Digital vs Physical console games

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Ralyks, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Let me preface this by saying I'm a PS4 player, if other threads didn't make that apparent (although I may look into an Xbox One as I build a 4K entertainment center in the new year). For a long time, I've been more inclined to purchase physical games, I guess due to packaging and the ability to trade games in. I wasn't also under the impression that physical media takes up less hard disc storage, but I'll get to that.

But lately, I've found myself purchasing way more games digitally. Most of this is due to sales in the PSN store, but its also nice to have everything in on each spot, and less space taken up (which helps with a 16 month old child roaming the house). But I think a good arguement oven found for mostly going digital going forward came to me while listening to Giant Bombcast earlier, and well, it seem a these days that the entire disc goes onto the hard drive, and the disc is just there to be like keys to a car.

Another thing, while it's not quite as easy to expand HDD space for PS4, I hear storage space is a bit easier to manage know Xbox One.

So yeah, do you prefer digital for your console games, or is it like music where there's just an appeal to having that's record or CD and all of its (sometimes) glorious packaging?

2. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

You gotta have that hard copy library! It's nice to have a little display of the fruits of your labour. I still buy cds, will never buy digital only!

3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I have come around to digital. I love not having to swap discs. Storage is an issue though

On stock PS4 you are rellly limited how many games you can have at once.

4. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I agree I have some HC still, but most of mine are downloads. I will have to upgrade my HD at some point.

5. Keel

Keel SS.org Regular

The new consoles are crap man... comes with a 500gb hard drive but requires you to download every game you play onto it? with each game being 30-50 gigs that means that you can only have about 8-10 of your games ready to play. And thats if you don't have any dlc or apps or anything. My brothers got a stack of games, but can only actually play 5 of them. The rest he has to re download to his system (after deleting other games of course). That being said, hard copies are awesome because then you don't have to re-download the game from the inter webs, you can just get it from your disk.

6. Ralyks

Yeah, the upgrade to 2TB is as pretty much necessary. I actually most feel inclined to get an even bigger drive it the PS4 or PS4 Pro can take it.

7. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

I dont even have a CD drive on my PC. No use really because Steam exists.

8. cwhitey2

I do not believe you can go over 2tb with a ps4 (it might be 4tb but I cannot remember) as there are some speed issues with the HDs after the size.

9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Playing on Xbox One with easily expandable memory, I would download most of my games if not for the fact that my internet is terrible. The other downside is that most of the time it seems buying the game from the Xbox Store is more expensive than buying a physical copy. In fact, I can go into stores or webstores and I'll see the physical copy sitting beside the digital code and the physical copy will always be cheaper. Those are my only two hangups for digital games on Xbox at the moment. The huge upside to downloaded games on Xbox One in my opinion is just being able to shout out the next game you want to play to Kinect and it loads straight away.

I plan to get a PS4 eventually for Death Stranding and a couple other games, but don't imagine I'll bother with downloading the games and having to deal with upgrading the HDD. Between The Last Guardian, Death Stranding and little else, I won't feel too inconvenienced be changing discs.

On Switch, it's looking like a relatively small internal memory, so I'd be swayed to a big Micro SD and download all my games. Bonus here being I can take my Switch to faster internet much easier than I can bring my Xbox. The counter to this on the Switch is that Nintendo's made a lot of very good limited and special edition versions of games lately that convince me to buy physical compies, from art books and soundtracks to figurines and other tat.

On PC, Steam. I honestly don't know where I'd go to buy physical PC games anymore.

Your last point about CDs is interesting to me. Most of the time with CDs, the physical bonus is the liner notes and album art, and for a while it was playing it in my car. My car no longer has a CD player, so at this stage I'd almost prefer to have vinyl with a free download, for maximum physical content and iPod/computer compatibility. But most of the time I just get CDs of Amazon with Auto Rip and have a lot of unused CDs and well read liner notes.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I entirely understand what you mean - but it's a strange sentiment for me, having worked on some games. I keep physical copies of games that I've worked on (in the odd case that there are physical copies at all), so keeping physical copies for that reason (for me) would feel like displaying the fruits of someone elses labour. :lol:

11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It's something of which I can see both sides. A console costs more to produce than it does to purchase, in many cases, because corporations count on selling more games to make up for the gap; however, this can be mitigated by cheapening the disk in the system, forcing users to pay a premium for a new disk, to recoup some costs, and also driving down production cost of the console.

Honestly, though, I'd rather play a super fun game with ....ty graphics than a boring game with excellent graphics, so I'd rather have a large library of game discs to keep handy than to have the disc merely as a passkey to a huge downloadable game that takes up ~30% of my console's hard disk.

12. cwhitey2

Biggest plus for downloads is being able to take just my ps4 and controller to a friends house.

I really am all for downloads, but HDs need to be bigger

13. Ralyks

Does the "bigger than 2 TB makes PS4s run weird" apply to Pros?

14. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Black Ops fan, always DL those...I don't like being stuck with discs, they take up too much room here, but if it's something I don't know if I'll like/replay, I'll grab the disc just so I can sell/trade it in later on.

Buddy of mine and I bought Bloodborne the same time; I bought the hard copy and he did a DL and he HATED it. He was pissed he was stuck with it lol.

15. Pav

Pav ???

You can swap out the drive in any PS4 just like you could with the PS3. It's a standard Playstation feature anymore. If you still have the manual that came with your console, it should explain how to do it.

I'm still a fan of physical discs on consoles myself. Having a tangible library of accumulated games feels like the gamer's version of having a massive music collection on vinyl or CDs. It may not be as practical or convenient as digital downloads these days, but there's a certain satisfaction of having a collection to display that downloads don't tickle. Plus hard copies come with the bonus of being able to trade them in if you ever decide you don't want/need a particular game anymore, whereas you're stuck with a digital copy once any returnable grace period ends.

That only applies to consoles though. Hard copies on disc are a thing of the past when it comes to PC gaming.

16. Ralyks

The swapping of the drives I know is pretty easy (if not time consuming), I was just wondering if taking my HDD in my PS4 and putting it into a PS4 pro is that easy or will there be a bunch of reformatting and reinstalling drivers and such that needs to be done. Basically, will this be a quick 5 minute process or do I need to set aside half a day again (in which case, just switch over the the PS3 or go for a long walk while everything read downloads just doing it overnight).

As for the physical copies being the video game equivalent to vinyl, yeah, that was my thought :lol: I was leaning towards maybe just doing physical copies for games that come out on a yearly basis like Madden or WWE, but I think I'll probably stick with "Whatevers cheaper" unless its something I must have the physical copy of (right now, any Final Fantasy seems to fall under that at least)

17. Pav

Pav ???

That's a good question, I have no idea about that in particular. I really can't see there being much to change going from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro. Maybe some driver changes here and there, but I really doubt you'd have to wipe the drive and let it reformat and redownload from square one. I plan to upgrade to a PS4 Pro in the near future and would be doing the same thing since I still have PT on my PS4 and don't want to lose it. If you try swapping the drive over directly, let me know how it goes. :lol:

18. Ralyks

I think something that may be a game changer in all of this is that the next PS4 update is FINALLY allowing for use of external storage. About damn time. Up to 8 TB no less.

EDIT: Good timing too, I just found out my 2 TB HDD is about full from a GTA V update.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  19. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Yep - this is a thing I've discovered since becoming a born-again PC gamer.

I've always been fond of hard copies (still am for CDs and movies), but my flat is absolutely FULL of stuff. So I'm not going to cry about it.. :)