DI box advising please

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by alvaro, Jun 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. alvaro

alvaro ... dat chugga

Hey guys, got a question about proper setup: What kind of DI box (active, passive) would be more suitable for this studio setup?

guitar (Fishman Fluence Modern set active pickups)

Line 6 G30 wireless

ISP Decimator

Xotic SP

Whammy DT

Overdrive pedal (Precision Drive)

DI box

audio interface (via XLR cable to its mic preamp)

Revalver VST​

p.s. I am also not sure about compressor's best place: some people say it's better before the overdrive, others say after. My poor logic sense tells me that it belongs between the gate and the Overdrive.

I will appreciate any advise. Thanks a lot.

2. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Since your pickups are active you can go either active or passive DI box. I have the BOSS DI-1 and its really nice. The Radial, Countryman, or Littlelabs DI boxes are good too. I'm no expert but I think you want the DI at the beginning of your chain, but I could be wrong. I'd put it after your wireless unit and see what your wave forms look like as opposed to putting it after your OD pedal.

Edit: I'd actually do exactly what I mentioned, and use the parallel out for your FX chain. This will capture 2 signals. Your completely dry signal, then the one with your FX chain. That way if you need the DI for any reason, you have it.

Guitar -> Wireless -> DI BOX -> Preamp
    Guitar -> Wireless -> DI BOX (Parallel Out) -> ISP Decimator -> etc.

3. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Also your Decimator should be the last pedal from your guitar (right before the amp/interface)

4. alvaro

alvaro ... dat chugga

I understand your approach, however, the reason I want a DI Box is for achieving a balanced/low impedance signal, and therefore being able to use the high quality mic preamps of my audio interface, instead of the Hi-Z input (which I think is not as good in quality converters). So, setting it before the pedals (which seem to be mono/unbalanced)... would it preserve those characteristics? Please note that I own all of those devices for DAW recording purposes, exclusively (I'm a "bedroom musician")

Ok, but he Precision Drive has its own gate, so IMO it would be kinda useless to put Decimator after it. I think would be more useable to locate the Decimator in other point of the signal chain.

5. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I'm kind of confused why passive DI cannot be used with passive electronics, I know the impedance but what it really does in term of physics if you use one?

6. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

The purpose of a DI box is to capture the DI. I would make sure that signal is correct and how you want it, before you go adding FX to your chain. Guitar -> DI -> Preamp is going to give you the absolutely best DI given the gear you have listed. I would for sure be recording 2 tracks simultaneously in your situation, capturing just the DI signal, then having another signal (in parallel) capturing your wet signal. My BOSS DI-1 has 3 outputs, one 1/4 and XLR for the impedance, and one parallel out to bypass the DI box impedance matching. Try and get a box that will give you options. IMO though, the DI is the most important thing, regardless of what fancy distortion pedals and compressors you have.

I don't think there are any rules that say you can't use a passive box with passive pickups, but generally its just not enough juice compared to an active box. I don't know the scientific details, I just did some research and saw that the consensus was active pickups = passive box, and passive pickups = active box, so I went with it, and am happy.

7. alvaro

alvaro ... dat chugga

ok. i think im going to buy a Radial Pro 48, seems good priced unit for the specs and has good reviews on inet. I liked that Boss DI-1 too, but seems out of stock here in EU.

Thanks everyone for the advising