Defacing of monuments is apparently becoming more common.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by KnightBrolaire, Aug 26, 2017.

1. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I am fully aware of that.

2. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I am fully aware of that.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  3. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

I agree there is a gray area, and every historical figure has their flaws (MLK Jr. was very anti-homosexual for instance) and we shouldn't go removing every trace of someone who we disagree with, but there's a difference between ISIS removing priceless 3 thousand year old artifacts that reveal new information about early civilizations and taking down a statue built in the 1960s to spite civil rights activists and attempt to maintain cultural dominance.

What do you think about toppling statues during a revolution, like Stalin or Sadam statues? Are those who want to enter a new era by destroying the relics of a past oppressive one destroying history? If North Korea is ever liberated will you tell ex-DPRK citizens they must leave Pyonyang alone or else they're bad people for removing monuments they disagree with?

AxeHappy and vilk like this.
  4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Care to share anything supporting that claim about MLK Jr.?

5. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

6. Spaced Out Ace

7. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

What I meant by removing an inferior past because it doesn't fit their political agenda for the comparison to ISIS was that ISIS goes out and blows up thousands of years old statues, remains of cities, etc because they want to eradicate any existence of a non-Muslim Iraq or Syria. Of course, that's different from what the radical left is doing today in a way because how they see these statues of Confederate generals as symbols of white supremacy which like I said, is different from what ISIS' motives are but still have a common goal of what I compared them for. As for how I view removing statues during revolutions, my viewpoint changes and I find it too complex and confusing to really put into words so I do apologize about not really giving you my whole viewpoint on removing statues during revolutions.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Can't wait to see which founding father's statue the libtards deface next.

9. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

is this unironic

AxeHappy, iamaom and vilk like this.
  10. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

It would be a damn shame if that did happen.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  11. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

So you admit they are two completely different situations and yet you still want to compare them for some reason. I have a feeling that if these were Stalin or Hitler statues erected in the 1950s that many would reverse their opinions on trying to "preserve" history. I also don't see how taking down these statues is somehow affecting history, some of them are being put in museums and last I checked most american children don't learn history from looking at statues but in school. I haven't seen a single Christopher Columbus or Eric the Red statue but strangely I still know who they are.

AxeHappy and zappatton2 like this.
  12. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I don't see Stalin and Hitler statues history whatsoever. I see them as monuments to corrupt dictatorships. As far as I'm concerned, most of those Confederate statues were made because of the KKK reviving in the 20s.

13. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Preface: I haven't read a lot of this thread
    I understand criticisms of taking down monuments. Why is it okay to attack one sides statues for actions of those people but exclude the other side?
    It's all or nothing. Take down slave owners statues (that are on government property and publicly owned) but don't limit it to just Confederate leaders. George Washington, great guy I'm sure, but he will always be in history books. I don't find the argument of slavery being a cultural norm to be a write off.

BenjaminW likes this.
  14. Spaced Out Ace

Probably not the best place, but whatever. There was some "Mother of All Rallies" today, and apparently BLM showed up. The people holding the event handed the mic off to the folks representing BLM that approached the stage, and the two were very cordial. CNN wouldn't call it a "victory," but I think it is, or close enough to one, anyways. I think it's pretty fucking awesome, and I hope the mutual respect continues.

bostjan likes this.
  15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Hey, we don't see eye to eye on much, but I'm pro civil discourse.

Spaced Out Ace and bostjan like this.