Did you finally get the gear/rig you always wanted? Lets see it. Acquired dream gear.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by purpledc, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Most will know my Carillions from my recent NGDs. I've owned some amazing guitars over the years but these just tick every box for me. It took a long time to figure out the specs I really like in an instrument and I even went to the workshop beforehand to pick out woods, design my neck profile, forearm contour, toggle/knob placement. The custom pickups are a very personal touch too. Acquiring them was simply working very hard and saving.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

downburst82 and narad like this.
  2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

For me, it was a journey of milestones. I guess I'll know when my journey is over when my heart stops beating.

My first major acquisition was my first seven string. I always wanted the UV77MC, but, going to school dual enrolled and working only summers and weekends meant that it was simply out of any budget I could conceive. Enter the RG7620, Ibanez's very first affordable seven string. At $1000, not really cheap, but at least it was something I could purchase after squirreling away enough change.

Next up was my Dual Recto. Probably not a big deal for any of you guys, but, man, in the 1990's that was the tone everyone wanted, and it was another super pricey purchase for a student, but by then, I was done with high school. I saved and saved and then when I had enough money, finally, the local music shop was out of stock. I drove about an hour and a half one way to get to a store that had one. I tried it out to make sure it sounded like the one at my local shop I had drooled over for months, and, much to my amazement, this far-away shop not only had my amp, but it had a sound-insulated room to crank it up.

Once I had that Dual Recto, I was done borrowing other people's amps for gigs, and I was done with my little 112 Fender.

My next kick was that I wanted a BC Rich Mockingbird. And I wanted it fully customized. One thing I didn't think about was the weight of a full-on hard maple MB7. Hefty.

My last big one was my Oni Carbon Fiber 8 String. I've been saying for ten years now that it'd be my last guitar ever. It's super light and the quality of the build is unimpeachable. It has every feature that I want (built-in guitar synth, piezo, multiscale, partial microtonal frets, super hot pickup, SS frets, hermetically sealed fretboard, and, to boot, it's possibly the lightest solidbody electric guitar ever made - still haven't called Guinness, though). But, then last year around this time I bought an Agile to go 19-EDO with. I already had a 19-EDO guitar, but it was a six string, and I needed a seven. I still use the Oni 8 exclusively for "normal" applications, but I've been spending a lot of time with the 19-EDO tuning lately.

[​IMG]

https://s28.postimg.org/3wi77p625/19_7.jpg[img]
    (EDIT: I guess the img tags aren't working?)

I'm still using the Dual Recto for everything, though. Even though I have other amps, that one is my main amp, and I feel like it's an integral part of my sound. It's been through 20 years, maybe close to a thousand gigs, had at least six beers spilled on it, been dropped at least once off the back of a van, and been molested by countless drunk people, yet it still works just the same as it did the day I bought it. :)

3. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

Definitely more of a milestone process for me. Own a bunch of cool guitars, a mark V (and a 5150III til I sell it), some pedals, good cabs and a Kemper. Not even sure what I'd need/want now.

4. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

For the longest time I kind of sighed every time I'd read about someone getting either a Kemper or Axe-Fx (or even a Helix these days) and just kind of wish I would someday get one. That being said, since I don't play in a band or do any kind of serious recording, It'd literally be a waste of money to get one considering how much use I'd get out of it.
    As it is now, I have a GSP1101, Pod X3 as well as a decent USB interface that I can use with an infinite amount of amp sims, so suffice it to say I'm pretty much set in that department.

Now that I think of it though, I did actually get a "dream" piece of gear a couple of years ago when I came across a nice burgundy red Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe on Reverb for an 'you'd have to be insane to pass it up' price. Since it was close to x-mas, my wife said "go ahead & get it" and it's probably one of the few pieces of gear that I own that I'll never sell.

5. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I was dreaming on a budget when I gradually assembled this rig but have no complaints. I was looking for a straightforward creative tool that could also be used for good quality recordings. 6550's in the Rec caused amp GAS to flatline. V12's loaded in Emperor ended cabinet/speaker search.

For some reason (maybe being 90's kid) Recto and MB had some mystique for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Dineley likes this.
  6. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

Dude, don't let the idea of something being a waste have you avoiding what could be the best piece of gear you ever buy. I was right where you are at. Seeing people one right after another say they got it or an Axe Fx. And I would go, "man if only". Well my if only came. Its funny you talk about a waste. Because right before I got my kemper I had bought a knife I wanted really bad. The thing was $1850. And I couldn't carry it or use it or it would lose value. So THAT to me was a waste. An item that could only be looked at and not even be used as the tool it was.

