Deep Thoughts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex Kenivel, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

The word ADVANTAGE is a noun.

But it is also a verb. Help me advantage the dog, please.

But before the flea killer, the word was an idea, but not a thing you can put in your pocket..

2. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

There is no way to prove we aren't in the Matrix. Because it can't be disproved, it is a valid scientific theory.

3. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

^ Argument from ignorance.

4. 7stringsofdoom

7stringsofdoom SS.org Regular

You can't disprove the existence of fairies, doesn't make it a valid case for their existence.

5. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

It's kind of the long and short of the argument. I actually looked into it and the procedures of the tests were far beyond my understanding. But in the end they figured the results of the tests the ran on our local region of space could easily be replicated artificially, so there is no way to prove or disprove it, so it is a possibility.

It's also interesting to think about from a philosophical standpoint. We are predicted to have the technology to have Matrix-like simulations by 2050. In order to keep the original simulation from creating a simulation of their own the original simulation needs to be restarted, so what is the point of planning our lives beyond 2050.

Just a cool thing to think about.

6. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

I've always toyed around with the hypothesis that our entire universe is but an atom of a much larger organism and the scale of which is more vast than anyone could even begin to imagine. Even if we were somehow able to reach the very furthest corners of the known universe, we'd still have only gone an infinitesimally small fraction of what is really out there.
    In that line of thinking, our place in the universe is so small and insignificant that most everything anyone has ever done seems to matter very little.

7. asher

asher So Did We

Every sine bit of you was once something else and will be something else again. Your "static" body is an ongoing chain of chemical reactions, pumping fluids, billions of bacteria doing their thing, air moving in and out, cells dying and dissolving and being made new in real time. All your thoughts are electric signals traveling certain paths in your brain.

8. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I'm waging a one man war against misuse of the phrase "scientific theory".

Lots of things are possible, that doesn't make them probable.

The simulation/matrix hypothesis is certainly cool to think about, but not a scientific theory.

It's a hypothesis I suppose but its a stretch even to characterize it as "scientific".

As you said, it can't disproven, therefore it is unfalsifiable.

To steal from this website:
    How do we approach an unfalsifiable hypothesis with the scientific method?

In the event that we can't how on earth does said unfalsifiable hypothesis it graduate from non-scientific conjecture to Scientific Theory?

It doesn't.

9. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Enthusiastic cannabis consumer and psychonaut here, my life is deep thoughts bruh. :lol:
    As well as profound understanding of things that I never usually think of.

10. Alex Kenivel

C'mon man, deep thoughts, not arguments. You can't really blame a guy for thinking.

Dont take this thread too seriously...

and by the way, fairies are definitely real. I just met the Tooth Fairy on Friday, giving a presentation to the kids at the preschool about brushing teeth.

The Tooth Fairy is kind of hot..

11. AngstRiddenDreams

I rammed out the tooth fairies' teeth with my dick and stuck em under my pillow.

All I got was an STD.

12. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

There are no deep thoughts, only Zuul.

13. Alex Kenivel

[​IMG]

Right here, Grindy :D

14. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Pics or it didn't happen!

"On a long enough time scale, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

That deep enough for ya'll?

15. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Possibility =/= likelihood.

Evidence to the positive is the only thing which a possibility towards likelihood. Otherwise, it's just unfounded speculation.

BTW, that idea about Matrix-like simulations? Tell me how they can put visual stimulation, bypassing the eyes' perception of a video device, is currently done. If there is no way to have a "matrix" without someone having to wear glasses, so you're aware you're feeling glasses, that would be a Matrix FAIL.

If they had devices which could cut in so the limbs didn't work, but which could reveal the nerve impulses for motion to be translated elsewhere, then the place you'd see such results in the field of prostheses, along with the pressure feedback from "touching" an object.

Imagine every sensory input which you can perceive, even just sitting there reading these words: the screen, the input devices in your hands, the pressure on your feet (if you're standing) or under your legs (if you're sitting), the other things you can see in the room with you, the noises around you, the feeling of the air moving in and out, the sensation of swallowing... all of which have to be part of a true "matrix" experience.

Daf57 likes this.
  16. AngstRiddenDreams

No one knows how they do it, but they do. Just don't ask any questions. :fawk:

17. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

I particularly hate the many catch 22s in life. In order to find a steady job, you need a steady mode of transportation. Unless the job is down around the corner and you can walk to it, you're going to need money to take a bus, hail a cab, buy a bike, or buy a car. But to get the money, you need a job.

Say you get the job and want a car. Unless you're the beneficiary of a rich family member who is on their deathbed, you're gonna need credit to afford the payments of a car loan. But you don't have credit, so you try to establish it. Creditors say that no credit is worse than bad credit, so you need to have established credit in order to establish credit.

Daf57 likes this.
  18. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Where are all the sour patch parents?

19. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

[​IMG]

asher likes this.
  20. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

If Micky's a mouse, and Minnie's a mouse, and Donald, and Goofy, and Daisy are all animals and they can talk, why is Pluto just a fucking dog? Did they just forget to anthropomorphize him, or worse, is Mickey keeping a mentally handicapped dude as a pet?