Dimarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire coil tap/grounding help

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by npdurds, Apr 24, 2015.

1. npdurds

npdurds SS.org Regular

I'm getting ready to install the Crunch Lab and Liquifire combo into my Schecter Hellraiser C7. Problem is, I've found conflicting (or so it looks) wiring diagrams. I'm not sure if I'm confused or overwhelmed at this point. Feels like I'm in over my head, but I'm not giving up! I'm assuming the Dimarzio wiring diagram is the best to go with. However, I'm not sure it makes total sense to me. Can anyone clear this up? What is the purpose of the red and green wires being soldered together on the Dimarzio diagram (left) but not on the other diagram? Is this a phase issue, or a which-coil-will-be-active-when-tapped issue? Also, is it best to run ALL grounds to the bridge ground, the tone pot, or the input jack? And should I be prepared to install a ground screw into the body cavity? Grounding confuses me.

Attached Files:

2. saminator

saminator Do you even praise, bro?

As long as ground is SOMEHOW connected to the input ground, it's fine. As far as the red and green wires being soldered together (and connected to the push-pull pots), that is what's responsible for the coil tapping/splitting.

EDIT: After looking at a picture of a Hellraiser 7 :)rolleyes:), it looks like you've got a 5-way switch. Attaching red/green to contacts 2 and 4 on the switch will split the pickups.

Does that make sense...?

3. npdurds

npdurds SS.org Regular

I think it would make sense if I had a 5-way switch, but I'm using the original 3-way that came with the guitar. The original specs are volume (push-pull)/volume (push-pull)/tone/3-way switch, so I decided to stay with that.

I'm not clear on why the red/green combo is combined to the switch and black is grounded in Dimarzio's diagram, but in the other diagram, the black/white are combined and the green is grounded on the neck pickup. And on the other diagram, it looks as though there is a jumper on the red on the neck volume pot. I think I understand everything else besides the difference in the neck pup wiring.

4. saminator

saminator Do you even praise, bro?

So you can either solder red/green together or black/white together and it'll make no difference. Personally, I've always soldered black/white together and connected them to the pots, red is hot and green is ground. Again, it makes no difference what you choose, but that makes the most sense in my head.

Let me see if I can find you a better diagram for what you're doing...

5. npdurds

npdurds SS.org Regular

So... if I solder the black/white together, that would tap to the north coil, right? And if I solder the red/green together, that would tap to the south coil? I'm wanting it to tap to the inner coil... and if that's the case I think the Dimarzio diagram is doing that, right?