Dimarzios to thicken up RG; Illuminators?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by EdgeCrusher, Dec 29, 2017.

1. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

Hey everybody, I'm looking to swap out the pickups in my RG570. This particular guitar sounds a bit thin and lifeless overall compared to my RG7 and RG8. Probably a combination of the Edge trem and thinner neck, so less mass compared to the fixed bridges and wider necks of my other guitars.

It is currently equipped with a D-Sonic and Humbucker From Hell. I love the D-Sonic in my 7, but it doesn't sound quite as good in the 6. This is my drop d/standard tuned guitar and will be used primarily for jamming metalized cover songs, rock, prog, etc. Looking for a slightly less super tight tone with more body. It previously had the Tone Zone and Air Norton combo, which I know is probably what popped in to most of your heads when reading this thread's title, lol. These had more body and thickness, but less tightness than I wanted. The D-Sonic/HFH helped tighten it up, but thinned it out. I'd like a happy medium, which is why I'm thinking about the Illuminators, but I have no experience with them.

I'm also thinking about swapping out the pots while I'm at. It actually has older RG270 pots and wiring as I built this guitar from parts. Do newer, more high quality pots make any difference in tone, assuming they are the same value?

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I think the Illuminators (bridge anyway) is going to be tighter and more narrow than your D-sonic. I recommend the Dominion bridge; kind of like a tighter tone zone with more aggression, but still retains a very large/full sound with tons of mids.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for in a neck pickup based on your limited description though.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

Super distortion 3 is pretty thick sounding

4. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

If you want to thicken it up, a Breed will do so nicely!

5. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

+1 for SD3. It's a great versatile pickup if you want to cover all bases with very minor tradeoffs in some corners. I'd probably call it “DiMarzio's JB“...

6. NikolajBak

NikolajBak SS.org Regular

I have an Illuminator 6 bridge in my Ibanez S, and I've tried it in my rg as well. It is significantly lower output than the TZ and it is IMO not thick. It is on the other hand thinner but more tight, focused and clear. Great note seperation but it requires a lot more gain to saturate. The dominion sounds like a better choice.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    elkoki likes this.
  7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've never tried the Illuminators, but my Dominion bridge is one of the thickest, tightest, and angriest pickups around. It's similar in output to a Tone Zone and has a ton of mids as well, but it's a slightly higher mid focus to avoid mud, and the low end is a lot more controlled and articulate. I tune to drop B with that guitar, so it'll have no problem staying defined in standard/drop D

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  8. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I agree.. I had Illuminators in my basswood Schecter for a long time. The bridge is bright with a lot of presence. . I really liked it but I wouldn't call it thick, the neck sounds somewhat like a Liquifire.

9. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestions everybody! I honestly haven't played this guitar in a while. I've been sticking to my 7 and 8, but my buddy wants to start a cover band which is why I want to do some work to the 6. I just want to make it sound thicker and more versatile. The Breed and Dominion suggestions sound good! I'm not as worried about the neck pickup by the way, but I'll most likely pick up a set if I go for the Breed or Dominions.

What about other ways to thicken up the guitar; does a brass block swap on the trem make much difference?

10. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I'm considering putting one in my 1527 atm. Trying to read around a bit and see if they're worth it. Not sure about thickening the tone but they're supposed to increase sustain.

Still not sure though.