I don't gig, I don't play in a band and I don't ever record anything. Not because I don't want to but just because its one more thing for me to have to learn and I'm just not there yet. I actually have the power rack sitting on top of a mesa oversized recto cab. Wanna know how I use it most days? A set of monster headphones plugged in to the front and I have my laptop hooked up to rig manager. Now I bet there is going to be at least one gigging musician lugging around a super heavy rig that will read this and feel the kemper is wasted on me. But its not what we DONT do with something that defines its worth. Its what we actually do with it. And I use it everyday for hours. And I'm smiling the whole time. And I am enjoying playing like I have never before. These units can do it all but just like a Lamborghini they are not a waste if you don't take them to their limit every time. Its just that you enjoy it more when you do.
    I'm not trying to push you into anything. But it was either this or an axe fx for me too. And I convinced myself that a lesser amp was "good enough" and I dealt with it for a few years. And it was the least I ever played guitar in most of my life. Now with the kemper I make time to sit down and play. That to me was one hell of an investment. A piece of gear that actually makes me want to practice. Just a thought. Oh, I have a bunch of amp sims on my Ipad. I still feel an axefx or kemper is worth it.

Spinedriver likes this.
  7. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with getting top shelf gear. It's just that when the garage needs a new roof, house needs new doors, the basement leaks water when it rains hard, etc... spending $2-$3 grand on an amp/processor just for messing around on my own would NOT go over well with the missus. ; ) If everything was in tip-top shape & we had a good chunk of cash saved up, I'd probably get a Kemper eventually but as it stands, in all honesty, even if I did get one, I'd probably have it dialed in to sound just like what I have now. lol

At the same time though, when I was playing in a band & doing shows, she was totally on board with me getting a decent gear, so if I were still playing there's a pretty good chance I'd end up getting one sooner than later. I personally don't really feel like I really need one because there are times I'll go a full week without even touching a guitar or bass. Think of it as getting a Bugatti Veyron and only driving it 5 blocks a day. If you have money to burn, it's not a problem but when it comes to 'not-so-expendable' income, you tend to do a bit more homework and get what you're looking for within your budget.

8. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I remember taking my import B.C. Rich Platinum bolt-on guitar to California back in 1996 as a real USA neck through B.C. Rich was out of my budget at the time. My parents were visiting some of their college friends near Petaluma. I knew the Mesa factory was there, so convinced my parents to stop there. Even as a broke 17 year old, the people at Mesa treated me like gold. They did not have finished amps on hand, just still in production ones. So they made a call to a local shop and asked them to set up a Triaxis/2:Ninety rig for me. That was a very memorable day.

I have a couple of small amp heads and several guitars at this point, but the dream rig I had in my head back then, and my favorite setup now, is a Mesa/Boogie Triaxis 2.0 (with the fat Recto board), a Simul 2:Ninety power amp, a TC Electronic G-major effects unit, and my USA B.C. Rich Warlock NT.

[​IMG]

Yes, that is a pet rattie jumping into my guitar case.

[​IMG]

After a friend convinced me to get a seven string as well, it took me two years to find one that I really liked. So my Ibanez RGD was a nice addition to the setup too!

[​IMG]

Now I am in the final stages of planning out my pedal board to build around my MIDImate controller for the front end of the Mesa rack.

[​IMG]

9. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I don't really know if what I have is what I always wanted, I only know that I'm extremely happy with it. What I have:

Epiphone Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
    LTD BK-600
    Ibanez Art100 with DiMarzio Evolution
    Peavey 6505+
    Avatar 2x12 with Swamp Thang/Governor

Zoobiedood likes this.
  10. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

As the story goes, for the most part, I've only ever been able to afford gear like I have now (with the exception of the Art100) at tax time. Being the only one working in the household and not making near as much as people who can somehow have several NGD's at 3K apiece within months of each other, I've sort of had to settle, but at the same time the sounds I've gotten out of my gear are just monstrous and I think that ampwise, I'm pretty much done there. Maybe a Mesa Dual Rec on down the road or perhaps if I ever saved enough money for an Orange. My main focus from here on out is pretty much guitars.

11. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I started playing as a poor teenager back in the nineties. Guitar magazines had ads for the Parker Fly and that was the peak of unattainable for me. Where I lived out in the middle of nowhere, driving two hours to the nearest (not very large) music store, I never even got to see one in person.

Went away to school and didn't play much guitar for years while I got an engineering degree and started working. Eventually reached a point where I had some free time to play again, had paid off my student loans, and realized that I had some disposable income. Decided I could splurge and get a Parker.

Bought a brand new Parker NiteFly M. It was absolutely not a disappointment. I had really never played a guitar that felt anything like it. It was so easy it was like it played itself. The trem on it actually stayed in tune no matter what I did (a huge change for me compared to the cheap guitars I'd been used to) and it's not even a locking trem.

Still, it was a NiteFly, not a real Fly. Plus, I was (am) into really heavy stuff and downtuning. I really didn't want to touch the nut on my NiteFly or otherwise mess with it to get it set up for thicker strings and lower tunings. From what I'd been reading, regular Flys weren't necessarily any better in that regard.

But... in my research, I'd come across descriptions of the Parker Stealth Fly. Parker made it briefly in '99-'00 as their "metal" guitar. Hard tail, all basswood, jumbo frets, designed for drop tunings. But supposedly, they only made fewer than a hundred total and they were super rare. I assumed, also, super expensive.

Nevertheless, I set up some ebay alerts. About a year later, one popped up and I bid and got it. For less than I'd paid for the NiteFly even.

I had pretty much a repeat of the experience going from cheap guitars to the NiteFly when I went from the NiteFly to the Stealth Fly. After the NiteFly, I really didn't even think that a guitar *could* play better. But the Stealth managed it. It's also the lightest guitar I've ever even picked up (somewhere around 4.5 pounds) and I can still stare at the finish for hours (it looks sort of speckled grey in pictures, but also has an iridescent thing going on in person). Plus, it really handles downtuning like a champ. I eventually settled on D standard for it, but it could do B standard just fine.

I've accumulated other Parkers and other great guitars since then as well, but the Stealth is still special to me.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

Even though I have my kemper and boogie f30 I still daydream about owning a Mark V or a Triple Rectifier. Something about the boogie snarl just pairs so well with all of my gear and I guess at this point it's my favorite sound to come out of an amp besides the sound of a JVM410.
    I'm pretty well stocked on guitars at this point. It's taken a lot of $ and experimenting to figure out exactly what I want out of an 8 string but these 2 are pretty much the epitome of what I wanted:
    [​IMG]
    Something about this guitar (I think it's the koa body/neck) just makes me love the lithium pickups. I hated them in my dc600 and tolerated them in my other 8 string (though they were too bright in both). The pickups are still clear but not annoyingly bright like in the other guitars and it just has this wonderful thick snarly sound through my boogie. Easily the best headless guitar I've played so far (sounds better than my other vaders and the strandbergs I owned).
    [​IMG]
    I was chasing the idea of a multiscale explorer for a while and this one pretty much checks all the boxes for me. The sfty3 pups are a bit too bright in this guitar right now, though I'm going to switch the value on the tone capacitor to take a bit of the high end off. It has this super snappy biting tone that you wouldn't expect from an explorer, and it just works so well through the contour channel on my boogie.
    out of all of my 6 strings, this is the one I pick up constantly:
    [​IMG]
    The nuclear winter bridge is perfect, though I hate the neck pickup and am currently changing that out to an elysian hot vintage. It plays like a dream, and I love to look at it, plus it sounds so damn mean. there's some magic voodoo shit when a black winter goes into a darker sounding amp like a boogie, where it just becomes even more savage sounding imo.
    I like all of my other guitars a lot too but they don't have the mojo that these 3 do.

13. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Always wanted an Axe FX based rig, the release of the AX8 finally made it a reality. Finally I was also able to purchase all units brand new.

RG852 Prestige>AX8>Mesa 2:50>Fryette FB-P50E 412.

mnemonic likes this.
  14. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

This is pretty close to it. I'd prefer something more of a true Strat if possible, but the Charvel 7 is pretty rad.

[​IMG]
    Les Paul Standard 7
    Spector NS5
    Charvel SoCal 7

'83(?) Marshall 2204 and '82(?) 4x12
    '89 Ampeg SVT-II and a Heritage 8x10

And my main backups
    [​IMG]
    LP Classic 7
    Spector NS5CR
    Partscaster

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    cGoEcYk and HeHasTheJazzHands like this.
  15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Duuuude. That Spector. Is that a '90s Euro or something?

16. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Thanks! The natural finish (with the quilted wings) is a '90s American NS5. The black one is '90s Czech NS5CR (they eventually renamed them the Euro series).

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Oh yeah, meant the black one. Reminds me of a '80s Kramer Spector NS-2, with the black and gold look going on.

18. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Yeah, love it. It had dot inlay but I had those pulled and replaced with matching rosewood for the blank-board look.

19. getowned7474

getowned7474 Neck_Pro Contributor

That's cool that the lithiums work well In that koa/ziricote VM8. My VM8 has a 5 piece maple neck, maple board, and alder body so they are waaaaaay too bright and sterile. I think I'm going to have elysian pickups wind me a set at some point in the future to replace them.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

yeah the lithiums really don't work in brighter sounding woods, that's part of why I took em out of my dc600 and considered taking them out of my other vm8. I think the koa really helps warm the lithiums up and balance out how ridiculously bright they sound.