Desktop to laptop Display

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Heyitstahtoneguy, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Heyitstahtoneguy

Heyitstahtoneguy In the Void

What i want to do, if its possible, is use my laptop as a bypass. Meaning I want to connect by desktop to my laptop, to use its screen as a monitor. Im not trying to transfer files or combine them, just simply make it to where the laptop screen is my monitor, and maybe be able to use the keyboard. Im just wondering if its possible, as I have little room for adding a separate monitor, so im just trying to save space. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks guys!

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I know I've connected my laptop to my TV using an HDMI adaptor, and my desktop to my TV using a VGA cable, but you'd have to see which kind of connections your computer has. What ports are available?

3. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Not possible any monitor type jack on your laptop is for output only. (unless yours is just different than most mass produced laptops that is)

4. Jordan Djenital Warts

Jordan Djenital Warts Jordan

This.

Unless you completely remove the screen from the laptop and fashion your own power adaptor and rewire the display for a VGA input.

You'd be better off just buying a monitor dude

5. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity Vendor

^ Yup.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think Macs can do this though? Or at least, they do something I thought was pretty cool. Though I think it may be functioning as an external HDD..not monitor.

6. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Do what I did for the first year of owning a computer and use your tv as a monitor. A 32" CRT for counter strike back in the day was always fun.

7. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

There's one possibility, but it's unlikely.

If you have the "Pro" SKU of any version of Windows since XP, you can set up Remote Desktop, run it over a network, and connect to the remote desktop from your laptop on the same network. You would even be able to use the laptop keyboard that way.

8. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

There's kits out there that include circuit boards with power supplies and video I/O so you can use your laptop's screen as a monitor. It requires removing the screen, though.

9. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Which isn't the easiest thing to do without seriously fucking something up. I've taken laptops apart before and needless to say I had a hard time getting it back together. That and if I recall correctly the screen required quite a few things to come off before it would. just buy a cheap monitor.

10. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

:agreed:

11. Heyitstahtoneguy

Heyitstahtoneguy In the Void

Thanks gentlemen, nah i already went out and got a new monitor, now where to put it is the question haha. Just trying to give my baby one last chance before donating it!

12. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

I second getting a 32" tv and hdmi adapter. I use this in tandem with a wireless keyboard and mouse for the ultimate in gaming. Skyrim is pretty epic with this setup.