Determining Neck Height over Body Face

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by CRAC, Aug 18, 2015.

1. CRAC

CRAC SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

Making a new guitar here, I'm trying to avoid having a neck angle, so the solution is to raise the neck slightly over the body to compensate. My bridge is a Schaller Hannes 7, whose saddles are approximately 11.8mm high. The saddle height does not seem to be adjustable...

My fingerboard+frets will be approximately 7 or 8 mm thick, plus I need a bit of room for string action and the remaining height is compensated by raising the neck, correct?

How much distance should I allow for the string action? Since the bridge doesn't seem to be adjustable, I feel like it's really important for me to figure out this height and not just guess an arbitrary number...please help me out!

Thanks,

Chris

2. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Guitar Nerd Vendor

The Hannes bridge is height-adjustable. They even offer a longer set of screws in case the regular ones aren't enough for whatever you're doing.

3. demonx

demonx Searls Guitars Vendor

First of all, why would you want to NOT have a neck angle? Guitars without neck angle are usually less comfortable to play. The angle not only compensates for the bridge height, but it acts like ergonomics so it doesn't feel like you're holding a long length of 2x4 as the guitar slightly wraps around your body.

To test this, pick up two guitars one after the other, one with no angle and one with lots. You'll see what I mean.

To answer your question, the height is subjective, as long as it allows enough and not too much that your string heights align with your bridge.