Did you finally get the gear/rig you always wanted? Lets see it. Acquired dream gear.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by purpledc, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I don't feel like taking pics, but ever since I started playing I wanted a 90s MIJ Ibanez, as when I was starting out in the early 2000s, they were mythical status on forums I used to frequent. Fast forward to 2015 and I saw a 98 RG7620 with a Lo Pro Edge posted on Kijiji for $400. Bought it same day it was posted, and love it. Goal achieved

Malevolent_Croatian likes this.
  2. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Dual 6x12's will always be a dream of mine

metaljohn likes this.
  3. Mikeitloud

Mikeitloud SS.org Regular

YUP!!!
    [​IMG]

Dineley likes this.
  4. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

Well I always wanted an Ibanez Prestige 8 string and I got one. Always wanted a higher end amp modeller and now I have a Line 6 Helix. Also have an Ibanez AT-10P and a PRS SE Mark Holcomb Signature. I'm pretty close to having my dream rig. I suppose some FRFR would be nice. I have Yamaha HS7s right now. I plan on eventually getting a Boden OS8 which is my new (realistic) dream guitar

5. Caleb Joshua

Caleb Joshua SS.org Regular

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    PBGas, cardinal, technomancer and 3 others like this.
  6. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

I had incurable GAS for an ENGL Invader 150 as a teenager in Australia, but with the way our gear pricing was, and the head alone being $5k, I thought it would always stay that way. I worked as many hours as I could get at my shitty highschool job and finally bought one, and I got a great two years out of it before I had to sell it to move internationally, and to this day, that's the sale that hurt the most. I absolutely adore that amp.

After the move I tried for a few years to find another one, but all I found was 100's or prices that weren't realistic, and with the Canadian exchange rate being as weak as it is, buying cross border wasn't an option either. Nevertheless, I finally managed to track one down semi locally and I'm never letting it go. I've been through a pretty decent amount of amps, the Invader 150 is just my sound.

About a year after that, the guy I bought the Invader from hit me up asking if I'd be interested in his Fryette Sig X. It wasn't the Pittbull UL I'd been chasing, but I figured I'd try it out anyway, and here we are. These two paired together is the sound I've always wanted for modern metal guitar playing.

Attached Files:

cardinal likes this.
  7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

8. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I'm super envious of those Limited Edition JP2C heads just look so awesome with the oxblood stained wood.

PBGas likes this.
  9. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

On bass I have been pretty much using the same configuration for br00t since 2008. I've tried various upgrade ideas (including other awesome heads/cabs) but this has been it for me. Basically I wanted to have headroom for loud situations and a rig with a lot of stage presence. This is how it looks from the perspective of being 1" tall.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    cardinal, Gravy Train and Dineley like this.
  10. Alonious_Monk

Alonious_Monk Permanently Tired.

Mine isn't 7-String, shred-worthy nor particularly pricey.

But when these originally came out I was younger and without a job, meaning no funds to acquire such an axe but desparately wanted one as they looked so nice and were so affordable...over the years they'd pop up every now and then, and either sold quick or I just wasn't in the position at the time (financially) to buy it at that time.

But a while back, thanks to an overpayment, and then rebate, on a student loan I had the monies to buy the Yamaha Pacifica 302S T-Style I wanted since my early 20's (I'm now 37, so a long wait indeed).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dineley likes this.
  11. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Obtaining your "dream gear" is kinda like meeting your hero/idol... it's usually a let down in some subtle way.

I think we hype ourselves up too much, then the reality is that it doesn't make you play or sound much better.

12. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Lord Green Fingers Contributor

[​IMG]

I just got this UV7SBK yesterday and it's everything I was looking for in an older Universe. I did try buying this exact guitar a few years back but it had sold before I could get my hands on it.

[​IMG]
    This was the ultimate dream for me. I always wanted a USA Soloist. I could never afford one and when I did have the money, there weren't any available. Finally everything came together and I got the perfect example of why I love Jacksons. It's my baby and look to keep this for a very long time, maybe even pass it on to my daughter if she takes up guitar in the future.

13. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

14. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

They don't make you play better, no, but with better tone, it's far more rewarding when you do learn guitar because the actual sound is that much better. If you say the same player will sound the same tonewise on a Line 6 Spider and an Engl Savage, well I don't know what else to tell you.

15. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Kind of...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oracles and Dineley like this.
  16. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Well, that's quite the disparity.

I was thinking of my own situation of owning common or "stock" amps like the dozen or so Marshall amps I've been through, then finally getting a Friedman and going "meh", I liked my Marshall more.

Yeah, a dog is a dog. But even entry level gear is miles above what we had to start with years ago.

17. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

That's just a matter of personal preference though. An amp can be 5,000 USD or 10,000 USD, doesn't necessarily mean everyone will like it. You liked your Marshall more, that's understandable. They're really good amps (excluding the MG). But when you go from entry level amps that sound thin and like a can of bees and step into something like a 6505, there should be a readily apparent difference. If you can't tell what that difference is, you're tone deaf. There's a much bigger difference in going from entry level to a good amp, than there is from going to a good amp to another good amp.