Dimarzio for an Ibanez S5527-TKS

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Glades, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

I just recently acquired a brand new S5527-TKS, and while it is the best playing 7 I have ever laid my hands on, the stock pickups sound terrible. Muddy, no attack, flubby .. yuck.

Can anybody recommend a set that would work for this 7 string slab of mahogany? Something with attack and clarity, but not overly shrilly and sharp for the bridge (i/e Black winters), and something crisp spacey warm leads for the neck.

I want to avoid modding the guitar pickup cavities, if possible at all. That is why I would rather opt for Dimarzios. But I have never owned a guitar with them. My current main is an RGD2127z with EMG 66/57 and I love it to bits. But I am looking to move away from actives.

I am looking for a versatile set that can cover Metal and Fusion alike. A little bit of Archspire and a little bit of Intervals, alike :)

What do you think?

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

nail bombs!
    but dimarzio? umm titans?

Dabo Fett likes this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom .

Blaze Neck+Custom - this is my favorite combo on mahogany Ibanez guitars
    Air Norton7 + D-Sonic - this combo also works pretty well, but I recomend the slug and blade coils inside.

For more tone possibilities, also go for coils splits and that sort of crazyness. Any of these 2 combos deliver pretty well in mahogany Ibbys, for me at least.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've got an Air Norton 7 and a Liquifire 7, both in mahogany guitars. IMO, if you're gonna go Air Norton, just go for the Liquifire instead. They sound similar, but the LF is just... better to my ears, I guess. Hotter maybe? Thicker? I dunno, I just like it better. I've got the CL/LF combo in an S7420 and it's my favorite neck/lead kind of pickup currently at my disposal.

5. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

How does the Blaze neck stack up against the Liquifire in mahogany?
    How does the Blaze custom (bridge) stack up against the D-Activator (bridge) in mahogany?

6. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I love the thick warm tone of liqufires in the neck . sounds great for leads or coil split for clean tones ... they're probably my favorite neck pickup dimarzio has .

For the bridge personally I'd go for one of these : D activator , Illuminator .. but maybe if they're too bright a super distortion ? having tried all those I think the Illuminator is really versatile , but it's probably not as percussive as the d activator but the DA might be a little metallic for leads similar to the black winter. IDK chosing pickups is hard ! sometimes you just gotta experiment

7. odibrom

odibrom .

I can only compare the Blaze neck to Air Norton 7. I find the Blaze neck more ballsier, maybe also because it has more output also. I mainly use these in serial or North coil split (when alone). The Blaze is heavier and barks louder. The AirNorton7, however does have some interesting cristal clearness, a bit too shinny perhaps.

I thought I used to like DAs (both neck and bridge), but I found recently that if the guitar doesn't have the pickup rout deep enough, these pickups will suck the tone out of the strings/guitar, due to the very intense magnetic string pull. They do. In my guitars, as I do not want to re-rout them, I had to take them out, my guitars were just sounding too dark and blurred. When I changed back to the AirNorton/D-Sonic combo, it was like the guitar came back alive... And comparing to the Blaze Neck+Custom combo, they are almost there.

Blaze Custom is a fantastic bridge pickup, with the right mids, lows and treble frequencies, perfectly balanced. Blaze Custom versus DA Bridge, Blaze wins. Has tons of gain so that extra on the DA isn't really needed. Comparing the Blaze Custom to the D-Sonic 7, well, the blaze has more balls, but the D-Sonic cuts better in lower strings mid / upper fret complex chords due to being a brighter pickup.

On the AirNorton7 and D-Sonic7 combo, I've tried them both with the North Coil facing neck and facing bridge. On the first option, this combo never really excited me, but wen I rotated them so the North Coil was facing bridge, they both came to live, deeper sounding and more similar to the Blaze tone I'm so aware of.

More on this thing about pickups. Their distant to the strings is fundamental on getting the best of them for clearness, back them off, pole adjusting is also interesting to play with for better string-to-string balance.

Because I could not back my DAs enough, they lost this game.

8. Dabo Fett

Dabo Fett SS.org Regular

Horsham, PA but straight from Long Island
    I actually have a nailbomb ceramic in mine(technically a 5427, but it's the same guitar just different bridge).

It fit, no modifications needed. I'd assume other BKP's would fit as well in that case

9. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

There's no need to modify the guitar to fit duncans or other square tab pickups.

Firstly I think Ibanez started routing for square tabs some time back before your guitar was made, and secondly you can just clip the tabs to make the pickup fit anyway.

10. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

I ended up ordering a Blaze Custom for the bridge and a Blaze for the neck from banjomikes. Black/Creme bobbins with black poles.

odibrom likes this.
  11. odibrom

odibrom .

How did you get to order a Blaze Custom since they're out of production? I hope you won't regret it... I mean, I love this combo on a RG2027X (mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, same wood specs as an S7...), but you might not... please post back you findings!

12. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

Banjomikez on ebay has a few blaze custom 7s.

odibrom likes this.
  13. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Dimarzio will still make the Blaze Custom for dealers and individual orders :yesway: I think they just took it off the site because it wasn't a popular or widely-selling pickup compared to other mainstays like the Blaze or various Petrucci sets.

I think you'll dig the BC :metal: I have one paired up with a PAF7 in a 7620 and I love it

odibrom likes this.
  14. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

[​IMG][​IMG]

Installed Blaze Custom DP703 in the Bridge and Blaze Neck DP700 in the neck. They sound great. I am not a tone nerd so I couldn't explain to you the tonal characteristics other than they sound really good, and I will not be changing them.

I wired it Neck, Neck Split, Neck+Bridge, Neck inner coil + bridge Inner coil, Bridge. I couldnt figure out how to split Neck+bridge outer coils in position 3 but oh well ....

Btw, the blaze neck split sounds awesome.

Thanks guys for the help.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    odibrom likes this.
  15. odibrom

odibrom .

Glad you like it. I have mine a little differently wired on position 3 and 4 (following your order), so I have
    1. Neck serial
    2. Neck split (north coil, outer coil)
    3. Neck split (south coil, inner coil) + Bridge split (north coil, inner coil) in SERIAL MIX
    4. Bridge split (south coil, outer coil)
    5. Bridge serial
    For positions 2 and 3 , I find that the Single coil mode works better for a bigger tone contrast to the serial wiring than the parallel possibility. As for the inner coils in serial, it's almost like having a middle humbucker. For me this works great and yes, Blaze neck's single coil sounds awesome.

Oh, and pic is not working...

16. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

Let's try this again ...

Attached Files:

17. odibrom

odibrom .

Beautiful!, I'll have one of those one day. I started on Ibanez with an S540 back in the 90s. Loved them, but when I wanted to upgrade to 7s, I grabbed an RG2027X. My 7s are all RGs... I need one of those S5527, I just need... Congrats on an awesome guitar, more so with some incredible pickups. May it please you for long time.

18. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular