Dimarzio Dominion Bridge Pickup

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by McBonez, Oct 23, 2012.

1. McBonez

McBonez Banned

Well, today I finished installing a Dimarzio Dominion into the bridge position of my Charvel So-Cal.

Once the guitar was patched back together and restrung, I fired up my Engl Fireball 100 and took it for a test run.

Starting on the lead channel, my immediate impression was that the hype of this pickup being a "medium output" was not exaggerated. Even at the highest gain settings, this pickup kept my Engl sounding clear and defined, and the increased mids were a definite "plus" through the Fireball.

The medium output does of course bring out a few of the nuances in your own playing. I found myself really needing to dig in to get the articulate pitch harmonics and aggressive sounding leads however, much of this can also be attributed to the medium gain setting I was using on the Fireball. If anything, I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that I was forced to tighten up my own playing.

Keeping my EQ settings the same on my head, I switched over to the clean channel. Keeping the clean gain to a near minimum and increasing my masters, the clean came through very clear - Surprising for a Mark Morton signature pickup!

The increased mid range seemed to give the pickup a bit more "throat" on the clean channel - And while I'm generally accustomed to flipping over to the neck pickup for my cleans, I could definitely see this pickup working one in a 1HUM 1 VOL guitar.

Overall, I found the Dominion to be very balanced between clean and dirty tones. Both came through nice and clear, and the increased mids allows for a nice grit - But be prepared for the subtle nuances of your playing to come through clearer than ever ;)

If you find yourself needing a bit of extra gain, a tubescreamer through the front of your amp should remedy that!

2. Damus

Damus Low B for better =D

I have had this pickup in the bridge of my main guitar for a good year but it was recently replaced by a different pickup.
    The dominion is a good pickup... However its low output and high mids is questionable in a metal context. I feel it is required! to have an over drive pedal and a high gain amp to counter the low output... It sounds good and is quite clean but I have used better pickups, I wouldnt say its the best out there by any strech.

3. McBonez

McBonez Banned

To recap, it is not low output. It is a medium output pickup. Previously, Mark Morton was using the SD 59's.

You seem to be confusing "good pickup" with "high output pickup"

Too mid heavy? Today more and more people are preferring more midrange, especially metal players. Scooping the mids right out is a thing of the past!

As I stated in the review, the medium output will bring out some nuances in your playing but with the right settings it can cover a huge range of tones.

Take Mark Morton himself for example, he generally doesn't use a boost, his Royal Atlantics aren't necessarily "geared for face melting metal", yet the pickup delivers for him.