Dimarzio Air Norton S

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by feilong29, Feb 9, 2012.

1. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Hi guys!

I've had an Air Norton S in an old Caparison Dellinger, but, it seems now that, I probably installed it improperly. The reason I say that is because I now have a Hamer Californian with it installed in the neck, and it sounds TOTALLY different than the one I had a year ago. SO, with that, I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with it before, but I'm blown away now that I have it installed the right way, so, onto the review.

Installation: Well, I guess I should have called tech support, because, not all diagrams match your guitar configuration, even if it's coded properly in the instructions, but, installation is easy; it's two wires, and it sounds silly but, it's hit or miss if you don't have the right diagram. Save yourself the trouble and call tech support if you aren't sure, and get the wires on the right pots the first time!

Look: Well, the one I had previously was black, which is fine, haha, but the one I have now is yellow, and it's in a black-bodied guitar. This is coupled with my Dimarzio Super 3 (which is a good combo btw), but yellow is definitely catchy. I can't say that color affects tone lol.

Sound: Well, if you are a passive pickup person, this is definitely a single-coil humbucker that you should try. I'm very fond of Ibanez, and it would see that Dimarzios were made for them, BUT, after playing with one in my Hamer, it sounds the same, in a good way. If you watch a lot of Paul Gilbert videos, you will hear a very distinct tone produced by Dimarzio pickups... that glassy, sterile tone, but the thing is, and what I like the most about them is this: You can really, REALLY hear your pick attack thru the pickup, and it sounds killer!

I can't say that I get that sweet, buttery tone out of it, but, that is probably due to my Boss ME-70 pedal. I'm sure that with some modifications, I could dial in that Petrucci and Rob Marcello tone for leads.

Reliability: Well, with a good solder connection, and granted you take care of your stuff, this is a very reliable pickup. I never had problems in the past, and I don't foresee any problems in the future.

Suitable alternatives: Well, I was dead set on getting a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails (another awesome pickup), but, I'm so pleased with the Air Norton S... I believe that each pickup has it's place, and each is suited for a certain type of sound or music. I also believe that the guitar it's in makes a difference, and I'm sure the Hot Rails would've sound just as awesome in my Hamer Californian.

Would I buy again: HELL YA! When I get my Caparison Horus in June, it's getting an Air Norton S upgrade!

Well, this is my first review, so, I hope it atleast gives you a little insight on this awesome pickup. I can makes vids of it's tone if requested. If you want that Paul Gilbert pick attack type tone, and some searing hot leads, definitely go with this pickup. For more mellow, but hot leads, go for the SD Hot Rails. THANKS!

2. Speedy Pete

Speedy Pete SS.org Regular

Hey im new to this website lol i have a black 1990 Hamer Californian and its AMAZING!!...the only problem is that i bought a black dimarzio air norton s for the neck pickup, and my uncle "tried" installing it and it doesnt sound...and hetaped the wires to where he thought it wouldve been the correct places.
    if its no prob can you post a picture of the wiring on your hamer so I can install it correctly? Also so i can follow along on where its supposed to go lol thanks!:shred:

3. Speedy Pete

Speedy Pete SS.org Regular

Hey im new to this website lol i have a black 1990 Hamer Californian and its AMAZING!!...the only problem is that i bought a black dimarzio air norton s for the neck pickup, and my uncle "tried" installing it and it doesnt sound...and hetaped the wires to where he thought it wouldve been the correct places.
    if its no prob can you post a picture of the wiring on your hamer so I can install it correctly? Also so i can follow along on where its supposed to go lol thanks!:shred: