Demon // Dark Souls I + II // Bloodborne

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by ohoolahan, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Any of you guys want to help me kill Aldrich? I'm online now, and will for most of this evening :D

2. Pav

Pav ???

Is it that much harder? Demon's Souls is the only one I have yet to play...but after DS1, DS3 feels like an absolute breeze.

3. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

I can help you tonight. I get off work at 6. It is 4 now.

4. Rock4ever

Rock4ever SS.org Regular

My experience with pvp is getting pvpwned when I use an ember

5. NicePants

NicePants ok

I think whichever is your first you'll likely find the most difficult. I played Dark Souls 1 first and nothing can compare to that first run. I played Demon's Souls after playing 1/2 and I managed to breeze past most of it. I even killed the famous Flamelurker in one try (though I was hanging on by a thread at the end).

6. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Got my strength build looking awesome
    Its Morne's chest, helm and legs of favor, and brass gloves. I need a couple more points in vit to wear the gloves of favor as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

Just got the first Dark Souls to try to get into the series. Put it into my 360 and got the red rings of death. This bodes well.

8. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Obviously, Souls was too hard for your 360. Your 360 must have seen what was to come and said "phuck this"

9. Rock4ever

Rock4ever SS.org Regular

Just got to the Lothric castle. Lost 60k souls trying to get back to the Dancer.:mad:

I cant remember the last time I played a game through a 2nd time, but I'm looking very forward to it with DS3

10. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

Honestly thought Demon's Souls was super easy compared to Dark Souls. Almost all of the bosses had super low health, aside from about 3. Nothing is as hard as Flamelurker NG++ though... holy .....

Only thing that bugs me about this game is certain enemies have infinite ....ing stamina, and they feel straight out of Bloodborne. Also, the Blue Sentinels, Darkmoon, and Way of Blue covenants were not very well thought out and do not work well at all because hardly anyone is in WoB.

The dark sword and the Estoc need a bit of a nerf. Dark Sword needs a damage nerf, and Estoc needs a delayed 3rd R1 OR it needs to consume more stamina. They would still be viable in PVP/PVE, but right now those weapons far outclass any longsword/rapier to the point where it is kind of silly.

I'm using a quality strength/dex build, with a Zweihander and Carthus Sword both refined. I'm dominating in PVP with this setup. I have the shield of want for the stability and extra souls, and then a buckler on backup to punish R1 spammers. No spells, no buffs. Tried Sacred Oath for a while, but it seems like most of the miracles are trash right now, hard to justify the stat investment. Idk if you guys remember vanilla Dark Souls 2 but miracles were INSANE in that game.

[​IMG]

Normally I were a hood, but I spent a lot of time making her cute dammit.

EDIT: OMG she blinked when I took the picture lmao

11. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

Right now I'm running the Demon's Great Hammer +4, with a Sunlight Straight Sword (don't remember how high it is now) as secondary weapon. I've been using carthus flame arc to buff the sunlight sword. I've got the armor of thorns, with the aristocrat's mask for the awesome. I'm just decimating enemies with the build. I'm at 37 strength, 30 dex, 17 faith and int. And I can't remember anything else off the top of my head.

I admit, I suck at PVP, so I don't do it much. I am having fun with Aldrich Faithful.

12. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

Hi guys and gals,

I'm busy doing my first playthrough of DS1 and I am liking it a lot. One of my friends has played it a couple of times, so I have someone to chat about it and oh my, there is a lot to discuss about this game.

Now there's this thing that I can't get a clear answer about from my friend, namely how actual damage to an enemy compares to the weapon numbers.

Now to clarify my specific situation, here is a stat screen. (phone pic, since xboxdvr is not refreshing fast enough)

[​IMG]

As you can see the spear has a physical dmg of 177 + lightning dmg of 177, that should be 354dmg altogether. It requires 11 str and 10 dex, which on the right side you can see I easily surpassed.

Now my common sense would say that unless a normal hit gets blocked an enemy would at least get 177 physical dmg from that hit. This is never the case though. To illustrate, using this lightning spear results in about 63 dmg on the crystal hollows in Duke's Archives, but a hell a lot more on hollows in undead burg.

The game is not telling me how I can interpret weapon stats exactly, because in no case (as far as I experienced) a hit ever delivers an amount of dmg that I can trace back to the weapon's stats. On top of this, some weapons with similar stats could deliver more or less dmg (though I think scaling applies in these cases).

Now, I want to make some sense from all this and my google searches haven't been helpful really. At the moment weapon stats mean absolutely nothing to me, since the proof only seems to be in the pudding, because higher physical damage =/= higher dmg per hit.

Can anyone enlighten me?

13. mrspacecat

mrspacecat SS.org Regular

The Crystal golems in the Duke's archives are very resistant to melee damage. If I remember correctly, most enemies in that area are resistant to melee. That is why your attacks are not as effective against them. The lightning spear is an otherwise great weapon though.

14. mrspacecat

mrspacecat SS.org Regular

Does anyone play Dark Souls III on PC? I'm thinking of getting it soon, since I love the series. I'm a bit concerned since there seems to be a lot of issues with softbans for no apparent reason. Is this still an issue?

15. leftyguitarjoe

Many later game enemies have high damage resistances. And if you're at the archives, you really should be using something better than a +3 spear. Also, infusing a weapon removes all scaling bonuses, rendering your stats useless.

Your stats are all over the place and it looks like you levels resistance, which is a pretty useless stat. Pick strength or dex and min/max whichever one you want to use while also leveling endurance and vigor as you see fit. All stats have severely diminishing returns after level 40 so you really dont need to go beyond that. Dont worry about int and fth unless you want to make a magic or cleric build.

If you wanna use spears and stuff, I guess you want to do a dex build. Here is how you should look at level 70 starting as a thief class.

Vit: 15
    Att: 11
    End: 40
    Str: 12
    Dex: 40
    Res: 10
    Int: 12
    Fth: 11

16. leftyguitarjoe

"Should I get *insert game* on PC"

The answer to that is always yes

17. ZeroS1gnol

Ah well, forgive me, this is my first experience with a souls game the levelling went a bit unfocused. As for the +3 spear...I need a titanite slab for it to upgrade and these things can't be bought and hardly ever drop, so Im kind of stuck on that (until new londo ruins, so Ive heard)

18. leftyguitarjoe

If I were you I'd start a new game. You should progress to where you're already at pretty quickly the second time around and with better stat allocation. Just stick to upgrading a weapon you like along the standard path. If you wanna do dex, try and use a weapon with C or higher scaling. If you want (and its probably easier), start as a knight and use heavy weapons and swap dex strength. You can get the zweihander as soon as you get to firelink and never have to use another weapon the whole game.

19. ZeroS1gnol

Haha well, with about 60 hours in I intend to finish this playthrough and after that start DS3.

20. leftyguitarjoe

Starting a new game is one of m favorite things to do in the Souls games. I try to see how long I can go without dying. And then you can lay a sign down and steamroll areas with a noob.