend knob and the other for the volume knob? O.O

If so I found a site that seems like they're selling it for... roughly $220-ish?

WintermintP

17. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

I'd say get a Darkglass B7K or something like that, and you'd be sorted. Everything else sounds like you're trying to band aid your tone.

18. WintermintP

I was hoping you would catch this and not let it fly over your head, but unless I were to play live as a bass player in a band, which is still a possibility, there is literally no point buying another B7K because I already have one in plugin form and that's basically all I need when it comes to a bass rig. What I am looking into, though, is a new set of strings as well as a Tone Capsule to go with the B7K that I already have.

https://neuraldsp.com/products/darkglass-ultra-plugins/

Make no mistake, when recording all of my guitar and bass parts, I just go DI and use plugins for all of my tones. Expensive plugins at that...

That being said, getting a hardware bass amp is still a possibility, but I'm looking into the AO Ultra more so than the B7K, although it's still possible that I might get the B7K Ultra anyway, depending on where the world takes us.

@Beheroth @LordIronSpatula Anyway, update on the strings, I contacted the store and they said I won't be getting them until 1 August. I'm getting a little nervous because the deadline for "Numbered Days" is coming up.

WintermintP

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  19. WintermintP

Seriously, can anybody please chime in and help me figure out how I'm going to install the Darkglass Tone Capsule? Thanks in advance.

WintermintP

20. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

Before spending any money try a parametric EQ plugin before the B7K plugin with those freqs : 70hz, 500hz and 2.8Khz because that's literally what the tone capsule is : a 3band EQ.

LordIronSpatula likes this.