Depression - How to get motivation?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by vampiregenocide, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Pav

Pav ???

I was forced to that conclusion a couple years ago. Even on regular antidepressants I find myself slipping away when things get tough. Although I haven't gone off my meds, a month ago some people I was very close to and thought I could trust betrayed me and have been avoiding me ever since. Since then it's hard not to get the feeling that everything is fucking pointless and not going to get any better. Life just isn't worth living when you're all alone, no matter how many guitars you have.

Gothic Headhunter likes this.
  2. blaaargh

blaaargh Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked

I'm really glad I found this thread, as I'm going through a very similar experience to the OP. I'm 20 years old, left college after a disappointing spring/summer session, in addition to a lack of funds, and now I'm back at my parent's with no idea what my future's going to be like. I've been pretty down for the past couple months, and I'm really terrified of the future. I have no motivation to do anything, nothing holds any attraction for me, not even music, which has always been my go-to release for situations like this. I've had a few friends who've stood by me, and my gf has been super supportive, but now they're all hours away, and I can't talk to them regularly. I've been out of touch with the few friends of mine that I still have in my hometown, and I'm trying to get back up with them, but it's hard when I don't even want to leave my room, much less my house. I've always been somewhat introverted, but since the spring I've become more and more of a recluse. My gf was practically the only human contact I had for months, and now I can't see her at all. We're going to try to make a long-distance relationship work, and I really think if anyone can pull it off, we can. She's been the only thing that's kept me remotely with it, and I don't even want to think about what my situation would be without her. My mom got me set up with a counselor, which I think will be helpful. I'm also looking into woodworking schools/programs to give me something to do, but I haven't found anything yet. I just need something to give my life some kind of purpose (read: job), but in my current mindstate, it's so easy to fall into the trap of thinking "I won't find a job, and even if I do, it'll just make me more miserable." I know that's a cop-out, and getting work will make everything better, but it's a hard pitfall to avoid. So yeah, that's where I'm at.

3. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Kind of bumping this thread because I'm going through some serious depression right now. Without getting too far into the how or why of it, what advice do you guys have for trying to snap out of it? Granted my case is a little harder than par because I have a diagnosis of severe PTSD and chronic depression (and no meds for either right now), but I was trying to find a way to cope with it and handle it without meds. So far I'm failing, but I don't wanna give up on trying. So again, any advice at all?

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Somehow anytime I end up really depressed I just ride it out, go about my business and take care of the things I have to and I start to focus less and less on the little things that are depressing me and my focus shifts to things that I've been doing right while not trying to think about being depressed.

5. Genome

Genome Wrex. Shepard.

Your own post on page 2 had some really good advice in it. :yesway:

6. TheManWhoWalksAlone

TheManWhoWalksAlone SS.org Regular

"I know it's kind of mean, but as someone who has been... sick for a long time I can't tell you how disgusted I've become when I hear shit like that from people, I know they're just trying to help, but it's so insulting to us, it's like they don't understand the scale at which things are in our minds. They don't understand the doom. Most people's understanding of depression is being bummed out for a little while, and that's far from what it is. Depression is nothingness. Nothing works, nothing helps, nothing you do is right, nothing anyone else does is right. Not a single thing gives you joy and you have no hope. Every moment in your head is this up and down, back and forth, neurotic pattern of thought thats constantly trying to figure out what to do and is constantly coming up with no answers, and it feeds your self hate, and it feeds your hopelessness. Every moment ends with thoughts of ending it. If you pass a certain point you become obsessed with death, suicide is a constant thought and the only logical option."

^

This is exactly what it feels like to me, and exactly what I've been going through. Nothing helps anymore, Music for some reason just reminds me of everything I'm not, and it just makes it worse... What's worse is having no job, and living in New Jersey, which I consider to be the worst state in the U.S, hands down. Finding a job is extra hard when your this depressed, and it's hard as shit to get a job in this broken Capitalist system these days.