Deciding on a 6-String

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by ImN0tTelling, May 13, 2012.

1. ImN0tTelling

ImN0tTelling SS.org Regular

A few months back I decided that I would start the search for my first 6-string bass, I've done a good bit of research and I just wanted some opinions from others on the basses I've narrowed my search down to.

I've narrowed my search down to:

Spector Legend Classic 6

Warwick Corvette Standard 6

Ibanez SR1206E Premium

The only real question I have concerns the bronze frets on the Warwick, do they have any affect on playability? Do they wear faster or differently compared to other fret materials? Would it be advised to have them replaced?

I look forward to any responses or opinions, as I would greatly appreciate them. :)

2. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

The bell brass frets on the Warwick are sick! I prefer them I would also vote on getting a Warwick over almost anything else besides a MTD or Ibanez BTB in that price range. The biggest deciding factor is the sound and feel you are going for as all 3 basses you listed are winners. My personal preference is Warwick tho especially if you can snag a used German made one like I did. I own both a fretless German corvette standard 6-string and a German corvette Fna Jazzman 5-string. Both basses where $1000 used in excellent condition and I prefer them to my custom PBC and Clement basses that cost alot more.

3. ImN0tTelling

The Warwick I found is a made in Germany corvette, the guy wants $900 and I'm taking it into serious consideration. Though it has bronze frets, not bell brass, which was my question, as bronze is a mixture of copper and tin while brass is comprised of copper and zinc, just wondering if there is any real difference when it comes to being used as a fret material. I also understand that most Warwicks have a bit darker sound because of the wood choice, as compared to the Spector on my list, which is all maple. Overall I'm really looking for versatility, cause the bass I choose will be going from school Jazz Band performances to rehearsals with heavier genre bands this summer, as well as any and everything in between.

4. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

My choice would be a Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 in that price range. Probably the best new production bass under $1k.

5. TankJon666

TankJon666 SS.org Regular

I had the 5 string Warwick Corvette in swamp ash with gold hardware. Oh.My.God. Was that bass awesome!!!!!!!!

...I sold it :(

I have a habit of selling stuff that I really like :lol:

Anyway, go for the Warwick!!

6. ImN0tTelling

I tried one out, and didn't really like it, thought I'd give Schecter another chance, but I really dislike Schecter products, don't like their feel at all. Haha

7. ImN0tTelling

Also found a PBC 6-string headless for $750, looks pretty entertaining, opinions?

8. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

Just get what feels right man either the P.B.C. or Warwick will be excellent for almost any applications you cant go wrong.

9. ImN0tTelling

Thanks man, really appreciate the input!

10. Warwick_Official

Warwick_Official SS.org Regular

Although sometimes referred to as Bronze....Warwick uses Chruch Bell Brass alloy for fret material. It is incredibly durable, and harder than nickel/silver alloy. Hope this helps!

11. ImN0tTelling

Thank you, this has been extremely helpful!

12. Warwick_Official

Warwick_Official SS.org Regular

Glad I could help! Please let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with...