Dimarzio D-activator 7

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Darkstar124, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Darkstar124

Darkstar124 Strongman

I picked this thing up from musiciansfriend a few months ago. Its sitting in the bridge of my Ibanez RG7420 right now. Thats a basswood body, maple neck, and rosewood fretboard. I've played it through a few amps now, and I am pleased. It sounds miles better than the stock V78, which I got a chance to compare it to recently when a kid with a stock RG7321 joined my band lol. We play in dropped G.

INSTILLATION
    I've installed four-conductor pickups plenty of times, and rigging this one up to the 5 way for coil-tapping was no biggie. However, having to gouge out part of the pickup cavity to make room for the wire was a pain the ass.:noplease:
    the stock ibby pickup was significantly shorter than the D-activator, so I had to dremel out a little trench for the wire to sit in, less the pickup bump the strings real good. I also didn't like the fact that the little bracket was made of plastic, something I guess is standard on newer dimarzio pickups.

SOUND
    This is where this thing shines. Lots of attack, and really nice tight bass response with clear highs and mids. I say clear because neither of them is really predominant or shining, but very clear. Tight is a good word. Its not too high output of a pickup, but it definitely brings the pain when you push it. This thing handles our low G with grace. Tight, aggressive and punchy without washing out at all. It doesn't get too gnarsty when you really crank the gain, and still retains character.

LOOK
    Not much to say. I suppose its worth mentioning that the shiny polepeices look better than the matte black ones that came with the stock pickup. nothing special, but nothing to complain about. I do wish Dimarzio/Musician'sfriend would sell 7 string pickups in their wacky colors more often.

VALUE
    Dude, for 70 bucks I cannot complain one bit. Great stuff.

OVERALL

YEAAAHA BOIIII
    :sharpie:

2. Ripper1134

Ripper1134 Яippin' since 1888

its well worth it. its awesome

3. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Got one in my Ibby S7420. I love it.

4. hubub454

hubub454 SS.org Regular

Got one in my Ibanez RG7321, took it from a muddy, dilapidated sound to a bright powerful sound, I can hear my pinch harmonics now, and every note that i play comes out, you can hear each time the pick strikes the string instead of just a wall of noise, especially when tremolo picking. Got it in yellow on my all black Ibanez, looks sexy. I highly recommend this.

5. fireheart82

fireheart82 In Flames i was Born

I got it also in a Ibanez and its sounded tight and wonderful for Djent. Powerful and bright. But not to bright like Evolutions. Keeps the Sustain of the tones.. 1+

6. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I agree, great for bringing basswood alive. Perfect output and flat even eq. Like an 18v EMG, but with a soul.

7. ang3

ang3 SS.org Regular

will this fit in an rg827z without routing?

8. Iron Beard

Iron Beard SS.org Regular

hows the mids? are they cut, boosted, or just there?

9. Darkstar124

Darkstar124 Strongman

The mids are a bit boosted, but not straight-to-vildhjarta 0-60 boosted. the low mids are reasonable and the highmids are boosted just in the right place to bring some life to basswood. And yes it should fit your RG827z.

10. foxbody351

foxbody351 SS.org Regular

Are they better than the EMG 707(x) and the EMTY blackouts? I was thinking of getting either 707 or EMTY for my rg7321 until a friend of mine told me to review d activators before I make a move. He said, "if Tosin Abasi uses it on his 8-string, you can't go wrong on your 7-string" lol. But are they better than active pickups?

11. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Yes, better than actives in a few ways. I play a basswood m207 tuned GCGFAD, and everything is tight and clear. If its my GSP or tube head I can expect the same attack. IF you look at the specs on the website for the pickup, everything is even across the board. 5-5-5 for bass/mid/treble. That and the output are the trick in making a pickup that acts like an active.