Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Daf57, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

No one wants to smash out a huge crushing cord only to have it feel like a uke in your hands in comparison.
    If he can't feel it, and from the way he discusses this in various interviews stating that he just loves crushing drawn out sounds and the way it feels, then he is going to have a .... time on stage and you're going to hear that disconnection in the audience.

Side note, get to see them Saturday with Karnivool opening for them!!!

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Karnivool? Wow, that's an interesting choice.

3. Sikthness

Sikthness SS.org Regular

wait what? Karnivool is opening for Deftones? I will go wherever this is happening

4. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

In Australia! Get your plane tickets quick, before either of those two numpties get elected and put your country in lockdown!

5. Sikthness

Sikthness SS.org Regular

hahaha . damn I wish i could. That would be an absolutely incredible show. Australia has all these bands Id love to see, Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus, Caligulas Horse, Twelve foot Ninja ...I need to spend a year in australia enjoying the women and see some of these bands

6. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

There are so many great bands, unfortunately I just think it's quite hard for Australian bands to brake from the gigging scene to touring and having a label promote them internationally. A big part of that may lie with the fans, I'm not sure what it's like in other countries, but I have seen Australian opening acts get constantly booed because dickheads in the crowd just wanted to see the international headline act. The openers weren't bad, 5they just weren't who they wanted to see, but completely undeserving of the treatment from the crowd...

7. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I'm so late getting this. Only finally listening to it since earlier this week.

Honestly, I'm quite surprised everyone's saying it doesn't measure up to Diamond Eyes or KNY, because my immediate first impression was Oh man! They decided to ROCK again!

Because I felt like KNY is totally neutered, and about half of Diamond Eyes is too. Gore actually jams, gets you headbanging, which is really refreshing after an album totally and completely devoid of that. The last two tracks, I play them over and over again because they friggin slay! And I love the first track as well. Chino actually brought back his screaming, and it's intense!

I love Diamond Eyes, and I do like Koi No Youkan, but I feel that Gore is exactly what the doctor ordered.

8. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

Not sure how to feel about this. I mean, I'd believe you if you told me this was a White Pony b-side. Which should be good, in theory, but this is really pushing the boundaries of influence in to rip-off territory.

setsuna7 and Rational Gaze like this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

jesus the singer even sounds just like chino

setsuna7 likes this.
  10. Nlelith

Nlelith SS.org Regular

I could name a few of bands that do rip-offs pretty constantly, but that track above is just similar sounding to Deftones, I wouldn't call it a rip-off (unless you have a certain track in mind, that I didn't hear/don't remember).

Now, since we discuss bands similar to Deftones, here's my recommendation... and it's currently my top#2 album of 2017:
    Skip to 21:42 for best track on the album.

Alex Kenivel likes this.
  11. KristapsCoCoo

KristapsCoCoo SS.org Regular

It sounds like a Deftones song, I dig it! If I could find a vocalist who could pull it off, I would rip off Deftones all day, every day.

Alex Kenivel likes this.
  12. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel K-U-N-fusion!

Wow, both of those bands do Deftones really well, with Vexes doing the earlier-era stuff, and Come to Dolly sounding a bit more like the later-era...I like 'em both! Vexes' singer in particular gives me a strong Chino vibe...Vextones! :lol:

Nlelith likes this.
  13. Rational Gaze

Rational Gaze LithiumDawn Voicebox

While I really enjoy this, I just cannot get over how it isn't really trying to be anything but the Deftones. The singer does his best Chino impersonation, including the tiny fake-me-out vibrato at the end of some phrases. Even the name of the band and the song title share the Deftones aesthetic.

It's cool I guess, I just don't know how far they can logically take this.

14. silverabyss

silverabyss

Come to dolly is like self titled riffs with around the fur vocals, pretty cool

15. Petar

Petar SS.org Regular

Not sure if mentioned earlier anywhere on this forum... But i really enjoy the band named Face Off and their EP: Massive...
    Of course, everyone will have its own perception, but to me it sounds like post-rock kind of Deftones vibe, with female vocals... Oddly enough, they are from Serbia, as well...:)

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  16. Sikthness

Sikthness SS.org Regular

always reminded me of Deftones

KnightBrolaire likes this.