DiMarzio Super 2 in the bridge?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 4, 2017.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

So, I have an Epi 1984 Explorer. Right now, being the huge Metallica fan I am, I'm trying to "renovate" it to be closer to an original mid-'80s Gibson Explorer. Chrome hardware, passive pickups, etc. I love the EMGs in it, I just want to fanboy the fuck out of it. :lol:

I was considering getting a proper Gibson 500T/496R set, but from what I've heard, the set can be pretty heavy in the low end. The thing with this guitar is that it's very dark and bassy, so I don't want that. :lol:

I was considering the DiMarzio Super 2. A high-output passive with lots of treble and midrange, and a rolled off low end. Sounds like it would be the ticket to brighten and tighten up the guitar if I go passive.

So, anyone here tried the DiMarzio Super 2 in the bridge? Or am I making a mistake? :lol:

2. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

I have a Super 2 at the bridge in one of my guitars. I think it sounds great but I do have a reputation for preferring bright and really trebley guitar tones. I also don't think it's a pickup that sounds over the top with high end but it's definitely got more than You might be used to. I'd say give it a try, it sounds like it would do the trick for what You are trying to do.

3. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Well I've never had a Super 2 however, earlier this year I came across a dude in a punk band with a Dimarzio as the only pickup in a strat, I asked what it was he said it was a Super 2. Now I must say that it was very brash, in a manner that the eq on his JCM900 didn't totally match. In a known muddy guitar it may sing wonderfully... so worth a shot I guess. I personally would try an Evolution

4. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

No experience with the Super 2 but interested in the topic.
    I have been toying with the idea of putting a very bright pickup with little (or less than normal) low end in one of my guitars.

Both the Super 2 and D Activator neck have crossed my mind but ultimately scare me a little as the highs are just so strong in relation to everything else. I get the feeling that unless I was tuning down, the added highs would be unwelcome.
    I do have a guitar with is ridiculously dull acoustically and currently an Evo is in there which seems to give it enough high end. Actually I'm even considering replacing it with an Evo2 to take away some of the upper mid harshness.

The Steve Morse model crossed my mind as it seems to bridge the gap between the brightness of an Evo and a Super 2. On paper it looks more balanced (yet very bright) but it is designed primarily for the bridge so my assumption would be that the high end is rolled off differently compared to the Super 2.

Just something to think about :)
    Oh yeah, the Steve Morse model was designed in 1983. Can't get much closer to 1984 ;)

5. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

No idea about the Super 2 and I'll be interested to hear your impression when or if you get it and try it. One pickup I can recommend, if you'd like recommendations, is the Seymour Duncan Alternative 8. They say it's like a JB with tighter bass response and not as honky in the mids and I agree up to a point as I think that tight bass response means almost no bass response lol! I had it in a mahogany wing maple neck, neckthrough guitar and the guitar, while it sounded great, tight, dynamic and was cutting through, it had minimal oomph to it. It wasn't an overly bassy guitar so it might be perfect for your application.

wakjob, Zoobiedood and Rawkmann like this.
  6. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

I had an Alternative 8 installed in my LTD Alexi. Very cool pickup, pretty much exactly how You described. Definitely another good option for the sound that OP is going for.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

Honestly I had the Evo in another guitar, and instead of tightening up the guitar, it made it muddier. I eventually changed it to a Bill & Becky Wilde L500XL which was brighter and tighter, and an EMG 81/60 set which also was.

I've heard so many mixed things about the Alt 8 so I was unsure. Some people said it was extremely well with low tunings, while others claim it was either too muddy/wooly and had no top end.

8. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I can see, from my experience, why people would say it would work with lower tunings. Since I didn't down tune that specific guitar, other than Drop D, I can't say if it would become wooly/muddy with no top end but it seems unlikely. The two things I can think of is either there's great variation from pickup to pickup, something I don't think Seymour Duncan would allow, or they did something wrong in the pickup installation. I didn't manage to get the pickup too close to the strings due to the springs on the pickup rings being too tight, so that might had something to do with that.

Truth be told I couldn't find much info on the pickup but had got it for a great price. It wasn't what I was looking for but if I tune any of my guitars to C and below and I'm not satisfied with the results of the pickup in the guitar I wouldn't mind getting one again.

However if the opinions and consensus for the Super 2 is more or less on the same page then go with that as it'd be the safer choice.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

Well this guitar isn't going to be downtuned like... ever. :lol: Lowest it's gonna go is drop C#, but it'll mainly be in half-step down standard.

10. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

No good old Dirty Fingers? (old model)

11. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Man, the 500T is a great bridge pu.
    I don't understand why people take them out.

The 496R on the other hand isn't a very good neck pu, not that you'll be spending much time on it.
    It's ok for clean work, but too fat and indistinct under high gain conditions.

The A8 mag is very cool.
    From my experience, it widens/broadens the entire midrange, and evens things out... for good or bad.
    It may introduce too much low-mids that can "muck-up" tight palm mutes when modded into another pu.
    Might be a different story when the entire pu has been designed around it like the Alternative 8.

No experience with the Super 2, but would be interested in hearing your opinion if you go that route.

Basically... we all want you to be the guinea pig!

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

Have no clue how those sound.

The problem with the 500T is that it seems to be a pickup with a lot of low end. This guitar has a lot of low end and rolled off high end, even with the EMGs on board, so I feel like the 500T would be a bit too boomy for this.

13. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Think about Thin Lizzy Sykes era

14. MetalThrasher

MetalThrasher Thrash & Burn

Interested as well with what you go for. I would recommend a Duncan custom SH5 or a Suhr Doug Aldridge pickup.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

Had the SH-5. Actually added some bottom-end to the guitar I was trying to upgrade. :lol:

Not sure about the Suhr.

16. MetalThrasher

MetalThrasher Thrash & Burn

I forgot that the guitar in question is mahogany. Check out the Shur pickup or why not just put a chrome set of Het's in the guitar?

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

Had the Het Set. Didn't gel with it.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah after thinking about it, I'll give the Super 2 a try. Gonna pair it with a HFH in the neck.

Not sure when though. Maybe when I sell a couple of pedals.

19. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I have experience with a Super 2 in the bridge. put one in the bridge of my Epi Les Paul. I was looking to make the guitar sound brighter, but the results was it was TOO bright. It sounded like someone turned the bass to 1 and cranked the treble to 10. It didn't really have the chug I expected it would have either. I guess you can say it lacked fullness, and made the overall sound thin. It worked much better in the neck. It's a very very treble-y pickup that I think was originally designed to clean up the neck pickup mud from a Les Paul guitar

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

So it's lacking in low end in a bad way? I would assume it feels like your chugging on a single coil or a Tele pickup?