Dimazio fans - Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Vyn, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I've mostly played on Seymour Duncans (i think I've had at least one of everything in the catalogue now) for 15 years and I'm looking at experimenting with Dimarzio for something different. Requirements:

Bridge: lots of dry, tight riffage (think The Faceless/most tech death but the Faceless in particular is a big influence, love that sound).

Neck: Fat, warm saturated lead goodness. Not too much spank, more buttery than anything else.

I'm not really open to actives or -insert boutique pickup brand here- either. Fire away people!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

titan set or else a d-sonic/illuminator bridge paired with a liquifire neck should fit those descriptions.
    The titan bridge is the driest/tightest sounding dimarzio ime. The neck is kind of like the liquifire where it has silky smooth lead tones, but neither are super warm/fat.

-d-sonic would have the most low end but it's tight and mean enough for tech death ime. Easily the most aggressive of the 3 bridges i mentioned.
    -illuminator would have less bass than the d-sonic, but a bit more than the titan, and is the most versatile, but also still great for techy stuff.
    -Titan is very dry and tight sounding, and you need a ton of gain to saturate it. It's got a little bit more mid heavy voicing than the others, which doesn't necessarily work with every setup. it's excellent for techy stuff.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    lemeker, AkiraSpectrum and Vyn like this.
  3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

The Faceless tone is EMG 81 ;) I've had Titan once and D-activator few times in bridge position, and they're usual suspects for that kind of tones you described.

4. Vyn

Haha, I know the PD tone is a combo of 81's into a Randall V2 and GTR VST plugins. I'm trying to avoid going active if possible, don't quite like the feel.

5. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

What are the guitar specs? I really like the D-Activator in basswood for this.

6. Vyn

Bolt-on neck, various body/neck wood combinations. Not really taking the woods into account - they affect the tone, but not enough that can't be dialled in/out on the amp (heck even if it can't it adds something unique to the sound).

7. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Titan set.

8. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

Email the techs at Dimarzio and ask them. They are very responsive and will get back to you in a day.

aesthyrian, Vyn and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  9. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Dimarzio has very good customer service, in my experience, and generally provide really good information. I always think its good to recognize companies in the music industry that provide good customer service. I'm also more likely to buy from those companies in the future when they have friendly and helpful support.

aesthyrian likes this.
  10. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Titan bridge, Air Norton neck. Problem solved.

11. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've owned a bunch of Dimarzio pickups, including the Titans, Crunch Lab/Liquifire, D-Activator, Tone Zone/Air Norton, Evo 2, Breed, and PAF Pros. Others as well, but in 7 string formats.

I go for a similar sound to what you've described and I love the Dominion bridge and Gravity Storm neck for it :yesway: Titans would be my second choice, though.

12. Vyn

After a lot of research, demos, advice from here and other sources -drumroll-

...I went with Black Winters again. It's @KailM 's fault.

13. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I'm glad I could steer you in the right direction...without even posting in this thread until now. :lol:

14. Vyn

It's your fault because I bought my first set of them way back when after seeing you post in the worship thread and they're been the go-to since xD

15. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Haha -- as much as I hype them, I really do believe they're a versatile set of pickups. I should be getting a new guitar in a few weeks that I'm going to setup for E Standard/Eb Standard, and I'm already thinking about putting a BW in the bridge, even though I'll primarily use the guitar for old-school metal, thrash, classic rock, and lots of clean playing. They work really well for that stuff just by rolling off a little volume on the guitar. I'm tempted to try something else in the neck, but may end up going with the full set anyway, lol. They just work for me.