Dingwall NAMM 2018 Reveals!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by TheEmptyCell, Jan 12, 2018.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall Player

Los Angeles / Nashville / Syracuse / Belfast
    Sheldon put a tremendous amount of effort into getting Dingwall quality cheaper. The Combustion, NG, and now Standard Bird series’ are all made in China, but get a full fretjob, nut filing, and setup in the Canadian Shop.

Combustion’s start at around $1600, the cheapest ABZ is well over $2000, and a long wait.

Apparently the new Combustion/ NG neck profile is very similar to the AB neck profile.

2. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

The question is whether or not to get a NG2 on close-out or wait for the NG3. #firstworldproblems haha

3. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I’ve not played the MIC Dingwalls but the MIC Warwicks are fantastic. Honestly other than for ego, I’d recommend a new MIC Warwick over a used German one if buying sight unseen. They are very nicely made and playing, and I dare say more consistent than some of the German ones...

I assume the Dingwall MIC stuff is also pretty darn nice.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's amazing to see how far the MIC Warwick stuff has come. I remember when they were garbage. The Korean ones were great too.

5. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

I don't know the situation now but when I got my NG2 it was almost a year wait. The demand is so high that they don't need to close them out. They rarely sit around for long enough.

6. BigViolin

BigViolin Rosewood Boarded Contributor

Maybe I missed it but where did you see that the NG2 was being closed out?

7. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I haven't seen one, I'm being a bit presumptuous in assuming that there will be a closeout. However if there is I'm so on it.

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I'd be surprised if they close out the NG2. And even if they did, I doubt they'd discount price. People will pay retail for them even if the NG3 is an option. They just get snapped up even before they hit the stores. I bought mine as soon as the store knew one would be incoming. And personally, I don't mind just having the two pickups. The 3rd would be nice, but, like guitars, it's hardly a deal breaker.

Sheldon was smart with the swirls, though. I want one of those!

9. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

When you guys say order them, are they spec ordered or off the shelf?

10. Screamingdaisy

Screamingdaisy SS.org Regular

If they make the NG-3 slightly more expensive than the NG-2 they'll never have to discount the NG-2.

Plus, it looks like the NG-2 hasn't been discontinued.

Hollowway likes this.
  11. xwmucradiox

Aside from color there are no options and most NG2s are sold before they arrive at the shop. When they first came out the wait was about a year so I paid a 50% deposit in the Fall and got the bass late the next summer. Seems like there are a few available in stores on reverb now that they've been out for a few years. But say you want a different finish than what's in stock somewhere, you'll probably wait 8-12 months after placing your order.

12. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

Ah, I understand. That seems like a long wait. In my experience with Dingwall, I've bought a ABZ6 off the shelf, then ordered another ABZ6 but with a different finish, neck wood and pickup config (which is now the triple pickup selection), but had to wait about a year for it. Sounds like the NG series are more in demand though!

13. xwmucradiox

The NG series are just a bass regular folks can afford and for a while were the only option if you wanted a longer scale bass for tuning low. Now there are others but the NG2 is still top of the heap tonally to me. I'd love to have a really nice Dingwall but Im just never going to spend $4000 on one.

Mwoit likes this.
  14. RND

RND SS.org Regular

Wow, I thought Dingwall had stopped doing lefties altogether... Man, my wallet is glaring at me now.

15. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall Player

Los Angeles / Nashville / Syracuse / Belfast
    They ever did lefties, now they do. Or they will by the end of the year.

16. RND

RND SS.org Regular

Gotcha, wow. I've gotta seriously consider them now. I've always wanted one :yum:

17. -Cloud-

-Cloud- SS.org Regular

I have to say I am a bit confused by the NG3 control layout. The one you posted makes a lot of sense (bridge, bridge+middle series, bridge+neck parallel, and neck), but it does not correspond to the official layout on the Dingwall website (attached).

Would you mind shedding light on this, Nolly? Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

18. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

It looks like they've decided to use the pickup settings from the D-Bird bass instead of the normal 3x in the NG-3. The D-bird uses a different version of the 4-way pickup selector than the other Canadian basses. If you prefer the normal 3x, Dingwall will sell you that version of the switch. They are interchangeable.

19. -Cloud-

-Cloud- SS.org Regular

Interchangeable? How?

I admit I bought it from an online shop without knowing this detail, and now I am more than tempted to replace the switch on order to have a bridge+middle series configuration. That's the sound I was aiming at, and I must say I am surprised by the lack of clarity from Dingwall on this matter.

20. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Interchangeable as in they are essentially the same except for the pickup selections. They drop in and connect to the pickups the same way.

I'm surprised too, honestly. The bridge+middle series setting seems to be the quintessential tone of the NG-2, and is my favorite of the settings in every demo. Maybe they feel the "all three" combined parallel/series setting covers that same ground. I intend to get one of the six string NG-3s when they come out, and though I'll give the D-bird switch a chance if it comes stock, I anticipate bridge+middle series and bridge+neck parallel being the most useful combinations for my needs.

I may even wire up a custom 6-way switch.

1 - bridge solo
    2 - bridge and middle parallel
    3 - bridge and middle series
    4 - middle solo
    5 - bridge and neck parallel
    6 - neck solo