Dimarzio d activator opinions

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by matt95hm, Jun 7, 2013.

1. matt95hm

matt95hm SS.org Regular

what do you guys think about these pickups?

what are their pros/cons?

recommended styles these pickups can play...

mostly looking at the 7 string version

2. Yimmj

Yimmj Metalhead

I dont have the straight D activator but i have the D-activator X, for it being a Pole pickup, it is bright, but not piercing, and is suprisingly clear even with distorted open chords, good crunchy metal pickup, however you almost can't get cleans on it from how much the pickup pushes the guitar, so you could pair it with something like the liquifire or the PAF neck pickup.

what woods are you using in your guitar? are you replacing pups or are you trying to determine how theyll sound in a guitar youre going to buy? details help the guys on here help you out, especially with the D-Activator, there are PLENTY of opinions on that pup on SS.org

also. welcome :)

EDIT: my guitar has a mahogany body and neck with an ebony fretboard

3. matt95hm

matt95hm SS.org Regular

its an ibanez rg7421 so basswood with maple neck... ive been recommended this pickups from tons of people so i thought i would get all the info on them i can get before making a purchase, but thanks for saying they are tot hot for cleans so i will most likely put the liquifire in the neck b/c i like that way that one sounds... im just torn between the SD distortion, crunch lab and the d activator

4. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Dude, grab the D Activator! I have a set in a Warbird ML and that thing ....ing screams! I USED to be a die hard EMG nut but the D Activator changed all that! They are balanced EXTREMELY well and clean up really nice when you roll the volume back. Its what i call a smart pickup lol. Its like its balanced just right to know when you need the low chug, chunky mids and crisp highs. And like Yimmj said, the X version is a whole different animal. I have one in my Dean Stealth and i prefer my standard D Activator over it. The X has more output/gain and remains articulate but i just dig the tone more in the standard set.:bowdown:

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've got one in a Jackson DKMG and I love it! It's pretty even sounding and retains clarity really well on low tunings and fast playing.

6. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Previously an emg guy as well until I played the D Activators. I absolutely love the D Activator 7. It's really bright and full without being shrill and fatiguing on the ears. No mud and it handles the lows really well. chugs are nice and clear and it has a very balanced sound.

Because I'm so happy with mine, the D8 is actually in the running for what I'm putting in my 8 string build.

7. matt95hm

matt95hm SS.org Regular

thanks guys i'll prob get these then since they clean up well when the volume is rolled back, could you guys help me out and tell me how i would wire these in? i have the rg7421, 5 way switch, 1 volume, 1 tone, im not sure what year it is... um haha, it has the word ibanez on the bridge and it says made in Indonesia on the back of the headstock, i only bring this up because on the new 7421's on the ibanez website they say they have a 3 way switch, anyways it would be helpful i want to wire it all the way down= full bridge, 1 up from that = bridge inner coil, middle = both inner coils, 1 above the middle i want neck outter coil, then all the way up i want full neck, that is if thats even possible, ive never seen a guitar wired that way but it would be awesome if you guys could help me wire it like that tho

8. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

9. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

D-activators are my main bridge pickup right now. To me they sound nice and punchy, articulate, just a nice balance of everything i'm looking for. They didn't blow me away at first, but when i've swapped them for something else, i always come back to the Dactivators.

having good pots seems to help with this too - or at least makes it easier to locate your tone on the pot. When i put in a might mite pot in my SA32EX i instantly found it easier to ride the volume pot.

10. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Love love LOVE the DA7, bright but not shrill, controlled bass, great balance, hot but not too much so.

Love it love it love. Mine was most recently in a hollow zebrano body with maple neck thru.

11. matt95hm

matt95hm SS.org Regular

it has a 5 way ( please excuse my stupidity about this i usually have some one wire things up for me ) i dont know if its what you were talking about, i dont know what a super 5 way is, haha :wallbash:

12. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

A super switch looks like this...
    [​IMG]

And another variation of it is this...
    [​IMG]

If your switch looks like this one...
    [​IMG]
    then it won't be able to do the wiring options you want.

If you have a look inside you'll know fairly quickly which switch you have :)
    All of the above are 5-ways but the first two allow for more complicated wiring.

13. ddk

ddk SS.org Regular

I have D-Activator Neck/Bridge in my RG7421. Very hot and bright pickups to my ears, which has taken some getting used to. Want to lower the pickup height to tame it a bit, but my pickup cavities were routed for the stock pups, which are considerably thinner in size, so the DAs sit right beneath the strings when screwed down tight. Living with this for now but may look into shimming the neck and raising the bridge to compensate. Don't have the courage to rout the pup cavities deeper :(

I have the CL/Liquifire in my UV777, and I wish I had another set of DAs, or at least a DA in the bridge. DA bridge smokes the CL, at least for death metal.

14. Astral Worm

Astral Worm SS.org Regular

My friend has them in his guitar for the neck and bridge! Love them! I also prefer these over any active pickup! The D-activator in the neck position to my ears kinda reminds my a cross between an 81 and a 85 emg. Its not over bassy sounding like an 85 is in the neck position! But I guess it all depends on what wood your guitar has! I need to get on of these in my Jackson! Its a must next week on payday! :hbang:

15. matt95hm

matt95hm SS.org Regular

yeah i have the bottom one :mad: ill have to get one like the top or the middle but the wiring diagram you showed me ( here: http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/2hum1vol1tone_ep1112l.pdf ) that 5 way can you show me a link to one of those? i guess its worth saying ive never wired a guitar before, haha, so this might be a little bit complicated but i WILL figure it out, because i don't want to have to take my guitar to someone every time i want to switch the pickups

16. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

The first switch I showed you is the one in the wiring diagram. Normally it's call a 5-Way super switch or multipole switch. I believe DiMarzio make one.

This web site goes through how they work and how they look in real life & on a wiring diagram. It should answer any questions you may have :)
    http://diy-fever.com/misc/guitar-wiring-101/#super_switch

17. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

Not to be a downer but I have a feeling that you might not get as much from all the split options out of a pickup like that. I could be wrong, but before you go crazy finding switches and wiring diagrams it's worth considering that not everything reacts all that well to splitting.

18. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

The D Activator splits very nicely.
    And it's not exactly going crazy. It's one switch and the wiring diagram has already been found.

19. matt95hm

matt95hm SS.org Regular

i guess what i'm asking is i don't see how the diagram matches up with the actual picture, i would be helpful if i could find one picture where its labeled on the diagram and the actual picture, like match A to A, B to B, and so on and so forth, and i know A and B aren't used in wiring, but use them as variables so i can visually see how they match up, if you understand what i'm saying, i hope you do haha

EDIT: i found what i was looking for, finally :)

20. Kendalllikevines

Kendalllikevines SS.org Regular

I had d activators in my RGD2120z. I highly recommend them. Easily my favorite pickups. I'm actually about to pull the crunch lab out of my jp6 and put a d activator in.