Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Daf57, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Doh! Sorry! :ugh:

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Wouldn't be shocked. Well known these guys love Weezer, and they use to cover El Scorcho and (I think) Say It Ain't So live sometimes.

3. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Adrenaline is 21 years old. :ugh:

4. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

29 posts above that.

5. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Just picked this up the other day and I need to let it grow on me but so far I dig it, though it's not as good as KNY or Diamond Eyes. I can see some parts where people are saying it sounds more like Palms than Deftones but that doesn't bother me at all since I love Palms.

6. DeadPool2099

DeadPool2099 SS.org Regular

I've been listening to the new album since i got it off Itunes. Mainly after repeated listens the album to me it sounds like post rock or indie rock, mixed with hard rock or metal riffs. The music sounds kind of different, more like the band is slowly taking a new direction. There's some leads and harmonies happening. Not much leads like solos, just little melodies between both guitars. Which is nothing new, Deftones has been doing that since SNW. Jerry Cantrell's solo rips pretty good on Phantom bride.

I get a better view on how some of the new music works, with each guitar. Watch "Hearts/Wires" live with Jimmy Kimmel. You can see that the Bass VI, chinos guitar and Stephens 8-string each have a distinct sound. The Bass VI and Chinos guitar are playing melodies an octave apart. And sometimes the Bass VI and 8-string and doing Rhythms together but they don't mash together. The timbre between the 8-string guitar and Bass VI sound pretty different from each other.

The music is simple but very melodic,there's more melodic things happening with all three guitars. The 8-string riffs are hella simple, it's cool how the 8-string , 6-string and Bass VI sometimes lock in. Also the fact that this particular album isn't Stephen Carpenter pummeling listeners into the ground with his rhythms constantly dominating the mix. There is a little bit more space for both guitars and the Bass VI to breathe.

7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I listened to the album 15 or so more times. I don't like it any more than I did on first listen. The only two tracks I can see myself coming back to frequently are the first and last tracks. It's about tied with the S/T for the worst in their discography, but it's not bad, just kind of meh.

8. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

I found it grew on me, but I also think SNW is their weakest effort to date. I appreciate the varying influences and layers going on with the album (I hear some Cure and Weezer especially). It's good background music for getting work done or driving.

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah, "good background music" is exactly it. Their other stuff mostly all functions as FOREGROUND music :D

10. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Couldn't agree more.

I listen to Phantom Bride...and that's pretty much it.

11. GraemeH

GraemeH SS.org Regular

Yeah listened 16 times now and although it's better listened to as a complete album than dipping in for an individual track here or there, it's still like Self Titled without Hexagram and Minerva, or Saturday Night Wrist without Beware or Hole.

I literally can't remember a single riff, vocal melody, chorus, anything.

Shame, because I loved Koi No Yokan more than most of their stuff, they were really at their top level they've ever been at on that album for me.

12. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

After multiple listens I decided it's not as good as their other recent output (DE, KNY). However, I still do like it. Acid Hologram, Geometric Headdress, and Phantom Bride are the tracks I keep returning to. I don't care for a few others (title track pls), and the remaining 50% is likable but not exemplary.

13. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I got my hopes up too much after hearing Prayers/Triangles, absolutely love that song. Phantom Bride is great too and a couple others but yeah, the rest is on the weak side. I'd give it about a 6/10.

14. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

It's definitely not as catchy, and not nearly as memorable as Koi or Diamond Eyes, but it's a fairly beautiful album, and I'm excited to hear some of this stuff live the next few years.

15. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

^ This. It's not an album of SONGS, like they usually do, but the album as a whole is pretty good.

16. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negative™

god damn you :lol:

:fawk:

:wub:

17. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Blackest of the Black Metal

Great show in Memphis TN. Stephens tone sounded great and chino was really on point.

18. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Does Stef still bring like 11 guitars with different downtuned tunings on tour? I feel that he should cut the amount to 3 and get the Drop pedal or use his Axe FX's pitch shift function so that he doesn't have to bother his flight customs and guitar tech.

1. 8-string F#BEADGBE
      • Adrenaline - The low two strings aren't used since it was recorded in E standard
      • Self-titled - Effect set to 3, so the guitar is tuned to D#G#C#F#BEG#C# (the 8th string isn't used obviously)
      • Diamond Eyes - Original tuning
      • Koi No Yokan (Tempest and Rosemary) - Effect set to 1 since they're played in F standard
      • Gore - Original tuning
    2. 7-string Drop F#
      • Saturday Night Wrist - Original tuning
      • Koi No Yokan (rest of the album) - Effect set to 2 so it becomes Drop E (originally played on an 8 but I doubt the high E was used)
    3. Drop C#
      • Around The Fur - Original tuning
      • White Pony - Effect set to 1 so it becomes Drop C

19. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

Except Pitch shifting never sounds 100% right, and if you can afford to bring 11 guitars (which Deftones can), why not make sure everything sounds the way you want? If they were a small band playing clubs and driving a tour van it would totally make sense.

20. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

I didn't pay that much attention to his guitars actually (was on the other side of the stage for most time, and I guess my eyes have seen better years :D + for all I cared he could have been strumming along on a shovel if it sounded like that, best concert I've ever been to), but I can't remember him changing guitars a lot when I saw them last year. Maybe 4 or 5 times? And yes, if you can afford it and have someone put them in a rack on stage for you, and all you have to do is give the guitar to some guy and take the next one, then go on playing, I might do the same. I guess it's not just different tunings, but also backup guitars?