Dexter

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Karl Hungus, Dec 6, 2006.

1. jordanky

jordanky Contributor

There is way too much story left to tell and too many loose ends to tie up, to fit in one more episode. Not really that stoked on the series finale of Dexter. They should have stopped at the end of season four.

2. wespaul

wespaul Octaves of Manhattan

I was laughing so hard during this scene. The only way it could be funnier is if Dexter's breath was visible on the window.

Unless the last episode is 2 hours, it's going to be an erratic series finale trying to tie up all the loose ends (if they even bother to try).

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

4. jordanky

jordanky Contributor

Aimee Garcia is so hot haha

5. Kiwimetal101

Kiwimetal101 'Tread Lightly'

6. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

So he left after season 4, that surely would explain a lot. I guess he was the genius behind the earlier seasons? I'll admit I didn't think season 3 was that good, though the last few episodes of it were good. But season 1, 2, and 4 were pure magic. Even till today those are the only 3 seasons I've purchased on Bluray and have re-watched.

Rev.

7. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Out of curiosity, I went looking for spoilers for the finale. Considering at the time, the article's writer was a couple episodes back from
    Deb getting shot
    , this seems plausible.

'Dexter' Finale Leak Sounds Terrible

Can't wait to watch the spin-off series,
    "Quinn, Douchebag Vigilante"

8. wankerness

I would have dismissed that as hate-fan-fiction before the last episode, but yeah, that fits perfectly with what actually did happen in episode 11 and is also 100% horrible. A show starring Quinn as a murderous vigilante is an even worse idea than a show starring that emokid that was on a few episodes as Dexter's prodigy would have been.

Though, Quinn is easily the worst cop in a department that has solved like 1 murder in 8 seasons, so maybe he'll get caught and executed in the pilot episode. I'd watch that.

9. Kevin King

Kevin King SS.org Regular

I am waiting for dvd :( Am I missing anything insanely ridiculous in final season?

10. Demiurge

That reminds me of the funniest line this season, Dexter fuming in this past episode about Saxon wanting to set up shop in Miami, mentioning that the murder solve rate is only 20% being appealing.

11. Kiwimetal101

Kiwimetal101 'Tread Lightly'

Yea Dexter mentions that in the pilot, it why he lives and works there still..

12. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Just goofy plot writing. Yeah, you can wait. If you haven't been watching it all along and need to keep up to date with it then yeah, by all means sit it out and wait.

Rev.

13. wankerness

OK, I guess that link really was just hate-fan-fiction and had very little correspondence to what actually happened. It sounds like it was even worse! Here's an entertaining plot summary/thoughts by "djf881":

1. In the final hour, it all comes down to Saxon and Elway. Almost as good as Colin Hanks and Imaginary Adama.

2. Deb states the show's thesis: "No matter how much selfish shit you do, Dexter, nothing is ever your fault. You deserve to be happy."

3. Wanted serial killer Hannah, by the way, was recognized by the nurse when she took Harrison to the ER, but she can walk right through airport security and present fake documents without arousing any suspicion.

4. Dexter sends Harrison off into a hurricane on a bus with his serial killer girlfriend, so he won't have to do any parenting for the rest of the series.

5. Saxon, the subject of a manhunt, goes straight to the hospital, and is caught immediately.

This is the first time in several years that Miami Metro has caught a criminal.

6. There has to be an attempt at dramatic stuff, so Deb gets brain damage. Ghost Harry has returned to his home planet, so he can't show up to explain that we should feel sad. But now, Dexter will have Ghost Deb to tell him that he should do whatever he wants all the time.

7. Professional bounty-hunter Elway finds Hannah, but lets her stick him with a horse tranquilizer and escape.

8. Dexter kills a handcuffed Saxon in a police interrogation room. But it's okay, because in Florida, this is self-defense. Also, the interrogation room has a video camera, but no audio.

9. Dexter goes into the hospital, kills Deb, wheels her body out of the hospital on a gurney and carries her onto a boat, because nobody in Dexter's Miami pays attention to anything, and also, the hospital has boat parking.

10. On the boat in the hurricane, Dexter decides to abandon his parental responsibilities once and for all. He throws his cell phone in the ocean. Then, he throws Deb in the ocean

11. There are probably a lot of people who would like to mourn Deb, and she is entitled to a police funeral with full honors, but Dexter just throws her in the ocean, because he doesn't give a shit about anybody.

Then, he drives his boat into the hurricane, because this is the responsible thing for the sole surviving parent of a small child to do.

12. Dexter is not actually dead! He just pretended to die so he could ditch his girlfriend and never have to see his son again! He is now a trucker, apparently.

10/10

14. jordanky

jordanky Contributor

I hate that I wasted my time with this season. What a shitty finale, oh well!

15. Demiurge

I can only imagine that the actual ending was a quick rewrite after the "it was all a dream" ending was scrapped.

16. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Man that last episode was such a let down. I told my wife knowing the show was ending it's like the writers all went on vacation and some top level exec forced the IT guy to write the last episode :lol:

There were oh so many issues with the ending, but even that aside it just felt so quickly scribbled together:

How uneventful was that Saxon storyline/ending? Pen to the neck, whoopie!! :woot: And the whole, "Deb was lucky, the bullet didn't hit any important organs:" 30 minutes later, Oh no... she had a massive stroke! I'm no doctor but if I recall correctly don't dangerous clots take just a bit longer to form than that same day?? One killed my step father after heart surgery nearly 2 weeks later. Hannah stabbing Elway with the needle and he just sits there, not a pinch of fighting back. And worst of all... Dex drives his boat head on into a hurricane, the boat gets destroyed, and yet somehow... some magical way... he survives it!?? That far out, in a hurricane, how the F would he live?

Meh, only ending I felt more cheated than this was Lost.

Rev.

17. wankerness

I know people like to complain about the Lost ending being unsatisfying but at least it was clearly thought about for a long time, was set up throughout the last couple seasons, and wasn't a half-ass hack job like this one.

18. wespaul

wespaul Octaves of Manhattan

A friend of mine summed it up, and I think he makes a good point:

19. wankerness

He sure gives the writers wayyyyyy more credit than they deserve. Unless, of course, that whole thing is parodying pretentious TV reviewers and is meant to be funny, in which case he did a good job!

20. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Yeah, Dexter is one of those shows that started great in the first season, and in my opinion, has been gradually downhill since. First off, how many serial killers can one city have? A high murder rate is one thing, but actual serial killers are the rarest of the rare. Second, how does someone not notice that half of Miami's police force, aside from not being able to solve crimes whatsoever, is pretty much dead in a span of 8 years? I don't know what Miami's like, but living in Canada, we average a little less than 3 on-duty deaths for police officers in a year across the whole country, how can one police force be so eviscerated and not be... oh... I'm on a logic tangent that has no place being applied to TV shows. I guess I just found so much of the premise increasingly baffling. And a man with a death count rivalling Jason Voorhees should, after 8 years... oh here I go... getting tired. Anyway, too many words to say I am dissappointed with how this show turned out. I was actually bored with episodes, by the end I only watched because my wife needed the closure. Too bad.