Designer stages African themed fashion show with no Black models.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Solodini, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Well wikipedia (if you accept that as a source, which seems to be okay nowadays) tells that again the most accepted theory is that all versions of humans were black before they left Africa and then developed lighter skin colors as they moved away from the equator, because skin color is highly correlated with the amount of UV radiation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_skin

2. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Whites still account for approx. 75% of the population in the USA, and the other 25% are divided among all the other various races, so it would be normal I'd think to see mostly whites on commercials and billboards.

How many leading roles has Denzel Washington had in non-goofy comedies?
    Samual Jackson, Morgan freeman, Will Smith?

Not trying to be argumentative, but I honestly think that hill has already been climbed.

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I'm sure there's a reason, I just wonder how people are able to make such detailed assumptions about ancient africa's climate that they can figure ancient human's skin tone. I feel like that'd almost be guesswork if we had to do it even today. I have no doubt that people who evolved in places where they are in more direct sunlight are going to have darker skin than the people who evolved in places where they are in less direct sunlight, but we have no base reference point for the ancient world I wonder how we can say that we were "black" and not just "darker than we all are today since we didn't live in buildings".

I guess that the real issue is that "black" has connotations outside just skin pigment (in terms of race). So yeah, I guess you could say we all came from "black" people, but even blacks had to come from "black" people because we have no reason to assume that the other attributes associated with modern-day blacks were all common to "blacks" who lived in 100k y/o africa.

4. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Well... Probably...

Every time I get in the car with someone to carpool to or from work, and that person is NOT a person of color, they switch the radio to an "urban" station... I'd say there are quite a few things in society that go on that seem silently prejudiced... :2c:

But be that as it may, oh well... Until someone else's twisted perception of you legitimately stops your forward progress it's really of no consequence to anyone but those who like to sit and spin on unimportant issues... :shrug:

Further, I'm getting really tired of black people trying to turn every single thing into a, "You're trying to bring us down!", black-vs-white thing and still assert that white people are the racist ones. Clearly racism camps out on both sides of that ignorant ass fence. And I realize that "our history" isn't exactly the prettiest, but I find it hard to be mad at anything like this seeing as I haven't even been REMOTELY oppressed by anyone in my lifetime.

To be honest, the most oppressive people I come across are those that call themselves "my people". They always seem to have these "helpful suggestions"--for lack of a more descriptive term that isn't vulgar--as to what I should and should not do seemingly only to avoid being similar to "a white boy". Never once have they provided more detail than that... Sounds pretty damn racist to me...

5. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Agree with you on that one to a point. However without this being my field of science at all, I believe that your skin color is determined by your DNA (makes sense) so when you find DNA in very old bones or bodies that have been preserved somehow, scientist can actually tell roughly what skin color the person would have been from the DNA by comparing with now living humans.

About climate: From looking at geological layers in the earth you can say something about the climate. Also from ice drillings on the poles and in Greenland you can determine the concentration of various composits of air, for example the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere can be determined for each year for the last many hundred thousands of years. And giving that 100000 years is nothing on a plate tectonic scale Africa would be the same place that it is now, so we can actually have a fairly good idea about how the climate was back then.

6. Konfyouzd

Based on your DNA... Would you not have to at least study mating patterns at that point? It seems really hard to unravel what was based on what currently is... I don't know if that's even possible. It's like sending encrypted data that has no key. What mapping do you use to determine what the original components were in something like human mating patterns particularly from that long ago? I mean damn... People still use Maury Povich to tell us if we are or are not the father... :lol:

7. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I think the whole idea with the concept of "race" in biological terms is that the structure of DNA for homo sapiens is the same now as it was 100000 years ago - so you can directly compare the two. Because the key or structure is identical to ours.

I remember some time ago it was in the news (maybe only science news) that scientist had found a tribe in Africa whoes DNA was extremely similar to that of samples of early homo sapiens.

8. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard Dignity

I really dislike that the current climate of identity politics supports and legitimizes people like this. Lately, I've often seen the claim that people of color can't be racist. It blows my mind because that idea itself seems wildly racist and dehumanizing, ironically, to insist that all people aren't equally able to be great or terrible.

In general it seems like people go off the deep end over any perceived slight. I ultimately think it's good though. To paraphrase Joe Rogan of all people, the pendulum went from overt racism everywhere to everyone being hyper-sensitive about political correctness, so hopefully it settles in the middle where everyone is cool with each other.

9. Konfyouzd

We can only hope. I'll drink to that sh!t... :cheers: